PDA

View Full Version : Bow Tuning Question or something of the sort!

woodlandtrophies
03-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Ok, braved the ice storm & went to fling some arrows tonight up at His Ways.

Well drew back & my peep had moved. -.- I slid it back down to the proper setting, flung some arrows at the 20 bag, was hitting almost a dot low. Ok no biggy.. flung at the 30 yd, same thing. Figured I must have moved the peep back to a different spot, but was ok, cause it was sitting perfect! Got my 20 dead on, moved to 30, still a dot low, moved the pin, still .. low, moved some more.. again still low. Seems like no matter how much I move that 30 pin, the arrows don't budge!

I am "guessing" my binocs or stabilizer must have bounced loose inside the case & hit something.

Any ideas what this may be? I begged the hubby to take my bow down tomorrow to darcher. Hopefully he doesn't forget it cause I am suppose to go shoot again Thursday night. BAH!

You know this never fails to happen.. something always breaks or goes wrong the week before a big shoot >.< Heading off to Cleveland to shoot on the 15th. :/

treerat
03-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Sounds like you may of had a strand in your string break Causing your peep and your nock point to move . my guess is your nock point is now high . These strands usually break under a serving somewhere . How long has it been since changing strings and cables ?

Wild Wind Rob
03-05-2008, 12:47 PM
It could be a number of things. The best advice I can give you is to take it to a reputable shop that can look it over and get to the bottom of it.

zenrider
03-05-2008, 01:09 PM
You missed the spot for the peep. You set it too low. And/or you may have broken a strand in the string causing weaker arrow flight.

You almost had it. DO NOT start messing with all the front sight pins when you KNOW the peep slipped. Get the peep correct first. It sounds like the peep as you indicated that ALL your pins now needed adjusted. There is your clue right there. The common denominator is the peep. Now that you messed with everything, your plan to take it to the shop is right on. Git R done and you will be back to normal in no time.

Good luck at your shoot.

After you get it going again do yourself a favor. Get a measuring stick and dedicate that particular measuring device JUST FOR YOUR BOW. Don't use it for other purposes and don't use different measuring devices each time you set up your bow. Now that you decided what you are going to use, make VERY CAREFUL measurements of every detail.

Axel to Axel length on both sides.
Brace Height
Get a nocking square and draw a little picture of exactly how The nocks look when tuned
Angle of your arrow rest
Width of the arrow rest fingers
Height of the arrow rest measured from some constant point
Length of your string
Number of twists in your string and cables
Weight of pull
Number of turns "off bottom" for your limb adjustments
Cam timing marks
Measure the distance from the nock to the peep sight
Measure from the upper axel to the peep
Measure from the lower axel to the peep
Make sure the arrow rest is alinged to push the arrow straight, measure from the riser to each tip and to the center
Measure the front sight guard that encloses all the pins, how far above the shelf
Measure each of the sight pins spacing to some common reference point on the arrow shelf (you might need the square here)

Make a little sketch and write them all down like a blueprint. Next time there is a slip, you can get things back to normal super fast. I carry a backup of my little sketch in the field and my tape measure. I have had VERY good results reseting my bow to proper operation.

If you refine the tuning of your bow after you develop more skill, update your sketch immediately. We are always perfecting our technique, our muscles grow and respond differently, the end result is, our bow matches our body matches our arrows. These tiny refinements must be recorded as we may loose a bad habit or pick one up. We must know if our bow changed or we changed. Record it, compare it, don't tinker until you can prove something needs tinkering.

Again, good luck at your shooting event. Go for the gold.

woodlandtrophies
03-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Well hubby dropped it off yesterday. I have to give a call down to Pine Grove today & find out how it goes.
Apparently it was the Cam, knocked out of time or something from string stretch. (Heh & they say Winners Choice strings don't stretch? hah!)
Hopefully I can get it back today in time to go fling some arrows.
Thanks for the tips. I will be taking your suggestion zen & making a doodle! Great idea!!

William Wallace
03-06-2008, 06:04 PM
I simply love single cam bows.

woodlandtrophies
03-06-2008, 09:57 PM
I simply love single cam bows.

Even the single cams can go outta tune or timing.. which is what mine did. Picked it back up tonight, fit as a fiddle. Thank you Les!

ICDUCKS
03-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Ok so now you have no excuses when I "spank your hiney" at 3-D! :twisted: :lol:

woodlandtrophies
03-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Well gotta get my sights & stuff back into order before I can do any "spanking" Cause you are GOING DOWN mister!!! :twisted: I'll be down there tomorrow!

treerat
03-07-2008, 09:39 PM
go get him pink fletchings