PDA

View Full Version : CONGRATULATIONS MIKE WENZEL

Grizzly Gary
03-26-2008, 10:09 AM
This man is from Warren and he won the IBO World Shoot in Ohio. He is sponsored by Wild Wind Sporters and both should be very proud of this accomplishment.

CONGRATULATIONS MIKE! GREAT JOB!!

Can anybody help this puter dummy by posting the article about this in todays Warren Times Observer? Thanks! :oops: :lol:

Mighty Mike
03-27-2008, 01:30 PM
congrats. good job.

mike

coalbedbuck
03-27-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't know the guy, but congratulations!!!!!
Thats quite an accomplishment

treerat
03-28-2008, 07:01 AM
congrats to mike . Do you know What class mike shoots in and what his score was?

harry,d
03-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Bullseye — Warren shooter Mike Wenzel wins IBO Indoor World Championship

By ALLEN SEYBERT aseybert@timesobserver.com

Times Observer photo by Allen Seybert

Warren's Mike Wenzel lines up a target with his BowTech bow during a practice shoot recently at Wild Wind Sporters in Starbrick. Wenzel recently finished first at the International Bowhunters Organization' 2008 Indoor World Championship competition in Cleveland, Ohio.

3/27/2008 - Mike Wenzel — world champion.

The 36 year-old Warren resident bested over 120 competitors to win the Male Bowhunter Open Class of the International Bowhunter Organization’s (IBO) 2008 Indoor World Championship at the IX Center in Cleveland, Ohio, March 14 to 16.

The honor has been a long time coming for Wenzel, who has been shooting for the past decade. During that time, Wenzel has made five trips to the Indoor World stage, placing a personal best of 15th prior to this year’s victory.

His interest in bow shooting started in the late 1990’s from a

source that spawns many people’s interest — friends.

“I started shooting around 10 years ago with a group of four,” said Wenzel. “We travel all over the east coast shooting at a variety of different IBO events.”

Those buddies — Youngsville’s Jim Huff and Warren’s Dana Holden and Kenny Lauffenburger — also competed at the IBO Indoor World competition. Huff was 16th in the same Male Bowhunter Open Class that Wenzel participated in.

Unlike many bow shooters who spend much time hunting and perfecting their craft, Wenzel dove headfirst into IBO competition.

After his first few trips to the World level left him wanting more, Wenzel said he re-dedicated himself to shooting over the past year. That included an increase in practice and purchase of new “state of the art” equipment.

“I’d say the better and faster bow helped a lot,” he said. “I also

worked a lot harder with my technique.”

Wenzel shoots almost daily at Starbrick’s Wild Wind Sporters, his sponsor and provider of equipment. Wenzel used a BowTech 101st Airborne bow, a top of the line product.

While the win was earned in a top-notch IBO event, Wenzel pocketed just $150 for the victory. However, the shooter gets a much bigger chunk of change from the company whose equipment he uses.

BowTech will soon send Wenzel a check for $800 for achieving victory using their equipment.

Wenzel also credited his success to the same group of guys that got him started.

“I got a lot of good instruction from my friends,” said Wenzel. “I

shoot with some of the best shooters in the state.”

The competition won by Wenzel had a format much like many of the IBO events. It has 40 3-D targets with four rings on each.

The small center, the bullseye, is worth 11 points, with rings counting for 10, 8 and 5 points as you go out from the center. The further from the bullseye the shooter hits, the bigger the area, but fewer the points.

Wenzel finished the competition with 410 points, an average of 10.025 per shot. He also hit the bullseye in 18 of 40 shots. Every 11-point target hit was big for Wenzel as he finished just three points ahead of second place Todd Sheetz of Annville, Pa.

The success of being a world champion hasn’t stopped Wenzel from

striving for more. He’ll soon be on the road looking for additional victories.

As soon as this weekend, in fact.

“Winning the Indoor World event was nice, but I will back on the road soon,” he said. “I’ve got the IBO Southern Triple Crown in Georgia on March 28 to 30 before the IBO World Championships in Ellicottville, N.Y., in August.”

The Ellicottville competition is the one Wenzel has circled in red on his calender.

“Most people involved in bow shooting say outdoor shooting is more difficult,” said Wenzel. “It would be even bigger to win that because there will be more shooters and a higher-caliber of shooter competing.”

BEAR
03-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Amazing only $150 to 1st place. Sounds like you just get your entrance fee back. Hardly pay for gass (3 tanks) to Cleveland and back to Warren.

Well, Mike congratulations...sounds like you worked hard and suceeded. good luck guy.

ICDUCKS
03-29-2008, 08:10 PM
I personally was just wondering why everyone else was named in the Warren paper and not Jimmy Ingerson. Jimmy shot his bow very well coming in at 4th place and never got mentioned!!! There are people who came in 16th who were acknowledged and for what that is a long ways away from 4th!!!! Everyone shoots together at Wild Winds Sporters and they all shoot Bowtechs. Is Jimmy not in the right "clique" thats all I'm getting at. He is in my opinion one of the nicest people you could ever want to be friends with and is one of the best shooters in our area by far!!!!
So what about Woodlandtrophies? I believe she got 3rd or 4th place.Didnt see her name mentioned anywhere! I think they represented us well also and deserves credit.There are probably more from our area that represented us well
Just wondering????

woodlandtrophies
03-30-2008, 02:25 AM
I finished 5th. I think one of the big things that make a lot of us "smaller" competitors not get mentioned is the lack of sponsors. Usually the articles you see in the papers were sent in by themselves or their sponsors. :/ I don't have any, well except Woodland Trophies Taxidermy & she doesn't pay me very well! The hussy! :lol:
5th in my class scored me nada zip zilch in the money department. OFC was only 13 people in my class :/ Maybe that is why. In the larger groups they pay out the top ten I believe.
Oh well, I had fun & I was honored & proud of what I achieved! To me that is all that matters! Wish I could have made it down to His Ways today to fling a few more arrows. Probably be down there tomorrow. Need lots more practice before Worlds!

ICDUCKS
03-30-2008, 08:05 AM
It really doesnt matter where you scored.You represented our area well! You shot in a tournament that people from all over the USA were there to shoot and you did well!!! All of the people who scored well from our area should have been acknowledged.
Im sure Bill Pantrasky was there and finished in the top 5 for senoirs. If he didnt,he had a bad day but Id be willing to put $$ on it.

Tucker Time
03-31-2008, 06:21 AM
Way to go!