PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing

Ed Yohe
10-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Hey all,
I was standing outside the house last night and I swear I could hear the lake making ice, lol. Bring on the ice, then we can get into some real fishing, hard water style. Maybe they will let a little water out of the lake before the ice comes on, Doesn't look like we can do that project Gary for a while as the water is still at summer pool.

Filling up the power auger as we speak, lol
Ed Yohe

Old School Dave
10-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Bring on the ice, then we can get into some real fishing, hard water style
Me too Ed,we only had a week of good ice last year and I'm chomping at the bit.

carl milks
10-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Me three Ed!!! I never got out last year- just when I had the time, the ice went off & never came back. Yeah Ed, it sure looks like our "meeting" might have to be postponed- even if they drop it down, it's gonna be a bit soft to sit on. Oh well, we got time-I hope!!!

Grizzly Gary
10-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Me four! I also did not get on Kinzua at all last year. When the ice was good I wasn't. Got out on Chautauqua a couple of times at Mayville with Charliedog. Got some nice fat gills and crappie. Never caught an eye thru the ice. I would have made a sizable bet with someone telling me I will not get an eye thru the ice on the Zoo. Hopefully this will be a much better year.

Yes "The Meeting" is not looking good. Would also made a bet that the Zoo would not still be at summer pool by now. Go figure.

Grizzly Gary

bucksnort
10-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Ice already don't jump the gun yet!!!! Come to Pittsburgh and try the river in winter. lots of fish no ice, and don't need to drill holes!!!
Ask Darren pound about fishin down here!!!
Bucksnort

Action
10-22-2006, 07:55 AM
I was under the understanding that we're going to have a mild winter this year and very little if any good ice . I fish the rivers all winter and do very little ice fishing but I've seen the walleye that get caught out of Kinzua through the ice and I can see why you guys are anxious for ice to happen. Why can't those fish be found in the summer ? :?

Buck Master
10-22-2006, 08:28 PM
I went ice fishing with Grizzly twice.................there wont be a 3rd time. :pale:

:pale:

Gilligan
10-22-2006, 09:15 PM
I went ice fishing with Grizzly twice.................there wont be a 3rd time. :pale:

My sentiments zactly! Closest I will be to ice will be when I go to the freezer for a couple cubes to chill the Dew!

Bryan Hoffner
10-23-2006, 06:14 AM
Jumping the gun here a little aren't we guys!!!!!

Had a talk with "red eye" (my boat) this past weekend and I realized that we still have fall fishing coming up. I personally have not had enough time on the boat in 06' and will not wish for ice until I'm sick of putting chains on the truck to get the boat in the water.

Even though I love ice fishing as much as the next I hope we have one of those winters that the lund only gets a short rest from new years to at latest the end of january. Last time this happened we smacked the heck out of the fish better than ever.

MR ED
10-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Hey guys...Check out the pool level. Today it is at 5 feet ABOVE summer pool. When will they start to draw down?? Don't want that ice to be 20 feet above the water. :lol:

MR ED

Willow Creeker
10-23-2006, 02:07 PM
I can attest to what keith said, if you want 100 +fish days, head to pittsburgh, its a blast. The only thing I didn,t like was the lodging, and finding the launch ramp, but a GREAT fishery.

The best open water fishing has started to happen on the zoo, even with the water levels. Best is yet to come, wait till the leaves all fall of the tree's and you will see the big ones.

I hate to put down the poles to hunt, so now I do both.

Gotta love this time of year!!!!!

Tom Means

Mighty Mike
10-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Never fished Kinzu ice. Always spend my time on Chautauqua. Hope this year is better for walleye. It has been pretty bad the last couple.

Mike

Bryan Hoffner
10-25-2006, 05:49 AM
Well i guess in the end you guys are scared to hang out with Gary on the ice.
You are invited on my expeditions Gary, I do believe that a great time would be had. It can't be any scarier than the crew I run with.
It's always fun when I get Cole, Kevin, Sawyer, and the ever and always pain in my rear Findley the golden retriever out on the ice. Fish are always abundant and the laughs are worth a million bucks.

eyedoktr
10-25-2006, 06:59 AM
Yup. I can't wait to sit on a bucket out in the open air with 10 degrees and 20 MPH winds. Gotta love it. Right Gilligan

FisherMOM
10-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Yup. I can't wait to sit on a bucket out in the open air with 10 degrees and 20 MPH winds. Gotta love it. Right Gilligan

ok... I had been fancying (once the season got underway)
Seeing if I could make plans to head some of ya'll's way to see
if I could have a crack (no pun intended) at ice fishing with someone
who know's what they are doing.

But after that comment.. maybe I would be too wimpy! lol!

eyedoktr
10-25-2006, 09:02 AM
FisherMom, no need to worry. I am very much looking forward to another season on the ice. I would be happy to help you along and get you interested in the sport.

As you may have figured out by some of the posts on this site, I am just a tad bit off the wall. (I 'm sure a couple of others i.e Gilligan and T.O.I. will argue that it's more than a tad bit though).

I just prefer to sit out in the open and take in nature instead of sitting in an enclosure all day.

Tone
10-25-2006, 04:27 PM
I am also ready for a little hard water. After not getting out at all last year I am soooo ready. Get them tip-up set up, get that tent set up, get that stove goin, and get the backstraps a fryin :D

Grizzly Gary
10-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Looks like I will have to have my nose to the wind and hunt you done Tone! :lol:

Grizzly Gary

John Lorenzo
10-27-2006, 08:46 AM
you guys are nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

eyedoktr
10-27-2006, 08:58 AM
why don't we have a Grizzly Gary Get Together this winter? It could be on Chautauqua Lake or even Conesus lake. At least at Conesus it's guaranteed to catch fish. I figure that Conesus is only a couple of hours from Jamestown. It would be a great way to introduce ourselfs to each other and for those who have thought about ice fishing to give it a try without having to buy any equipment.

ChetO
10-27-2006, 10:36 AM
I have never ice fished on Conesus but do pretty well on Lake Erie. I would be glad to give Conesus a try if others were going.

TONY ON ICE
10-27-2006, 02:23 PM
EYEDOKTR
"A little off the wall" ??
What an understatememnt !
I will admit that you are of your rocker the way you hover over the hole in the ice in temps that aren't fit for a polar bear !
I remember when I met you on Coneseus a few years back and had to chisel the icicles from your beard just to see who you were !
Ya see, I respect my elders and this season, if I see you out there frozen to a bucket, I'll get the propane torch and thaw you out.
It's the least I can do !!
I may even share some of my tequila with you !

PS..come to Oneida right now !!

FISHER MOM
If you want to give icefishing a try, I have all the essential items you'll need to keep you warm and to catch fish. Coneseus would be an awsome trip for everyone.
Loads of very hungry and willing panfish and pike. Even the lowly bass fishermen would have fub here as the largemouths are huge and always feeding.
Eyedoktr is just a poster child for self torture !!

Gilligan
10-27-2006, 05:56 PM
why don't we have a Grizzly Gary Get Together this winter? It could be on Chautauqua Lake or even Conesus lake. At least at Conesus it's guaranteed to catch fish. I figure that Conesus is only a couple of hours from Jamestown. It would be a great way to introduce ourselfs to each other and for those who have thought about ice fishing to give it a try without having to buy any equipment.

A winter get together???
How bout at the Willows!

Gilligan
10-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Only way I could come close to describing Eyedoktrs ice capades would be somewhere between the movies Grumpy Old Men and Gone Fishing!

My 1 and ONLY trip with Eyedoktr came after he promised 'big' things like 6-8# walleye. Big fish of the day was a 6" perch, walked miles through 15" of slush. Laid awake all night with leg cramps, missed 3 days of work recovering and 2 weeks at the chiropractor!

The only place I know of where the mad doctor could get an ice fishing partner would be at North Warren psychiatric hospital!

jiggingshad11
10-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Sounds like a GREAT Idea, hope I can get Gilligan to pull my ice shanty again!! GILLIGAN :roll:

Scurry
10-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Hey guys...Check out the pool level. Today it is at 5 feet ABOVE summer pool. When will they start to draw down?? Don't want that ice to be 20 feet above the water. :lol:

MR ED

I'm not an ice fisherman but would like to give it a try, was going to go with a guy last year but could never get our schedules to work out. My question is--is it really possible to have the ice 20 feet above the water??? Have heard on ice fishing forums some said they have seen it others say it's not possible. Me-- it seems hard to believe that much weight could be supported by nothing, it would collapse under its own weight.

Gilligan
10-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Sounds like a GREAT Idea, hope I can get Gilligan to pull my ice shanty again!! GILLIGAN :roll:

OOPS...forgot Jiggingshad was part of that fiasco! Maybe Eyedoktr won't need to to N Warren for a partner after all!!

FisherMOM
10-27-2006, 09:37 PM
I think a Grizzly Gary Ice Outting is a "COOL" idea! :wink:

Sounds good eyedoc and Tony, and thanks!...
I'll keep watching the threads and see if an ICE OUTTING is going to happen.
I'll do what I can to get to go. My teen wants to try it too!

Buck Master
10-27-2006, 10:05 PM
My question is--is it really possible to have the ice 20 feet above the water??? Have heard on ice fishing forums some said they have seen it others say it's not possible. Me-- it seems hard to believe that much weight could be supported by nothing, it would collapse under its own weight.

Shhhhh......(In a hushed voice): you are correct again...that much weight would never stay suspended on its own...but the story helps keep the wannabe ice fishermen away, leaving more for the "brave ones" .

Grizzly Gary
10-28-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm up for an ice outing! Where and when? Suggestions? Kinzua at Willow Bay is fine by me but remember that Kinzua is mostly a tip-up affair. I am in any way the group decides.

Grizzly Gary

eyedoktr
10-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Gilligan, if you remember, you were the one that asked me to go icefishing with you and jiggingshad. Hey, nobody made you drag out that heated shanty to fish from, it was a beautiful day.

Gary, tip-ups??? No way, that's even more boring than trolling on open water. Gotta jig 'em up.

True Fisher
10-28-2006, 11:34 PM
If you check out the still shot in the video links at the bottom.....this was taken 3 days ago here in central Wisconsin on a 108 acre lake.....as we cut through the ice to get to our creek arm.....
http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=172907&cdate=20061023

In the second video you can see my buddy John casting a spinnerbait and dragging it back on the ice....it was 1/4" thick.....my log books indicate water temp 13 degrees colder this year than same date last year!

In this second link....check out John...topwater spinnerbait fishing on the ice..LOL
http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=172907&cdate=20061024

"Happy Holidays to all" and a safe ice season coming up. I will be headed for the NAIFC Championships Dec. 16/17 in Alexandria Minnesota....I do believe a couple of NewYork teams are headed there also to compete for the North American Ice Fishing Championship.......Can't wait!

TONY ON ICE
10-29-2006, 03:06 AM
GRIZZ

Tip ups ??? What the heck are they ? Look, if you're bringing tip ups, I'm bringing horse shoes that we can toss at them !! Tip ups can be very productive but they're about as boring and repulsive as hearing that Hillary Clinton is coming to town !
I know you like to keep your hands free for other activities but this time, you'll have to take them out of your pockets and fish like a human being.... not a pilgrim !
Coneseus is definitely the spot to gather. Short walk to loads of quality fish, lodging, restaurants, gas stations etc, basically right across the street from the park where we fish.
I'll bring the tequila, beer and XS energy drink.....you bring the "Bait Babe" :lol:

True Fisher
10-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Grizz.....If you are into tip ups..when I come out I can bring the owner of Beaver dam tip ups.....he lives a stones, well a 30-06 shell away from here...LOL!!
TOI.....how's pops?? LOBY!

jiggingshad11
10-29-2006, 09:48 AM
does anybody use tip-downs and what do they look like? I started using them last year, crappie-perch-bluegill-eye's

TONY ON ICE
10-29-2006, 01:06 PM
LOBY
Pops is doing great since I yanked him out of the nursing home/rehab on Friday morning. If it wasn't so windy here today (30 to 60 MPH), we'd be at the lake catching walleyes and catfish.
Tomorrow is another day.

Oh yeah.....please don't let Grizz in on any modern Tip Ups. He needs to come out of the "Dark Ages" not into them !! :lol:

JIGGINSHAD
Tip downs are awsome. With a little inginuity, you can design them with an attached rod/reel and still use 5 of them on the ice while still being able to use 2 standard rod/reel outfits. Tip Downs catch a lot of fish on Lake Champlain and other bodies of water. Great way to relax and fish plus they're much easier to rig than tip ups.

True Fisher
11-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Fisher's...you gotta give these babies a try. We do alot of crappie fishing at night, broken mantles, spilled fuel, hot halogen energy eating canvas melting lights...no more.

***15 cluster L.E.D. Light..........24 hour runtime on vex battery...dual system around 16 hours...cool burn, charge your glow lures, mountable anywhere in your shak.........one does a pro shak size, 2 for a Guide/Otter....I have 3 in my guide and one is for an auxillery to look outside, walking off the ice etc. Take a peek at these.

Click on link:
http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=172907&cdate=20061103

"Make your fishing trip enjoyable and safe!!

Grizzly Gary
11-06-2006, 08:42 PM
OK i'll admit it I am stupid! What the hell are tip-downs??? Please describe them for me and all here as I can't believe I am the only one out of the loop.

T.O.I., I am glad to hear of the positive news of your dad. You clearly are a good son!

Grizzly Gary

TONY ON ICE
11-07-2006, 12:15 PM
GRIZZ
Tip downs are basically a rod rest . The rods can be anything from a wooden dowel with a couple line winding pins stuck into them or a rod/reel combo. The rod, whichever you use, is balanced on the rest by the use of a wire or wooden pin that runs through or attached to the rod handle in a purpendicular fashion. This pin sets in a slot or "V" notch in the top of the assembly the holds the rod, The wire pin placement is adjusted so the rods will balance on the rest allowing for free movement in either direction, up or down when a fish strikes.
There are many laws pertaining to these units based on what style rod/reel or wooden dowels you use.
If the rod can be removed to fight the fish, they are not considered tip downs and you can only use 2 of them in NY. If the rods are permanantley attached where you have to hand over hand retrieve the fish, they are considered as tip up and the law allows you to use 5 of them plus your two regular rods.
Maybe the Eyedoktr another member can find a picture of a tip fown to post here. They're very simple but very productive and much easier to use than tip ups.
When Maki and I come down for the radio show spot, we'll bring down a style of rod rest that'll you'll really like.

Thanks for the kind comments.
I let my father read your last post and he said........."Is that guy NUTS ?? "
We're taking a ride to Oneida Lake after lunch to track down some big perch. Now many more days of boating weather that will be mild enough for Pops to get out. This wil be his first trip in the boat since I got him out of that rehab/prisoner of war camp.
Should be another adventure today !!

jiggingshad11
11-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Look in Fishing & Hunting Photos