PDA

View Full Version : Changing everything

ICDUCKS
03-11-2008, 11:18 AM
At the end of the month Im changing everything.Im going through Bernie Pellerites program.Its a completely different form.Its definitly going to be a challenge at first but I know its going to improve my shooting!

Has anyone else tried to change the way they shoot?How did it work?

zenrider
03-11-2008, 01:12 PM
You talking archery here? Or is this method for all types of shooting?

I will look up this program you mentioned. But, I would suggest reading, Zen and the Art of Archery. While not necessarily and method, there are some tips in there that will definitely improve anyones ability.

For gun shooting, I follow the Marine and Army training manuals. Those guys are pretty good, they must do something right.

Thanks for the heads up on new information and good luck on your learning curve.

treerat
03-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Are you just getting the book or going to a course some where ?

ICDUCKS
03-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Kinda both, good friend teaches it and has the books. He is putting me and his nephew through it.

zenrider
03-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Sounds like a good time. And a good time of year to learn it. You should be all refined come September. Let us know what you think of the program. This sounds like something to get familiar with BEFORE teaching 12guagetage. No use unlearning bad habits like we have to do.

ICDUCKS
03-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Your exactly right Zen.That is a big problem with alot of things in life.You learn the wrong way and then try to change and it makes it more difficult.

woodlandtrophies
03-11-2008, 10:24 PM
I am always interested in improving my form (har har) Get me some more details on this!

ICDUCKS
03-31-2008, 10:10 PM
This is going to be tougher than I thought.My bow is cranked back to 46 Lbs and im having a very hard time drawing.

treestandtimmy
03-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Maybe Grizzly will let you borrow his...I think he uses about 33 lbs or so... :lol: :lol:

03-31-2008, 11:52 PM
ICDUCKS, you ain't drawin yer bow with yer feet are ya? :shock: Ha! :lol: I started shooting again and i had to turn mine down to 56 pounds so i could keep good form till my muscles get back in shape.Bad habits come easy in bow shooting. 8)

woodlandtrophies
04-01-2008, 08:49 AM
This is going to be tougher than I thought.My bow is cranked back to 46 Lbs and im having a very hard time drawing.

Pffft Mine's at 48 quit whining! have Tage show you how its done!

You never gave us details on this program! Dish it buddy!!

treerat
04-01-2008, 11:27 AM
You need to work in the winter time to build /maintain muscle seasonal worker . :twisted: . 46# I could shoot that with my left hand . my bow wont even go that low . Maybe its time for a new bow .I suggest you get a genesis that way Tage can shoot it also . :idea: Actually for learning a new method of shooting that might be a real good choice in bows .

ICDUCKS
04-01-2008, 12:14 PM
You need to work in the winter time to build /maintain muscle seasonal worker . :twisted: . 46# I could shoot that with my left hand . my bow wont even go that low . Maybe its time for a new bow .I suggest you get a genesis that way Tage can shoot it also . :idea: Actually for learning a new method of shooting that might be a real good choice in bows .
Thats just it I can draw a 80# bow and shoot it with no problem,but I cant draw it properly. (low shoulder,wrist and elbow locked and chest 90* from bow arm)
I dont know many that can.
See if you had a Bowtech your bow could do alot of things nobody elses could.

treerat
04-01-2008, 12:32 PM
And if you owned a Mathews product it would draw alot smoother :lol: trying to picture this 90* from chest thing . wouldnt that drastically shorten the draw length ? I read some where to see if you are drawing to much weight , Sit in a chair lift your feet off the floor and draw . no cheating draw straight back no pointing to the sky . I can do this with my bow . mine set somewhere near 65# .

ICDUCKS
04-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Yes it does shorten draw length.
There is not a mathews Built that is any smoother than a Guardian,commander or general. Id be more than happy to bet money or bows with anyone who can prove that different.

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
04-01-2008, 04:07 PM
It doesn't matter how you shoot as long as you can shoot accurately. I don't care if I have a completely unorthodox method that looks way outta whack, if it works for me then why change it just to suit someone else??? Maybe they're the ones that shoot wrong. :wink:

ICDUCKS
04-01-2008, 11:30 PM
The only reason im changin is it seems ive hit a plateau and dont seem to be advancing.Everyone I know that has takin ahold of this method has advanced very well. These people were tournament and state champions before they took this route.Now they are even better and more consistent.

Grizzly Gary
04-02-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm with JJ on this one. Why fix it if it ain't broke? I am happy with my 25# draw bow. :lol: (Kiss my ### TST!)

As I get older I like change less. Know what I mean?

ICDUCKS
04-02-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm with JJ on this one. Why fix it if it ain't broke? I am happy with my 25# draw bow. :lol: (Kiss my ### TST!)

Well if you figured out a way to be a better Walleye fisherman would you?
You can catch walleyes now but if you changed your style of fishing you would catch more and bigger fish would you?
I think thats a no brainer.Which makes it easier for you Jeremiah and Grizz! :lol: :lol:

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
04-02-2008, 05:16 PM

Well if you figured out a way to be a better Walleye fisherman would you?
You can catch walleyes now but if you changed your style of fishing you would catch more and bigger fish would you?
I think thats a no brainer.Which makes it easier for you Jeremiah and Grizz! :lol: :lol:
Lets see if I have this correct, if Gary changes the way he tries to fish he can catch bigger fish, so if Ducks changes the way he shoots he will be able to hit bigger targets??? :lol: You go for those bigger targets ICD, I have faith in you. :lol:

04-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Ha! :lol: You guys kill me!!!! Hey, if it makes Duks feel better about himself and gives his confidance a boost,go for it kid! 8) .Right now my Martin Jag is turned down to 56#.When its easy to draw and hold, you don't make stupid mistakes.When you struggle to maintain,you rush your shot and ugly stuff happens :roll: .Believe me i know.I have made many KILLING" shots on the ribcage of my barn and still didn't get good penetration! :shock:After i get shooting alittle,i start shooting at 40 or 50 yards just because for me,when i move in to 20 or 30 yards where i typically shoot ,it seems easier in my mind.The farther away you shoot,the less you can get away with as far as form and steadiness.Maybe at 20 yards a small mistake may make your arrow fly 4 inches off course.Make that same mistake at 50 and you'll be 4 FEET off! So, for me,its just a mind game thing but forces me to do all the right things. By the time i'm in Colorado in Sept and a nice bull steps out,my bow will be at 70 pounds more than likely and my G5 Montec tipped Easton Axis arrow will sail right thru it,right where i was aimimg!!! :laughing6: :lol: :lol: 8)

treerat
04-04-2008, 08:26 AM
good luck on that elk mad dog . Ducks how is the training coming ? Iam still interested in these new techniques . . Having just got my new bow Iam concentrating more on my form . going from a 38"ata to a31"ata bow . . It seems the shorter bows are less forgiving to form flaws . Iam starting to shoot it better I think .

ICDUCKS
04-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Its a slow process and very uncomfortable at first. Trying to do something different after 25 years of doing it one way is difficult. Bernie Pellerite has a shooting school(I believe its in Fl)and goes around the country teaching . Its not a new technique. Its been around for years. If youve ever been shooting somewhere and seen a guy facing directly at his target with his shoulder,elbow and wrist locked straight out in front of him and thought or said "how in the world could someone shoot like that?" its probably someone who has taken Bernies course.
If you google his name you will have all kinds of stuff to look at.

steele
04-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I think since ducks has a young son he should learn how to shot properly and teach his son on how to shot properly. I know from experience in hunting and fishing when you are taught the wrong way it cost you that big prize sooner or later.

ICDUCKS
04-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Things are starting to come together.Doing alot of blind bale shooting right now. Seems to be getting easier everyday. Just working on form and execution.

Grizzly Gary
04-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Not trying to shake DUCKS confidence but once again I am with JJ. Are you saying I will shoot 2x bigger deer if I change my shooting style? I did not know the deer watched from a distance at the 3D shoots to see who had the better form. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
04-14-2008, 06:20 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

ICDUCKS
04-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Nope thats not what Im saying.
Im saying I could kick both your azzes on a 3-D course before and now Ill just outright embarrass ya!!!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

ICDUCKS
04-18-2008, 07:28 AM
About 2 more weeks of blind baling and working on timing and its time to put the sight back on and start close range execution.

steele
04-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Good luck ducks and let us all know how it turns out.

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
04-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Im saying I could kick both your azzes on a 3-D course before and now Ill just outright embarrass ya!!!! :lol: :lol: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: You keep slaying those fake animals ICD, i'll stick to killing the real ones!!!! :wink:

ICDUCKS
04-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Im saying I could kick both your azzes on a 3-D course before and now Ill just outright embarrass ya!!!! :lol: :lol: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: You keep slaying those fake animals ICD, i'll stick to killing the real ones!!!! :wink:

Oh I do plenty of that..

Thats much easier than shooting good scores on foam. :wink:

I can manipulate my setup so that my prey is at a complete distance and angle disadvantage for a clean easy kill.

Cant do that with 3-D foam when shooting from the stakes.

This season I was so close to them critters (hunting on the ground) I almost felt sorry for them when I stuck my fork in them! :lol: :wink:

woodlandtrophies
04-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Yeah but can ya do this at 32 yards?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v731/mystmun/Real%20Life/000_0002-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v731/mystmun/Real%20Life/000_0003-2.jpg

Still waiting for you to kick my butt Ducks! Muwhahahaha! I'll be at Randolph this Sunday. Bawk Bawk!

ICDUCKS
05-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Actually no I cant do that at 32 yards.....

I have a hard time letting any of my arrows get out of the bullseye at 32 yards. :wink:

As far as the "robin hood",nice job!

ICDUCKS
05-04-2008, 08:52 AM
But really right now I cant do much at all!!!!!

I hurt my shoulder and Im hoping its temporary! I think i might have tore something. My shoulder feels like 2 rocks rubbing and grinding together.

BEAR
05-04-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm with JJ also. but if Ducks gets a new technique that works for him GREAT.

Generally there is no one right way to do something. But some styles make is easier to do well than others.

ICDUCKS
05-04-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm with JJ also. but if Ducks gets a new technique that works for him GREAT.

Generally there is no one right way to do something. But some styles make is easier to do well than others.

Your absolutly right Bear. Archery is all about perfect duplication of form. If you do the same exact thing perfectly everytime your an awesome shooter. You could have the worst "form" in the world but if you do it the same every time it wont matter. Consistency is the key.

woodlandtrophies
05-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Your absolutly right Bear. Archery is all about perfect duplication of form. If you do the same exact thing perfectly everytime your an awesome shooter. You could have the worst "form" in the world but if you do it the same every time it wont matter. Consistency is the key.

Exactly! If you change your grip, your shot changes. Sometimes the simplest changes can mess up even the best shooters. Even something like putting on a pair of gloves.
I hope this method works for ya Ducks :) Who knows maybe someday I'll give it a shot. But for now, what I am doing is working just fine ^^

As for the 2 outta the bullseye in my picture, I was adjusting my sight cause it was off, when I got the robin hood.. well guess its on now! ^^

Hope your shoulder gets better, no fun to out shoot ya if ya broken up!! ^^

treerat
01-24-2009, 11:12 AM
any up dates on this ducks? Did you stick with this style of shooting or go back to the way you were shooting ?

Mighty Mike
01-26-2009, 11:40 AM
i heard he hasnt even changed his underwear in all this time. lol

mike

phlstr119
01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Ducks Hows it going? Hows the shoulder?

ICDUCKS
02-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Things were going well but havent touched my bow in 2 months. Got to go home and get it or maybe buy a new one out here.

treerat
02-09-2009, 09:12 PM
maybe buy a new one out here.

Better watch what you tell us on here . You know Kris gets on here too :evil:

hunterdeneugene
02-10-2009, 06:45 AM
yeah, like the time with you and those midget strippers.....

Tucker Time
02-10-2009, 07:31 PM
LMAO All the love spread around here cracks me up. :lol:

ICDUCKS
02-10-2009, 07:44 PM
They were'nt strippers they were exotic dancers!!!! :lol:

hunterdeneugene
02-10-2009, 07:50 PM
whatever makes you sleep better at night.....

Outdoorsman
02-10-2009, 09:42 PM
yeah, like the time with you and those midget strippers.....

LOL, I guess hes into shrink to fit. :lol: A guys gotta do, what guys gotta do.

phlstr119
02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Ducks you gonna take that....LOL :lol:

mikeymjr23
02-11-2009, 10:51 AM
HAHA! Ducks...don't you feel the love?! You've been gone for months, and now you get on here, where you think your frlends are, and BAM! You get hit with the midgit stripper card!

haha...

As to buyin a new bow out there...can I have the one in NY?! haha! JK

Tucker Time
02-11-2009, 11:02 AM
You got to love DUCKS! :D He is one of a kind! :shock: :D

steele
02-16-2009, 11:27 PM
ducks I am going on a archery elk hunt in september. I need to know how good your doing? :D

hunterdeneugene
02-28-2009, 05:01 PM
he isn't doing anything but working....bet he hasn't seen his bow in 3 months.

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
02-28-2009, 10:48 PM
I saw it the other day when I was at his house..... Oops that was supposed to be a secret. :twisted:
He must be working alot because he hasn't been here in awhile.