PDA

View Full Version : Anyone eat pike?

craven
10-24-2006, 07:26 PM
I like to eat pike. My buddy showed me how to fillet the "Y" bones out I have it down to a science. The key to them is rinsing the fillets in cold water at least 5 or 6 times until the water in the bowl is clear. Then coat them with Zaterans New Orleans fish breading (Walmart) and drop them in hot oil. Its some of the whitest flakiest meat there is. People say they dont like pike and they try it and cant believe its Pike! Just like any other meat, alot depends on the care of it BEFORE the table. Keep them cold after you catch them!

Bryan Hoffner
10-25-2006, 06:05 AM
There's that dirty word. (walmart)
I love pike. I don't keep them on a regular bases but do enjoy. You're right craven, easy to fillet if you're taught the correct way. No bones, just fillet. They have a slightly different taste than a walleye but still good. I like to keep them between let's say 27 and 34 the best. The legal size they're just to skinny.

What's left after filleting is a great fertlizer for your garden at home. During winter fishing, dig a hole big enough to fit em down about9 inches to a foot and cover back up. (keeps the local cats and critters out) when you til the garden in the spring you don't even know you did it until your crops grow better than normal

Grizzly Gary
10-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Never had Pike fillets. Shane that used to work at Pages always told me they were very tasty. Tried to show me the way around those y bones. Might have to try that this year as I usually get a couple thru the ice on the Zoo.

Grizzly Gary

singleshot
10-28-2006, 03:52 PM
I fillet my pike, add seasoning to the fillets and run them through my meat grinder. Make them into patties and freeze or cook them right up. The kids love it

FisherMOM
10-28-2006, 07:35 PM
here is a video of how to fillet a pike... it's a LARGE FILE!!!

I am on a cable modem and it took a while....

Check this out guys/gals and let me know what you think.

http://www.lakewoodlodge.com/how_to_fillet_a_northern.wmv

Mighty Mike
10-30-2006, 11:50 AM
This guy will pass on them slimmy critters. One bit my hand real good last year.

mike

carl milks
10-30-2006, 03:09 PM
I too will pass on them. Anything that smells that bad CAN'T taste good! I just can't bring myself to eat those slimey,stinky things-especially when ya gotta wash your hands off with gasoline to get that slime off after handling one!!! I've got a buddy who loves them and takes every one I can give him. I tried it a couple times-just not for me.

Jim_R
11-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Kept some from ice fishing last year. Poached half of the fillets with a little spices. Served with lemon juice and some fresh ground pepper. Talk about good eating!

Tried pickling the other half of the fillets. Not sure what I did wrong, but it turned out dry as can be. Think it might have happened in the canning process. Couldn't find anything listing the right processing time, so I found a similar recipe and tried adapting the time from there. Gonna have to keep experimenting with that one.

Grizzly Gary
11-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Canned pike just don't sound right to begin with! :lol:

Grizzly Gary

Ed Yohe
11-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Hey all, here is a web site with a real easy way to filet pike. I got it from the lodge owner where we fished in Canada on a trip there. Works very good.
http://www.ontariofishing.net/filletingapike/
Ed Yohe

Ed Yohe
11-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Carl,
if you prepare them right they are just as good as eyes. Here is what I do with pike, and I mainly fish them through the ice. Before I put them on a stringer, I bleed them out. Take a knife and cut all the way around behind their gills right around the back one and put them on a stringer in the hole, It doesn't kill them and they bleed out good. When you filet them take the red line of meat out. I then soak them in salt water for a couple hours prior to freezing. If you can get any time off from the new " chief" job, we will have to get some time on the ice, I will show you how I do it, they turn out really good.

Ed Yohe

carl milks
11-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanx Ed- I'll be glad to take ya up on that offer!

Linda O
12-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Hey Jim R.
I have pickled Pike and have great success with cold packing. Soak the cubed pike in pickling salt 12 hrs. rinse, soak in white vinegar 12 hrs and rinse. should be very firm. Bring your pickling brine to a boiling temp then I just pour into the jars with the raw cubed pike and a thin onion and a garlic slice, seal em up and wait for the lids to dimple. They are ready to eat in about 3-4 weeks, or sooner if you can't wait, and keep for a long time over a year. The fillets are firm this way not mushy. Good luck. I have used both white and apple cider vinegar. The apple makes for a less firm piece but still good. I prefer a sweet brine. Good luck, and keep trying.

Pike is great anyway you prepare it. I have found the easiest way to remove the Y's is to fillet the fish upside down. Be quiet Ed! I slice it on the top like any fish, then cut from the cloaca to the jaw, (use scissors through the pects) and slice the tail section like normal. lay the fish on its back, and the fillet will flop over and you can follow the bones with the tip of a sharp knife and the weight of the fillet. You have to remember the Y's go back into the meat and with this method it is easy for me to follow their path. Unorthodoxed yes, but don't laugh until you try it, there is no waste and you get two large fillets instead of the goofy tubes. This is nice for different cooking presentations and methods.
Linda O

Ed Yohe
12-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Linda,

That is truly amazing!!!!!! I never seen anyone filet a pike while they are upside down, but if anyone can I am sure it is you. How long can you stand on your head at one time, cause sometimes we have a whole stringer of them? Just be careful you don't get all the blood rushing to your head, you may pass out and cut yourself with the Knife. We have to get on the ice as soon as possible, this I gotta see!!! Carl said he wants to go, this blows his backwards driving away!!!! lmao

Ed Yohe

carl milks
12-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Gee, thanx Linda & Ed- you gave me a great idea to try! Instead of fishing backwards, I'm gonna start fishing "upside down"!!!!

Ed Yohe
12-06-2006, 07:25 AM
Carl,
This is a side of Linda we have never seen. I never knew she could be upside down and filet a pike. Of course it does answer a lot of the questions we had about her. I wonder if she was the inspiration for pineapple upside down cake????? We could have a celebrity in our midst. Who could have known????
Ed Yohe

Linda O
12-06-2006, 10:38 AM
I knew I could count on you two pinn-heads to screw this up! hey Griss you need to figure a way I can draw pictures for Eddy and write backwards for Carl so they can understand what the rest of the world is all about! Like my Dad always said, you can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop! Maybe now you guys on that side of the lake understand my pain and agony of what I am faced with on this side of the lake. At least there is always Drunkboy and Sue. Ed quit eating the Bait!!
Linda O

Grizzly Gary
12-06-2006, 10:47 AM
I must admit Linda O that I also would love to see you fillet those Pike upside down! Not sure why you are ashamed of such a unique talent. Can you do anything else upside down? :roll: :lol: :wink: :twisted:

You Willow Creekers are certainly a diverse and talented bunch!

Grizzly Gary

Linda O
12-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Hey Griss to find that out you may need to go to a different web site and a credit card number or something like that!! Tee-Hee
Linda O

Mighty Mike
12-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Grizz i will pitch a couple bucks in to see Linda O filleting a pike upside down in the nude. Let the show begin. he he he!

mike

Linda O
12-06-2006, 01:19 PM
OK OK,
Let's settle this with a time and a date at the Corydon! Mighty Mike you and Gizz must be sippin some of the Great Grey Bird already today! If the price is right I'll show you my 'TECHNIQUE' or 'TALENT' which ever word you prefer! The 'bottom' line is I think we are all a little warped today!
Linda O

carl milks
12-06-2006, 05:21 PM
I'll drink to that- "BOTTOM'S UP"!!!!!!!!!

Grizzly Gary
12-06-2006, 06:42 PM
IF Linda O is upside down and naked, where do we put our dollars?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know we all love ya baby! Carls line is perfect though,"Bottoms Up!"

LMAO!! :laughing3:

Grizzly Gary

Jason Giordano
12-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Been there, seen it and it did'nt cost me a nickel!