PDA

View Full Version : lake temp

John Lorenzo
10-27-2006, 07:52 AM
hey guys what is the lake temp from Willow and above? I know last weekend it was around 48 up in the reservation and around 55 at willow. I'm sure it's dropped big time this week. Questions for you walleye guys. What is the best temp for the fall walleye bite? And at what temp does it(the bite) really taper off? At what temp is live bait a must? Just curious, I know what it is for bass, but I suspect it's different for the eyes.

Bryan Hoffner
10-27-2006, 10:43 AM
I'll be going up sunday morning and will then tell you the temp.
I have found that low 50's gets them stirring. By the mid 40's they're sucking down whatever get's in their way. Follow them all the way to the upper 30's then the lake generally starts to freeze.
Live bait question - I can't answer that one. That's all I use from here on out on the zoo in the fall.

Tone
10-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Hey John. I'd have to agree with Brian. Mid to upper 40's and they're on fire. I'm guessing it's gettin close too. I think I'm headin down Tues. next week. Calling for 60 degrees. I don't really think live bait is a must John. They bust silver buddies and sonars right up to and including through the ice. Still can't beat the old jig...preferrably with hair... for me and a big minnow combination at this time.

Bryan Hoffner
10-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Sorry, no update for you John. I turned into a baby yesterday. Pulled a muscle in my lower back hunting (I mean falling down) saturday. Then I used the ugly weather as an excuse to enjoy adult beverages on the couch all day.

Tone
11-01-2006, 01:14 AM
Took a trip to the zoo today. 2 keeper walleye at peirce and a limit of smallies. Water temp at High banks was 43 and pretty close to that to Peirce. Then the closer to Willow I got it warmed to 50 and 52 inside Willow Bay. Couldn't find a minnow to save my life. None around the Kane area and nothing at Slaven's. Used a big hair jig and put 2 nightcrawlers on it to bulk it up and the walleye hit it. Small mouth hit everything I threw at'um. Spinnner bait, hard jerk baits, and plastic twitch baits....they're on fire right now! Water still dirty up north. Debris cleared off but never caught a walleye till down in the (somewhat) cleaner water. Walleyes were caught near channel edges in 22-24 ft. of water......tight lines

John Lorenzo
11-01-2006, 07:06 AM
thanks Tone, did you catch the bass in the warmer water or up with the walleyes?

Tone
11-02-2006, 02:36 AM
Hey John....all the smallies were caught on the main lake below all the dirty water and some better ones in Willow Bay....and all released I might add :o) .....tight lines