PDA

View Full Version : CROSSBOWS IN PA. FOR OR AGAINST?

Grizzly Gary
10-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Should crossbows be a legal hunting device for all of Pennsylvania? Just curious to hear your thoughts.

Grizzly Gary

darcher
10-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Since there are more disadvantages to crossbows than there are advantages I have no problem with them. Give me a compound anytime. If a hunter wants to use a crossbow he should be able to. Same as if a hunter wants to hunt on Sunday they should be able to, right!!

treerat
10-30-2006, 09:03 AM
NO . for able body hunters . If Some one wants to hunt in Archery season .Take the time to learn to shoot a bow . How ever I wouldnt mind If there was an age limit .Say 60 + year olds .Allowed to use crossbow . I would also like to see some kind of mandatory Bow hunter education In Pa . This could Cut down on some Wannabe bow hunters .

treestandtimmy
11-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Agree with treerat, either old or dissabled should be allowed. Why would any able bodied person want to waste their time with a crossbow??

Old School Dave
11-04-2006, 12:01 PM
I had to switch to a crossbow after both my wrists were operated on and devoloped arthritis in both of them,I no longer had the wrist strength to pull my bow and keep it steady.
I'm not one to take far shots and the past deer shot were either straight down or less then 10 yds out. I have gotten 13 bucks with mine and it still allows me at 66 yrs old to enjoy the sport I so love, otherwise I would be just watching the boob tube and feeling sorry for myself.
There are alot of guys out there armed with a crossbow that think they have a rifle and take shots that are rediculous. If they ever shot that bow at various yds,they would have seen how inapt they are after 20 yds.I used to feel confident with my compound out to 30 yds and the cross bows limitations has gotten me to climb a little higher and get the deer right on top of me before I take my shot. The cross bow has made me a better hunter to a extent and I can proudly say I never had a bad hit and so far always have recovered every deer I shot.
They are heavy,noisy when shot and dont allow a portable stand hunter like my self to get a second shot.
Do I feel they are a good thing? In cases like mine,yes but to throw so many inept hunters into the woods no.
LOL ,Timmy, I'm in both your categories. :oops:

Grizzly Gary
11-06-2006, 10:33 AM
In my opinion they should be legal. I also agree that an Archery Ed Class should be mandatory. I just figure anything we can do to increase numbers of hunters is a good thing.

Grizzly Gary

MR ED
11-06-2006, 10:41 AM
New York has a required archery ed safety class OR a previous licence. I think that is a good thing. When I got the NY archery (YEARS AGO), I took a safety archery class at Gem City Gun Club in Edinboro. It was a two day class with field training. When you got to the field, they layed a blood trail with some mix of food dye and you had to be able to follow the trail. It was a REAL educational experience and am glad to have had the oportunity to take it.

MR ED

Shellback
11-08-2006, 08:02 PM
I guess I'm old school, but I don't think they belong in archery season for able bodied hunters. Elderly or disabled I can agree on. Personally I hung up my bow several years ago after 30+ years of bowhunting only. Today's archer is too mechanical in my mind. I always shot recurve and then compound barebow only, less gadgets was always better for me. When I look at an archery magazine today and see the new bows, I figure they would be better suited for Star Trek! Oh well, I can't turn the clock back 30 years.

Buck Master
11-08-2006, 08:33 PM
I used to be against crossbow use during archery season. I'm more neuteral now, I really don't know how they compare to today's high-tech compound bows.

Swanny
11-10-2006, 08:09 PM
I am all for crossbows being legal. Hell, inline rifles have a special season now . Why should'nt crossbow enthusiasts have the same rights?