PDA

View Full Version : How many treestands does a hunter need??

coalbedbuck
02-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Ok, just filled the wife in that I want a new climber and a hang-on... She rolled her eyes and asked "how many ____in treestands do you need? " My reply was " as many as I have good spots for" which got me another roll of the eyes.. I have 2 hang ons, 3 ladder stands,a pop-up blind, and about 3 rocks that I hunt from. With me planning on hunting NY and OH as welll this season I feel that a climber and at least another hang on is nessiscary.. What do you guys think???

treerat
02-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Absolutely need more stands .What was she thinking :lol: .I have 3hang ons 3 ladders and a climber . Honestly I use the climber 98% of the time .But dont tell your wife that or you will just end up with the climber . :lol:

coalbedbuck
02-16-2008, 09:25 PM
good call!!!!! thanks

ratherbhuntin
02-16-2008, 10:39 PM
I have 2 hang ons a climber a ladder stand and a pop up blind but last year i switched to mostly using my climber unless i hit the snooze button and have to scramble to get around then i use a hangon.

coalbedbuck
02-16-2008, 10:42 PM
I was thinking the climber may be a pain in the morning... what have you guys noticed? are they noisy and clunky to get set up?

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
02-16-2008, 10:52 PM
I have 5 hang ons and 3 ladders but you can never have enough. :lol: As for climbers, they are great for moving around but they are also a pain if you wanna sneak in or out. I like to have my stand all ready up so I can just get out there and hunt. :D But that's just my personal preferance.

mikeymjr23
02-17-2008, 03:17 AM
It depends on the climber. I have one that is a little older, and has metal that goes around the tree, and that takes quite a bit of time to set up. My cousin has one with cables that go around the tree, and that is much quicker. I sometimes dread taking the climber out, just because it can be such a pain the the butt to set up in little time.
If you can get a climber that is cables, it is much nicer.

I personally either like my ladder stand, or sitting on the ground/ground blind. I have a few ground blinds that I have constructed that work much nicer than stands at times.

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
02-17-2008, 07:21 AM
I built two ground blinds that I save for days when it's too windy to sit in the tree. You really can't beat a good set up on the ground, as long as you blend right in.

tunadawg
02-17-2008, 07:46 AM
I have 5 ladders, 2 home built stands, and a climber. Usually the best reply to give to a wife when they ask how much or how many items we need for hunting is: HOW MANY FREAKIN' PAIRS OF SHOES DO YOU NEED?!!!

ICDUCKS
02-17-2008, 07:50 AM
ABSOFREAKINLUTLY MY BROTHER! Alright,get your wife over here and Ill straighten her out! You can never-never-never have too many stands! These women today.Getting all fired up and tellin us what we need and dont need,who the hell do they think they are?
I just had to straighten mine out on the same exact subject!I told her I needed to find a good treestand or two. She told me to go right out and get 1 or 2! And she said while your out there might as well get a girl friend and a good lawyer. See how I handle these women?

Well I gotta go my wife is tellin me to get my chores done,Dont want to make her mad.

treerat
02-17-2008, 10:00 AM
I have a Summit viper for a climber . Use it all the time for morning hunts . Its one with cables and is fairly quiet to set up in the dark . Most places I hunt the deer dont get there until after day light .

ratherbhuntin
02-17-2008, 10:22 AM
yeah climbers can be noisy but as long as your not right next to the bedding area you should be ok. When i shot my buck this year i got in the woods 20 mins late then in my rush to get set up i climbed up the wrong tree but it still was less than an hour before i seen my buck.

coalbedbuck
02-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Well sounds like I need to get a good climber, why settle for the cheapest. You get what you pay for. I agree with JJ, I also like to have a lot of my stands up and ready to rock whenever i want to use em.. The climber is for when I find that new rubline or other hot sign and want to stay mobile. I will also be usin the climber on the out of state hunts. The Ultimate Viper SS is what I was thinking of going with... For a hank on the Gorilla kong lounger, it has a back rest and arm rails.. I'm starting to look for comfort in a treestand!!!!! Thanks for the opinions guys!!!

steve6526
02-17-2008, 11:41 AM
i have a summit 180 love it .quiet and real comfortable all kinds of room face out or face the tree . seat hangs down inside the top rail can take a snooze and not wory about falling out. and you can still draw your bow. it has the rubber coted cables quiet and fast.

ratherbhuntin
02-17-2008, 03:10 PM
yep you cant really go wrong with any summitt.

Tucker Time
02-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Can I get in. I use my Summit climber to check the area out. Then I will find the place a hanger will be most effective. I have a couple different kinds of hangers but most fond of my Gorilla. Light, sturdy, and easy to hang. I tend to drop things out of my stand, I know nobody else has this problem so it pertains to me. lol You can get in and out of a hanger fast and quite. Some places you cant find good tree's to climb.

Bwanna Jim
02-18-2008, 10:27 AM
I have 6 Ameaker hang ons,they don't make them anymore :cry: 2 ladders and a Summit climber. Only need the climber to find the honey spots then I put up the hangers well in advance of the archery season. It's a nice system that works well and limits noise during the season. One ladder is in the back yard for practice and the other is for my girl friend as she isn't comfortable too high off the ground!

carl milks
02-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Being such a "petite" person @ 5'11" and 245 lbs, I never trusted any boughten stands. I've made my own (since 1971). Thru all these yrs, I've accumulated 8 hanging stands w/climbing sticks, 2 climbers and 1 ladder. It's nice to set up several stands in different locations ahead of time. I prefer the hangers, as all I gotta do is walk in, climb the stix and I'm in stand in 30 seconds and quietly. They also work on ANY tree-crooked or straight, ect. Climbers are a bit noisy, but I just don't care about doing chin ups or leg thrusts that early in the morning!!! But they are great for portability. The ladder, comes in handy where the others won't/don't work. A bit awkward and time consuming to set up, it works well in many circumstances. As for the amount of stands? You can NEVER have too many stands!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

hunterdeneugene
02-18-2008, 11:31 AM
I have 3 hang on stands, 2 ladders and a climber. We also have a bunch of permanent stands @ the camp that we use. I still feel like if I see a good deal on a stand I should buy it because I don't ever feel like one could have enough stands.

treestandtimmy
02-19-2008, 10:44 AM
There is no such thing as too many......I hang as many as I can get my hands on. I would give you a count of how many we had, but I'm afraid I would miss a dozen or so. :lol:

phlstr119
02-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Your problem might not be that you don't have enough tree stands, rather perhaps you have one to many wives. I have run into the same problem at my house from time to time and I remind her I could start spending alot of time in the local bars and that those ladies of the evening can be very expensive. She no longer cares what I spend on hunting stuff so long as it is not in her way and I get the heck out of the house as often as possible. Problem Solved. :wink: