View Full Version : Saturday at Kinzua

10-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Instead of reptyping the whole thing, I hope you all don't mind I pasted this from my post on HPa. I had a great day running the mountains of Kinzua with longbow in hand.

I spent Saturday climbing the hills at Kinzua with Rooster Booster and JasonN. Started my morning off by putting the sneak on a 6pt and 10 pt I spied eating acorns about 80 yds above me. After about an hour of covering that distance, I was within 15 yds of the big boy. He was about 16 in wide with good mass and chocolate brown antlers. His G2's were at least 14" tall. Problem was he was on the other side of a blowdown and I didn't have a shot. I couldn't see the small buck so I stood my ground and waited for a chance. After about five minutes, six or seven does came running out of no where and the big boy trotted off with them. At that time, I had about a 12 yd quartering too shot but opted not to take it. Over the hill he went with the gals. Turns out Jason had been working his way over the opposing side of the hill and had bumped the does into me. I continued on with my still hunting and saw two more bucks running at about 100 yds. I grunted and got them to stop. One was pretty impressive in width and mass but too far for me to get a point count. Kicker had put these two up in his quest to fill the doe tag with his smoke pole. They continued on there run after a short time.

After lunch I returned to the location where I put the sneak on the buck. I spent several hours in the blowdown he used as a blocker and tried some calling with "the can". I started getting chilly from sitting and decided tocontinue still hunting. I started to move toward a bench to , which was only about 15 yds from my stand, and I looked to my right and saw a doe looking back at about 20 yds. Had I stayed put for 10 more minutes I would have had her walk right to me.

After cussing my impatience, I started still hunting along the bench and didn't go to far before I saw three does down the hill from me at about 100 yds. I figured out a game plan and started the sneak. They had been facing away from me and seemed to be feeding into the wind. I lost sight of them for a couple of minutes and to my surprise, saw them feeding toward me at about 40 yds. I knelt where I was, which unfortunately, was in the wide open with not even a stick to hide me. The three were on a path that would take them just 10-12 yds above me and I started thinking I had a chance. At about 20 yds, the doe continued on her course but her two young'uns started walking right toward me. It was kind of hard to keep one eye on the two and the other on where I wanted to hit the doe. At 12 yds her head went behind a tree. The other two seemed to be screened by a large stump. I began to draw and got busted by one of the fawns. The doe stopped broadside , totally unaware of my presence. We're talking picture perfect, except for that 6" round tree that blocked her vitals. It didn't take long for her to see me, kneeling and trying to hold a 57# longbow at full draw. She spun and ran along with the fawn who spotted me. The second fawn, a BB, stood there broadside at about 8 yds, trying to figure out what I was. I drew on him, and declined shooting a BB. He still stood there, broadside. I drew on him again and again declined to shoot. He finally had enough of my shenanigans and followed momma and sibling over the hill. I continued on my hunt and decided to take a break on a rock. A black squirell made its way to me and I nocked up a judo and kicked leaves and dirt into his face, and sent him running for the next county. As I was watching him, I had thought I heard a faint grunt so I listened intently for about 5 minutes. I convinced myself I had been hearing things and stood up to retrieve my arrow. I heard a deer snort and turned around to see an enormous buck, at least 20" inside spread and good mass, hotfoot it for parts unknown. I'm still calling this a successful hunt. I got to be in shooting range of a large buck that I actually snuck up on and a large doe. I scared the bejesus out of about 8 black squirrels with near misses with the judo, and I saw five different bucks. Jason saw 8 deer. The first seven were bucks, all but one a legal deer. Like Kicker, he had opted for the smokepole instead of the bow. Kicker went home empty handed as well. He did have a shot at a doe but after closer inspection, saw that it was a fawn and passed. The colors on the hill were beautiful, and the acorns and beech were abundant. This was my second hunt around Kinzua and it rivaled my first for action and scenery. I think I need to move into a cave up there from September to November.

Grizzly Gary
10-23-2006, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the awsome report. A day of activity like that is still a great day in the woods even if you don't harvest any game. Kinzua Country is absolutely gorgeous at this time of year.

Grizzly Gary

10-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Souns like a good day . With all this talk about missing Squirrels .Might just get me out With my recurve practicing . Shot one once with the compound but still dont have a kill with the re curve . Still Dont see any pics . I would think Some one with a nice camera would have taken pics :lol: Good luck the rest of the season .

10-24-2006, 10:59 AM
The only pics I took were actually of a very interesting tree I happened upon. Since this is a family site, I can't post them here. Lets just say when I saw it, I laughed so hard I'm surprised John and Jason didn't hear me. I definetly got a case of "tree envy" at the site of this thing! Talk about wood! When I get them downloaded, I'll email you a pick. One of the funniest things I've ever seen!

Mighty Mike
10-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Sure would like to see that picture. I say you post it.


10-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Once my wife gets the software straightened out for the camera, I'll email pics to people who want to see them. I really can't post them here. The protrusion from the trunk was about 3 ft long and let me assure you, was anatomically correct. Maybe I'm just a little twisted but it was hilarious!