PDA

View Full Version : EXPANDABLE BROADHEADS

Grizzly Gary
10-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Expandable broadheads are supposed to be the new hot thing in archery. I have not tried them as I have heard to many stories of them not opening properly and the like. Who here uses or has tried them? What is your opinion? What have all here heard about them?

Grizzly Gary

10-28-2006, 08:28 PM
I bleed fixed blade....bad to the bone.

Muzzy or Bust.............................................. ......

flipper
10-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Gary I have killed two deer with expanable broadheads.They work great as long as you don't hit any type of bone.Had a bad experiance with them on the last buck that I shot with them.I now use Wasp sst Boss fixed broadheads.

Outdoorsman
10-28-2006, 11:05 PM
If your shot is true, an exspandable is great. :lol: I guess if your shot is true, it wont matter.

carl milks
10-29-2006, 08:46 AM
Two buddies tried them a couple seasons ago- both had bad tales to tell, so they have since abandoned them. I stayed with my Wasp fixed blades and done good. After their bad deals with them, we experimented on targets-they flew nice and true, but sometimes opened and sometimes not.

darcher
10-29-2006, 10:24 AM
I only recomend one at this time, G5 Tekans, only because they take so little energy to open. Otherwise if you are going to use others , shoot 70 + lbs. and shoot those with a cut on contact tip!! I have shot three deer with them and recovered them all, but still did not like the performance over all!!

10-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Have killed a Doe in years past with 130 three blade muzzy via unknown broken gear...

Ground shot, pinned lung center mass at 25 yards.....

The cheapazz Cobra rest was either broken prior to shot or more likely broke with the shot as I do inspect my gear regulary out of habit.

The shot defected to the right and hit squarely in the hip sockets with a complete pass through via 78 pound draw weight PSE Thunder Flite....lost only the corner of one of the blades.

A major artery was severed and the Doe bled out very quickly and within sight.

I'd hate to have been driving expandables.....

Muzzy or Bust.............................................. ..............

Buckethead
10-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Any time you add the word "mechanical" into the mix, you're increasing your chances for something to go wrong. Cut on contact is the way to go.

treestandtimmy
10-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Muzzy Muzzy Muzzy fixed blade all the way. Fooled around with those mechanicals, still don't trust 'em

Brdnspr
10-31-2006, 10:24 PM
I bleed fixed blade....bad to the bone.

Muzzy or Bust.............................................. ......

Finally something I agree on that you post. Yeah - What he said.

bownut
11-01-2006, 06:33 PM
I just swiched to Grim Reaper's they are awsome. I took a shot at a big doe quatered tward me at a heave angle she went 40 yards can you say back straps

Mighty Mike
11-02-2006, 01:46 PM
i am a Muzzy man to. Them expandables dont work.

Mike

11-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Finally something I agree on that you post.

I can only lead you to the water................................

zenrider
06-15-2007, 02:53 PM
My Darton Lightning is fast. I regularly beat my Mathews SoloCam friends to the target in drag races we have on course. It seems very sensitive to ALL brands of fixed blades. I have spent hours and lots of money trying to find a fixed broadhead that would perform consistently. It can happen and if you like to tinker and tinker that is your choice. You definitely can tune this bow and each arrow to finally meet requirements.

But if you would rather spend your time scouting, use the Rocket Hammerheads. Tune your bow with your field tips until you are good and the arrow flies true. Take your best arrows and screw on the Hammer Heads and go hunting. Oh sure, you can blow up a few more HammerHeads shooting at targets, maybe cut off a few more fletches, bust some nocks, risk nicking other perfect arrows until you prove to yourself that these fly true. Or you can take my word for it. Sight in with field points then screw these on and hunt. I can shoot 40 yards reliably and consistently.

I have never had a failure to open. I have punched straight through both front shoulder bones. I have broken spines in half. I have sliced livers into jelly masses. I shot a doe directly between the eyes and through it's skull. I nicked a leg and a single blade ripped the artery wide open. I have cut off sapplings. The wound channels are gross enough to offend even the most seasoned veterans. Nothing has lived that was even touched by one of these since I started using them.

Bwanna Jim
06-16-2007, 11:01 AM
I also use Rocket expandable heads. I used to use Koplin Twister fixed blades but they are no longer made. Never had to track any deer with those heads!Down within sight every time :D Most were pass throughs.Then tried Razor Backs as the expanders were just coming on the market and wanted to wait and see how they worked? Only problem with the Razors was small wound channel and the blades do not spin into the wound with the arrow! But no tune problems as with fixed blades. Now expandables are much better and you don't need to crank up your bow to get them to open as in the past! Rockets seem to work great for me as well :wink:

06-18-2007, 12:16 AM
There has been alot of critters killed with expandable broadheads,period.But, i don't like them and have seen alot of them fail to do the job.Theres tons of broadheads out there and some of the fixed blade ones aren't so good either but my brother shoots Rockets and has done well with them although he only uses them for white tails.I will tell you that anyone who knows me knows i have hunted all over the place with alot of outfitters and 3 out of the 5 bear guides i have hunted with will not permit you to use expandables for bears.Also, i know of 2 outfitters out west who will not let you use them on any big game except antelope.Some people will argue with you all day about how effective they are but the bottom line is,i could kill a white tail with a rim fire .22 but that doesn't mean that its the right thing to use.To each his or her own.If it works for you great!! But i will tell you all that if you plan on a guided hunt,you better ask your guide if he allows.Just because the law says you can,doesn't mean YOUR guide will let you.I've shot 100 grain Thunderheads for years and never had an issue killing anything.Only because i like the design and the great reviews i've gotten,i'm going to try the new 100 grain G5-Montecs this year on bears in Canada in 82days and Elk in Colorado in Sept. 08'. 8)

firemedic3314
06-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Its all in what the hunter chooses, what works for them and what they like.....I for one WILL NEVER use expandables......dont like em, have seen too many problems with em, and lost too many a good blade on the saw and grinder to a poor hit prior with expandables nd the blades snappin off and embedding....then I shoot the damn crtiiter killing it humanely and finding snapped off blades in the critter. My opinion....I will Stick with THUNDERHEADS.

06-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Muzzy or bust........................

phlstr119
06-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Love Them Muzzy 90-100gr. THWACK, They Fly True, and HIT HARD :wink:

buzzbait1965
06-22-2007, 02:22 PM
I've used them, and know many others too, with good success. I have heard of lots of lost deer also.It's all in the shot placement.You better be able to stick them where you want and we all know that doesn't always happen with the best hunters, although that's true with fixed blades. To many people want the quick easy way, and then take shots they have no business taking anyway. That's a receipe for disaster.

I've switched to Muzzy's over the years and wouldn't shoot anything else.

lurky1
08-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Wuz watchin a show on the Outdoor Channel late last nite and they were hammerin big bucks with a "new" expandable broadhead that was leaving a GIANT entry wound and takin em right down.

Called it "the best "bad shot" broadhead on the market" (kinda jokingly, after a buck taken with a shot placed far back. My thoughts were, why don't they just shoot a fixed blade and place it correctly!)

Unsure what that was but will ck further and post to see if anybody on the board uses or has used em and what they think.

Everything that glitters is NOT gold...

"Do not mistake ACTIVITY for achievement..."

[/i]

hunterdeneugene
08-09-2007, 01:12 PM
those are the Rage expandable, probably the 2 blade. I am going to be trying these this year as everything I have researched tells me they are everything they are hyped up to be. They have a website: http://www.ragebroadheads.com/
Check out the testimonials....pretty impressive.

08-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Many can rave about mechanicals and likely have a leg to stand on....can't knock anything if there's proof in the puddin'.

But, personally, I subscribe to the KISS mindset and seek to eliminate anything extra that could go wrong with a given system.

A mechanical is by nature prone to failure according to Murphies Law whereas a fixed is a tad less worrisome.

I tend to lean on that merit heavily..........

camocladsledneck
08-18-2007, 09:18 PM
I've guess I have bad luck with expandables. I was shooting the NAP spitfires, but I always manage to bump a blade around to partways open. Those arrows don't fly nun too good so I switched back to fixed blades. :oops:

treestandtimmy
08-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Les from Pine Grove Archery made a point on the show yesterday to talk about expandables. His theory is that since the bows are so in-tune now there is no need to take a chance with an expandable based on arrow flight. He says with the right tune, there's nothing like a fixed blade, and I agree whole heartedly.

wackmasters
08-20-2007, 12:14 PM
I have killed many deer with my expadables (100 grain spitfires) but I have never had a pass thru shot even though most should have been. This causes long tracking due to only one hole and 2 lost deer. I will not use these again this year. I am looking at the Crimson Talons, but I would like some suggestions if anyone else has a fixed broadhead brand they like.

Bwanna Jim
08-20-2007, 12:25 PM
But, personally, I subscribe to the KISS mindset and seek to eliminate anything extra that could go wrong with a given system.

A mechanical is by nature prone to failure according to Murphies Law whereas a fixed is a tad less worrisome.

Some would say this would also apply to Compound Bows!

Striker
08-22-2007, 03:07 PM
I've been shooting spitfire expandables in 100 grain for four years now..was at first a little apprehensive to mechanicals but now with a couple of kills under my belt i am confident in using them...the entry and exit holes these suckers leave is amazing...every deer i have shot with them was a complete pass thru and my ten year old Browning bow is not a super fast shooter

Tucker Time
08-25-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm undecided. I have been a fixed blade fan for years. I killed my first buck with a MUZZY. I used them until last year. I used a mechanical last year. I shot a doe at 35yds. The arrow hit it's mark, but did not pass through. The deer only went 40yds, but did not let out as much blood as a complete pass through would have.

Happy about the flight, didn't like the landing :!: