PDA

View Full Version : End of steelheading in OHio and possibly Great Lakes???????

Fishingpole
10-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,
We here in Ohio need your help. The USDA has enacted the following legislation that goes into effect immediatly and could endanger our steelhead fisherie ( I know it's stocked). Would you please help. Read the article and please consider signing the petition below.

Thursday, October 26, 2006
D'Arcy Egan
Plain Dealer Columnist
An emergency federal ruling this week could drive up live bait prices and jeopardize Ohio's extremely popular steelhead trout program.

The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture on Monday banned interstate shipments of many live fish from Great Lakes states and the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec. Fisheries managers around the Great Lakes are unhappy with the ruling.

The rare emergency edict was implemented, said an APHIS official, to stop Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS), a saltwater virus that found its way into the Great Lakes.

Over the last two years, VHS has been blamed for the deaths of sheepshead in Lake Erie, round gobies in Lake Ontario and muskies in the Detroit River and Lake St. Clair.

The emergency order by APHIS has far-reaching implications.

It prevents Ohio from trading channel catfish with Michigan for steelhead trout, the prime ingredient for Ohio's famous cold-water fishery.

Local bait dealers say it would drive up the price of baitfish, injuring a billion-dollar sport fishing industry, and could put small Ohio tackle shops out of business.

Cleveland-area bait shops get the majority of their emerald shiner minnows from Buffalo, N.Y.

The fathead minnows sold at shops on inland reservoirs are predominantly shipped here from Minnesota and Wisconsin, according to wholesaler Gene Cizmadia of Crawlers Unlimited in Hinckley. Those shipments are now banned under APHIS guidelines.

"This has been simmering for a long time," said Ray Petering, the head of fisheries management for the Ohio Division of Wildlife. "The Great Lakes states have been crying for 15 years about the ballast water of ocean freighters introducing invasive species to the Great Lakes. As of today, APHIS has done nothing.

"Then VHS shows up for a couple of months, and wham, we get a federal order and can't move live fish within the Great Lakes states."

Great Lakes fisheries managers had asked APHIS to remain on the sidelines as the Great Lakes Fisheries Health Committee studied the VHS problem, said Petering. The ban announced Monday surprised officials and the fishing tackle industry. Ohio officials are scrambling to figure out how to maintain the steelhead trout fishery.

Link to petition http://www.petitiononline.com/ActOnVHS/petition.html

Grizzly Gary
10-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Bait shops here are all abuzz about this. What I can't figure out is why they can't come up with a way to keep the diseases and invasive species out. There must be some way to avoid these overseas ships blowing their ballast in Lake Erie.

Grizzly Gary

Fishingpole
10-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Just like littering, a few ruin it for the masses

Old School Dave
10-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Was reading on the Ohio Sea Grant website:

Species like carp harvested heavily for live food markets and fathead minnow - the most widely used baitfish - aren't on the list, but if VHS is found in them, they will be.

I think D'Arcy mis-stated this in his Cleveland Plain Dealer article.I also read in the Erie Pa. newspaper yesterday on my way home from your beautiful(GODS COUNTRY)area of Warren/Kinzua/Chataqua at Applebees waiting for dinner that it was ONLY the Emerald Shiner baitfish that was on the list and not our most popular baitfish the fat head minnow. D'Arcy has a way with exaggerating things he writes in his columns.
This ban will effect however Ohio from trading channel catfish for steelhead with Michigan and will turn upside down the stocking program of steelhead.

Mighty Mike
11-02-2006, 12:57 PM
The bait guys sure are worried about this. Cant blame them.

Mike

steve marcus
11-02-2006, 02:39 PM
was notified saturday that as of right now shipping shiners,walleye,yellow perch,&the rest of them. states that are included are ILL.,IND.,MICH.,MINN.,NY.,OH.,PA.,&WIS. right now cannot ship over state lines . pa to oh.,ny to pa, ect.,ect. hopefully this will be figured out before ice up. all fish that are banned come from same body of water. as far as i know you can still catch your own and fish with them. just cant take them across state border. better info at www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/agua/ STEVE MARCUS at HOOK,LINE,& SINKER.

Grizzly Gary
11-06-2006, 09:40 PM
This is really irritating me! I understand that World Wide Commerce is important to all BUT! Here we are again being abused by a bunch of foreign invaders that change our life styles!!!

Regular guy bait shops and weekend anglers have to suffer because of these germ spreading, invasive species spewing, don't give a sh** invaders!!!

Somebody in Government PLEASE STRAP ON A SET AND STOP THIS! American ingenuity must have a way to solve this problem!

Grizzly Gary