PDA

View Full Version : NEW ARROWS CARBON OR ALUMINIUM?

Bwanna Jim
02-21-2008, 12:42 PM
I am from the Jamestown area and need some new arrows. Talked to Les at the 3D shoot(HOW ABOUT THOSE SCORES OLD GRIZZELED ONE!!!!!) and he said come down to the shop. Does anyone know where on 62 to turn comming from Jim Town? Left or right headed towards Warren. Is there anyone else close who makes good arrows at a good price? Thinking about switching to carbons? Thanks for any help :wink:

J-k
02-21-2008, 12:49 PM
With advice from alot of people i switched last year to carbon and i love them. I buy my arrows from Tall Tales in Russell. I know the owner well, so i tend to give him my money.

coalbedbuck
02-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I go to Wild Wind Sporters in Starbirck, best archery guys I know of.... Go with carbon.

treestandtimmy
02-22-2008, 10:14 PM
I go to Wild Wind Sporters in Starbirck, best archery guys I know of.... Go with carbon.

What He Said

Grizzly Gary
02-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Turn left at Valones Used Car lot at the blinking light. Go down to Main St. in Russell and turn left. Pine Grove Archery is on the left.

Les Lyon is a good man who knows his stuff. 814-757-9514

For now i'm sticking with aluminum.

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
02-23-2008, 01:30 PM
I've always liked aluminum, and have never had a problem. I figure why fix it if it aint broken?? But who knows maybe someday i'll make the switch.

Tucker Time
02-24-2008, 11:31 AM
I like carbon. Both are fine to hunt or shoot with. I would only make the change if you are ready for new arrows.

Bwanna Jim
02-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Well after the shoot at His Way Archers I found that aluminum does not hold up to wall shots :shock: I know foam is my friend. I have seen some of my buddies shoot 10-15 yds. further than me without having to change pins? Most of them only have 2 pins while I have 3 and my max distance is 40 yds. They say I will gain speed and distance. But won't I loose energy also switching to carbons?

Have also heard if the arrow breaks in the animal you can't eat it due to contamination of the meat from the carbon fibers? Is this true?

Wild Wind Rob
02-25-2008, 01:17 PM
They say I will gain speed and distance. But won't I loose energy also switching to carbons?

Have also heard if the arrow breaks in the animal you can't eat it due to contamination of the meat from the carbon fibers? Is this true?

Energy is the product of weight and speed. What you lose in weight will result in increased speed, keeping your energy pretty close.

The arrow breaking will not ruin the deer.

Mighty Mike
02-26-2008, 12:25 PM
still have to many aluminums to change now. once a ruin 6 or 7 more i will probably switch to carbon. dont like hearing about those carbon arrows blowing up though.

mike

Bwanna Jim
02-26-2008, 12:43 PM
still have to many aluminums to change now. once a ruin 6 or 7 more i will probably switch to carbon. dont like hearing about those carbon arrows blowing up though.

mike

I hear you Mike. Have been told that if the carbon arrow blows up or breaks off in the animal there is know way for sure to know if the carbon fibers have traveled through to the meat. I for one don't want to ingest any of that stuff.I'm guessing it could mess you up bad!!! Not saying your wrong Rob but I have heard this even from WCO's who have issued tags to hunters who's arrows shattered hitting bone? The hunters did not want to take the risk!

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
02-26-2008, 04:52 PM

mike

I hear you Mike. Have been told that if the carbon arrow blows up or breaks off in the animal there is know way for sure to know if the carbon fibers have traveled through to the meat. I for one don't want to ingest any of that stuff.I'm guessing it could mess you up bad!!! Not saying your wrong Rob but I have heard this even from WCO's who have issued tags to hunters who's arrows shattered hitting bone? The hunters did not want to take the risk!
Ive always heard the same thing. I Never wanted to take the chance.

Tucker Time
02-26-2008, 06:01 PM
You think they would ban them if there was serious problem. I haven't had any problems personally.

02-26-2008, 10:57 PM
No-brainer-Carbon---if they're in one piece,and aren't cracked,they're good to go.Once you shoot an animal with aluminum,chances are they aren't straight anymore.I shot them for many years and they're ok but now that i've seen what carbon will do,i'll never go back.I started with Carbon Express,then went to Gold Tips and now i shoot the Easton Axis because of the smaller diameter arrow,Hidden Insert Tech. and the heavier wall thickness.Still have most of the previous brands i bought before and still shoot them at 3-D shoots and small game.Still good arrows. 8)