PDA

View Full Version : Groundblind, buy one or make shift?

treestandtimmy
10-19-2006, 10:06 AM
I've always been one to go out at noon or so and create a makeshift groundblind if I get in an area I don't have a stand, does anyone have any of the portable blinds? and what are the advantages/dissadvantages to it?

treerat
10-19-2006, 08:24 PM
I had one until today .more on that later . it was a double bull t2 blind .they are very good for taking kids . also very good along field edges . Would be good for some one who is afraid of heights or just not able to use a treestand comfortabley . Very good for getting out of wind and rain .
Disadvantages not being able to see all directions . have to shoot sitting and or kneeling .
I personly prefer to hunt out of tree stands . probably only hunted out of mine 8-10 times in 5 years .
Heres why I dont have one any more . My uncle borrowed mine at the beginning of the Pa season . He had it sitting behind his place and it was vandalized .It seems bear very much dislike blinds . he said a bear shredded the thing. He has it duct taped up now .and paid me for the blind . So big dissadvantage is BEARS DONT LIKE THEM MUCH . Just glad my uncle wasnt in the thing when it was shreded .
very good for turkey hunting .I had a flock of birds come by last season with in 3yds . I tried to see how much movement you could get away with ..You cannot be seen by turkeys in the thing .
Iam going to miss my blind :(

Grizzly Gary
10-20-2006, 02:16 PM
As I get older I think about ground blinds as opposed to treestands.Fot the same reasons treerat states I haven't purchased one yet. Poor visibility being the main factor. Guess i'll stick to the stands a few more years.

Grizzly Gary

treerat
10-20-2006, 08:48 PM
your just scared of bears Gary .

Outdoorsman
10-20-2006, 09:33 PM
I highly recomend the double bull blind. Its perfect for comfort and offers all you need. I bought a cheap one some time ago, it was joke. No room and no comfort.

darcher
11-21-2006, 02:18 AM
The Doublebulls are by far the best. Here again, as I get older they become more enticing! The good ones are lined with odor absorbing material that is black so as to also help conceal you better. No silloette to spook the game. I have some good hunting spots with no trees to get into, so a good blind works well, gotta love em!

carl milks
12-03-2006, 06:53 AM
Friday & Saturday's winds should prove one DISADVANTAGE- can you say parachute???

treestandtimmy
12-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Wow, I didn't even think of what the wind does to them. That would have sucked big time.

01-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I use Ameristep Doghouse. I think the Double Bulls are great, I just can't see spending that much money. Which ever you choose, get your self a good comfortable seat. DICK's sells one, with a back rest and NO arms it's perfect for archery hunting. One thing I can tell you, DON'T wear camo. Wear a BLACK top and use a BLACK ninla style hood or either paint your face with some BLACK face paint to help blend in. Scent can be a problem. You may want to invest in one of the scent eleminator suits.

Hunt Smart and Safe

MUZ

treestandtimmy
01-22-2007, 03:02 PM
That makes alot of sense, I never thought about not wearing camo in a blind. Black makes perfect sense.

buzzbait1965
03-01-2007, 07:30 AM
I have used the 3' high material type with good sucess. Very inexpensive and very portable. You don't get the overall concealment but as long as you use trees or brush to cover your movements there ok. The property I hunt doesn't have many large trees and I'm not fond of going real high (no feathers or wings) so I stick out like a sore thumb.

I saw a neat one while I was surveying last year. It was a permanent one made out of lattice. I'm telling you it was damn near invisible, painted camo with some flora placed in various spots. Of course you couldn't move it but if you have a spot that is a proven deer spot it might be the ticket.

zenrider
03-01-2007, 09:30 AM
I believe, if you read your regulations, that you are NOT allowed to build a blind from natural materials in PA. Blinds must be of man-made materials (i.e. fabrics/ panels etc.)

Meanwhile, I purchased the Doghouse, it is touted as a two man blind. That would be so if you are gun hunting. My experience is that it is just right for one archer. I have taken a few deer from it now and probably may never return ot a treestand again. I have had hunters walk within yards before they spotted me. Advantages: MUCH warmer with addition of small tent type propane heater, never worry about the rain, wind and scent problems disappear (especially with scent guard blinds), movement is concealed, noise is buffered greatly, can stay out dawn until dusk, zip it up and take a nap if need be, all your gear can dry out inside, take off your heavy coat for greater movement and silence(archers), makes a great base camp if you like to take short hikes and drives near a central area, lighter than most trees stands, sets up in minutes, you don't need to find that perfect tree sized for your treestand and still in shooting range, deer are pretty much oblivious to my presence. Disadvantages: limited visibility depending on window/shooting hole configuration, a bit bulky to transport but I usually take mine in loaded on my deer hauler or toboggan, can attract vandals (that keeps me from sleeping well if I left it out overnight), ALWAYS use the extra wind ropes and stakes, need a large enough area to set it up but generally more options than a treestand.

All said, I am hooked. I have always been a stand hunter and with my sensitivity to cold increasing with age, the additional creature comforts of sitting on my stool and cooking lunch on a sterno stove, I will not leave home without my blind and stool.

Grizzly Gary
03-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Groud blinds are sounding better & better to me. As I get older it is more difficult to put this chubby little body up in that tree. As I read about your experience with them I see they have many benefits.

Wearing black does make perfect sense when ya think about it.

Grizzly Gary

treestandtimmy
03-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Grizz,
all I know is that we will find out the answer to the question this spring buddy.

22-T
03-07-2007, 07:51 AM
From my very little experiences;

First on the ground, behind bushes and sat on a swivel-seat chained to a tree.. Open enough for space, but lousy visibility and couldn't get clear shot for the large buck on the other side of the brush that was Positively P'OD at me for being between him and a doe...Boy was I scared.

Second one was a giant large wood shipping crate with, cammo material stapled to the outside, with a upside down bucket and cushion for a seat - fantastic and I felt very safe with lots of room to move, downside was actually climbing into 'quietly' - I'm short and with lots of clothing and gear and a bow was not at all easy, I would recommend cutting in a door.

Third, ground posts with material around me, looked through slits, very easy to carry into woods however.... = not far enough away from arm length to move with bow, wind blowing was an immense distraction, thought I was being attacked by rabid squirrels & bunnies, DID NOT feel safe, and it was constantly falling down.

Fourth - Open Tree stands = feels safe from bears, but every critter in a 5 mi radious saw me.

And Thank God ! This Year....Finally a Closed Tree Fort = built by a friend who a fanatic hunter and it rivaled Fort Knox, very safe, very roomy and great location...thinking of moving in with a small wood stove :D

Grizzly Gary
03-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Wood can be very noisy. Never thought of the wind factor regarding a ground blind but it sure makes sense. Like the sounds of something being very portable and easy to put up. Treestandtimmy let's get on that brilliant idea of yours! :lol:

Grizzly Gary

treestandtimmy
03-13-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm on it Grizz, like I told you we'll be testing it this spring 8)

Grizzly Gary
03-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Looking forward to it TST. As I said it will be very nice to have a lite and easy to carry set up. I have always been a fan of ladder stands because they are already there. Carrying the bow & back pak is enough for this chubby hunter!

treestandtimmy
03-21-2007, 10:45 AM
chubby is an understatement :lol:

Grizzly Gary
04-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Low blow TST! :lol: Hey Mighty Mike is looking for a ground blind to hunt Turkey Birds.

04-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Like i said in the other post about hunting turkeys in the spring with a bow, i just purchased a ground blind from Cabelas last weekend.Its a Cabelas brand.it has 12 mesh shoot-thru windows or you can open them up.The trick we found out{the hard way of course} is that you want to make sure that the mesh is tight.If its loose,the arrow will "kick" to one side or the other.We also have the folding chairs with no arms that we use in our blinds.As far as the wind factor, all of ours have stake loops to anchor them down.Hunted in the wind many times and never had any issues.I'm the same age as Gary and also like being on the ground more and more but i'm also using ladder stands.With the black interior,its good to wear something dark on your chest and head so it cuts down on your movement being seen.I never worry about scent control in the blind with turkeys and as far as deer,i just try to keep down wind.I've shot over 100 whitetails with no scent loc suit and i'm not buying it now.Millions of monster bucks have been killed without it. :lol:

woodlandtrophies
04-13-2007, 12:17 AM
I am scared to death to get into a climber or ladder stand. I have a 8ft stand my hubby made for me just for shotgun season, but all of archery & for turkey i have an Ameristep Doghouse blind.
The only fault & a BIG fault at that is it is seen by the deer. Have to use the screens, black holes scare the hell outta deer! Then something about the material, its got a shine to it that stands out. I have found it is lessened if you set up in a lot of brush, to break up the "unusual" look to it. Toss some branches on it, leaves.. it helps. I also set up my blind & leave it for a week or longer to get any deer used to it.
I bought a teepee style blind last archery season, very cramped >.< but it had a lesser sheen to it then the Ameristep brand (I honestly cannot recall the brand name now) & I got a hefty buck out of it about an hour before dark! I set up in a fallen tree, not much cover & it had started to snow (first snow of the year).
I for one love my blind. Just gotta work out all the kinks. Hopefully this year I can get a Double Bull!

treestandtimmy
08-29-2007, 10:19 AM
I still don't think anything beats taking the time to cut some branches, stack it up with underbrush and leaves. Make it three sided and you are in baby!! I usually look for a little help with the natural terrrain, find a 2-3' deep hole and you got yourself a nature made bunker. :wink: