PDA

View Full Version : Ny archery 2008

treerat
01-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Wow you guys are going to have a short season in 2008 .
October 18 - November 14, 2008
Pa early season will be
oct4-nov15th .

treestandtimmy
01-21-2008, 06:14 PM
what the heck man, less than a month next year.....BOOOOOOOOOO! Maybe I'll just carry my bow through shotgun too. Make it real hard on myself.

Mighty Mike
01-22-2008, 11:43 AM
that stinks. wonder why it is so much shorter.

mike

treerat
01-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Its because your firearms season starts on the 3rd sat of Nov . Just so happens thats the 15th this year .

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
01-23-2008, 02:47 PM
That really sucks!!! As if it's not tough enough, now it's even shorter. Sucks even more that instead of Thanksgiving being in the middle of opening week it's gonna be during the second week of gun season. Oh well, I still can't wait for it. :wink:

phlstr119
01-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Honestly, I am not sure why we don't just always start the Shotgun Season the same Week as Thanksgiving. It's a great week of gun hunting. If any season is going to be shorter it should be the gun season where it works out better for the most part if we have more guys in the woods keeping the deer moving. If you start spreading this season out the seer find those little quite untouchable areas and it can be real slow hunting. The archery season is the season to lengthen, it takes time to get that close to a good animal and frankly I would like to see and October 1st start date. Why do we need to wait so late into the season, is there any biological reason or did the just put numbers in a hat and draw. The fees for hunting are going up, and most of us can not take off from work, so I say Give Us a Few More Weekends to Enjoy the Great Outdoors. Who's with me Let's get this party started and put on paper and push the crap out of it. Phlstr

treerat
01-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Sounds to me its time for you guys to join your state bow hunting org . strength in numbers . heres a link to what they are trying to do for you .
http://www.newyorkbowhunters.com/New_Folder/future.htm

hunterdeneugene
01-25-2008, 09:42 AM
rumor has it that they are also the main opponents of the rifle bill and as you can see by this website, the number one thing on the list is make the late season archery only.....where does that leave us late season muzzleloaders? Late muzzleloading is my favorite season, and it ****es me off when certain sportsman groups only have their specific interests in mind and not that of all sportsmen.

870Boy
01-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Sounds to me like there maybe some real good hunting the first week of gun season. The 15th should have the deer still rutting.

Does suck that many will not have the vacation time to hunt as much as they would during the holiday week though! This only happens occassionally, due to the fact that season starts third Saturday and Thanksgiving is fourth Thursday.

Grizzly Gary
01-26-2008, 06:25 PM
I for one will be closely watching the Moonbeams to determine the one & only day I need to harvest that 18 point non-typical buck with the 4 drop tines! :roll: :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shocked to read that the New York Season has been so shortened. I favor the Pennsylvania Season.

Who decides these things? I bet they have never hunted Archery in their lives!

phlstr119
01-26-2008, 09:22 PM
I concur with hunterdeneugene in that the NY Bowhunters are a great group, but have a completely different view on a few things that would keep me from joing them. I am a muzzleloader hunter as well, and don't want to see the late season change at all, and I now how this organization feels about crossbow hunters and I want to wee that established as well. I think they have some gret ideas, but they are very one sided. I can live with what we have, but we can certainly petition the DEC as a collective group of NYS Sportsmen and Sportswomen without having to be aligned with just one group. :P

miket389
03-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Less than A month Means for some of us that we'll only be able to hunt 2 or 3 times because of our work schedules.... :x

miket389
03-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Less than A month Means for some of us that we'll only be able to hunt 2 or 3 times because of our work schedules.... :x

boowhooo
03-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Id love to see them shorten gun season to 1 week in NY like they do in Midwestern states. I have guided for the past few years in Illinois and fell a longer bow season and lighter gun season would allow for more deer to reach maturity. To often in Stueben county and else where in the state the young bucks get slaughtered during gun season. Its horrible to pass young bucks all bow season just to see them hanging on your neighbors meat pole opening day of gun season. That and with the way they have butchered the herds by passing out 1,000s of nuisances tags is gut wrenching. I must say its been to years since I have shot a deer in NY and if not for wanting to spend time with friends and family here in Ny I wouldnt even by a license in this state, I would just continue to shoot my deer in Illinois each year. How do you all fell about this?

Tucker Time
03-31-2008, 06:24 AM
I don't mind, the best archery is first week of Nov. anyway. Also if you can't get enough time in NY, plenty of archery in other states. It doesn't even get good down south until our season is over.

hunterdeneugene
04-07-2008, 09:55 PM
I too would like to see NY State go to a 1 week gun season, and make it the week of Thanksgiving. Open Archery on Oct 1st and again after gun season. I would also like to see them run muzzleloader for 2 weeks after the close of gun season and run it concurrently with archery. I would like to see and early muzzleloader season, but the bowhunter groups in NY are dead set against it....

870Boy
04-15-2008, 01:45 PM
I agree with HDE on the early muzzel loader season. I enjoy PA's early doe season with the ole smokepole