PDA

View Full Version : Bowfishing

treestandtimmy
10-10-2006, 03:48 PM
I was watching some national bowfishing tourney for carp on the outdoor channel, and it looks like alot of fun. Is anyone around here involved or have just done it before. I'd love to give it a shot sometime.

Grizzly Gary
10-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Never done any bow fishing myself. Seen guys a couple times up at the tail race trying to thump carp. Didn't have much success while I was watching them. Maybe they were as bad a shot as JIMMY1SHOT! :lol: I think him & Hornz spend to much time in the barn together.

Grizzly Gary

carl milks
10-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Started out yrs ago shooting carp in Tuna Creek. Since then, every once in a while, I'll take my bow with me out in the boat on the Zoo- sneak along with troll motor, get close and have fun. They cruise along the surface feeding and with care, you can easily get within range. Good way to pass time and do something differant and help keep the population in check. Remember your point of aim will be differant with the refraction of the water. It takes a few shots to get the hang of it. Expect a few misses til you catch on.

treestandtimmy
10-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Do you set up your own bow, or can you buy reel kits to mount on the bow? And I noticed the arrows they were using didn't have fletching on them, or was I mistaken.

carl milks
10-17-2006, 03:52 PM
You can buy reel kits to mount in the threaded hole on riser of bow where you would screw in a stabilizer. The normal arrows used for this are a solid fiberglass with a "screw on/off fishpoint". The fletching is small rubber vanes. The shaft has a crosshole near nock to put the line thru that in turn is wrapped onto the reel. Another method is to use your regular aluminum arrows with old broadheads- the arrows float back up after a miss, but the downside is if a hit is made, it may take awhile for the fish to surface. This method is not recommended, but will work if your hits are lethal on the carp. I usually try to make head/gill shots, they don't go far hit there.

treestandtimmy
10-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Pretty interesting stuff carl, thanks for the info.

darcher
11-20-2006, 01:44 PM
I have done it a couple of times, not with a lot of success, but about wore myself out. Lots of fun. I have an old bow set up for it now but have never used it. We have thought about trying a tournament in our area, lot of work, but would be loads of fun!! Any interest?

carl milks
11-21-2006, 08:27 PM
That sounds like fun- I'd be interested.

goosedowner
11-30-2006, 09:49 PM
I bought an old Bear whitetail bow years ago for just this purpose but never got around to it. If I ever round up enough money for a new duck boat I will have to set up my bow so i have a reason to get the boat out in the summer.