PDA

View Full Version : Bow limbs

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
02-04-2008, 05:14 PM
A buddy of mine just had one of the limbs on his bow explode while he was shooting league and it really made me wonder how do you know when you should replace your limbs??? His looked fine so how can you tell??? do any of you have any ideas???

treerat
02-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Hope no one was hurt . Dont know how you would tell they were bad . Most of the bows have lifetime warranty on them .

ICDUCKS
02-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Usually you can find hairline cracks if you inspect closely. Was it a High Country?

02-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Had an old Darton with wooden laminated limbs years ago that blew up on me. I was at full draw and believe me, i took a beatin!!! :shock: Got whacked on the head and to this day i have no idea where my arrow went. :roll: But, i called the company and of course they really took care of me so i didn't bad-mouth their product.I got a new bow out of it!! I really don't know how you could tell if a limb was going bad.I take my bow to my pro shop every year to havet hem take a quick look-over and make sure all is well.Never had any issues since i started doing that. :D 8)

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
02-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Luckily no one was hurt. He had a Browning afterburner, i'm not sure how expensive of a bow it was but you'd think that they would warranty even the lower end models.
Even though my limbs seem fine I tried to find replacements on the Hoyt website and could'nt even find them. It's definately gonna be on my mind due to the fact that my bow is about 14 years old, I just can't justify buying a new bow when they now cost more than a new gun. :roll:

carl milks
02-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Years ago, I had a Bear Whitetail II 70 lbs double cam. I loved that bow. During practice one day, I had shot several times, I got to full draw and just as I released, all hell broke loose!!! The lower limb just shattered, the recoil of it caused the upper limb to split my forhead open (still have the scar). One shroud of f/glass embedded in my left hand. There was tangled cables everywhere. It happened so quick. No signs of anything wrong til it exploded. It hurt my back, neck and just about everything else felt like I had been in a car wreck. I called the company and they said that sometimes those fiberglass laminate limbs will develope a crack you can't see. They replaced the entire bow even tho it was about 6 yrs old. Made me a bit gun shy to shoot again for awhile. I thouroughly inspect my bow each year with a magnifying glass to try & make sure that don't happen again!!!! Thank Goodness no one was hurt in you're episode.

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
02-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Oh man, I can see how that would make you gun shy. I inspected my limbs and they look alright so I guess if it's gonna happen it's gonna happen.

phlstr119
02-23-2008, 11:47 AM
High Country Bows were terrible for this when the first came out. If you watch the pain very close you often can find stress markings or fine feathering at the mid way point of the limb. I had a tear drop let loose without warning on an old pse bow. Sounded like a gun went off and all hell broke loose as the arrow shot of ove a very short overdraw rest I had, the string slapped my wrist and I had a mark for about 2 months from that little whip. I even had a recurve that was brand spanking new delaminate on me at the handle when I was shooting. That was the end of me wanting to hunt with a recurve.

Always look at those limbs and arrows close to be sure. I do know this, I would never trust a bos once I have had a problem, it just plays in the back of your mind and messes up your head.

Best of Luck, Glad there was no serious injury :(