PDA

View Full Version : KINZUA WALLEYE REPORT

Grizzly Gary
05-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Well the season is here at last and we are off to a good start. Heres my report.

Eyes seem to have moved down from up river already. Worked the water from the 86 bridges down to the in inlet 2 different times and nary a bite.

Lowbanks is getting a little action. Highbanks is better. Wolfbend area has also been hot. Mr.Ed when I told you Sunday afternoon that Mighty Mike and Larry the Lunker wouldn't be in that area that long if they weren't getting fish? I was right. They double limited with several of the fish in the 20 inch range.

Most fish a nice chunky 16-18 inchers.

The trollers I talked to didn't seem to be doing well. The jiggers were hot especially Saturday and Sunday.

1/4 oz down to 1/16 oz jigheads in glow pink and glo orange tipped with 1/2 or whole crawler or minnie. I got a nice chunky 19"er on a glo-o 1/4 fuzz z grub body and tipped with a leech in the twin islands area.

Some also ran into some HUGE Crappie while chasing eyes. I'm talking 14 and 15 inchers!

Monday was a little slower as Mighty Mike and I only landed 2 17' types and a handfull of short ones.

Tuesday was BRUTAL!!! We fished top to bottom starting at the 86 bridge and worked our way down to Bone Run. WE NEVER GOT A SINGLE BITE!!!!! Nada nothing zip 0! All we caught yesterday was a tan!!! :lol:

The fish are looking healthy and with 11 limits at Tom Means tourny things bode well for some serious competition this weekend at the KAWA DAV tourny.

Please all feel free to add here. I will also get a Chautauqua report this afternoon.

Grissly Gary

carl milks
05-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Saturday opener, I fished my "usual" spots. Caught 10 keepers. Wind & waves-big time!!! Nice fish, ranged from a 20 incher,three 18's,five 17.5's & one dink @ 15.5
THEN Sunday @ KOC- no wind, no waves, & NO FISH!!!! Did the exact same thing as Saturday in the same areas and could'nt get a keeper to save us!!!! Oh well, that's 'eye fishing on the Zoo!!!! Hav'nt been out since. Looking forward to this weekend's DAV.

Grizzly Gary
05-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Sorry it took so long but here is an update.

Bite has been good on Kinzua. Lots of legal fish being taken from the Reservation waters. High Banks area is producing. Fish are also being taken from Onoville Marina up.

Eyes are still shallow due to the cold weather.

Trollers and jiggers are both getting fish. Trolling I suggest bottom bouncers with #3 Colorado Blade crawler harnesses. Switch colors to see what's working that day.

Jigging I suggest 1/8 oz. jigheads tipped with a crawler or leech. Flo Orange, Chartreuse are the most popular colors. Pink has worked well. I have also been taking fish on 3 inch Berkely Gulp Minnows in white and orange colors. Also have been successful with Lindy"s Munchies.

Don't forget to fish the points of Onoville, Stateline, Willow Bays.

Will be out this weekend and update you then.

Anyone that would like to add to this please do. Let's help our out of town guests be successful.

Grissly Gary

Swanny
05-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Wednesday I fished above the 86 bridge in the river, caught 5 legal walleyes 1short walleye and 1 white bass every other cast. Thursday I fished the same stretch, caught 2 walleyes and a white bass about every cast. I have never seen the white bass so thick in an area. They were chassing minnows all over, it was nuts! My jig would just hit the water and BAM the white bass would slam it. It was fun at first then it just became annoying. On wednesday all the fish were caught on 1/8 oz jig heads with twister tails, thursday I switched to a husky jerk right at dark and the walleyes were caught on that set up. No big eyes, good eaters 15" - 17".

Grizzly Gary
05-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Just got back from the ZOO. Launched at 6:45 am and had lines in the water by 7. Me and Mighty Mike fished till 1 pm and caught only 1 eye. We didn't have a single bite all day except that one eye. NOT A SINGLE BITE!!! No perch, no whitebass, no nothing!!!

Talked to Fryer Tuck on the water and he had nothing though he had just started. We fished Pearce, Bone Run, The wing, Stateline Bay, Onoville point and got the only bite at Stateline.

Mighty Mike fished Friday for 12 hours and Saturday for 8 and never got a legal fish.

Confidence is low for the Kinzua Kenny! Hey Gilligan! Got any of that dynamite left?!?! :lol:

Grissly Gary

carl milks
05-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Gary, there has been a phenomanon this year for reasons unknown, of when NOTHING bites, NOTHING bites! No perch, no white bass-nada! I don't recall having this happen before. Usually something pesters you. But this year when the perch hit actively, that's when I'm catchin eyes too. Got me stumped. I'm only surmising it's the cold water. The panfish are there- I see them on sonar, they just don't hit much- and the same with the eyes. It's been hit and miss. For me, it's more miss than hit. Worst year I've had in a long time. Lots of dinks (future big 'uns), some "decent" ones here & there, just no rhyme nor reason for me this year. Oh well, that's fishin!!!!

OTTER119
05-31-2006, 07:56 AM
I camped out over the holiday weekend and got to do some fishing Sunday during the day and Monday morning. I fished the PA waters down midlake, tried jigs with crawlers and minnows. I could not catch a walleye, but got several rock bass and a couple smallmouth on 1/8 oz jig with crawler. Water did seem cool and clear to me. I'll be out fishing more now that spring gobbler season is over and will try and report.

Grizzly Gary
06-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Fishing the Kinzua Kenny Tournament this weekend. I will post my results and tactics used by all over the weekend.

Walleyes are being taken in the river below the dam on #11 Stick Rapalas in black and silver. Anglers are telling me that the fish will follow a jig & crawler or a live minnow right up to you and then turn away. Yet they are whacking those Rapalas.

If you are wading always check the outflow report before you go. Good Luck!

Grissly Gary

Grizzly Gary
06-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Kinzua is HOT! This past weekend 377 legal walleyes were brought to the scales at the Kinzua Kenny Tournament. Big fish of the weekend was 3.04 pounds.

Fish were being taken very shallow. Most anglers were either pitching jigs at the shore line and bouncing back or dragging jigs in the 3-7 foot range. Both had success.

Trollers were also doing well with crawler harnesses as well as stick baits.

Fish were taken in both Pa. & Reservation waters. Hottest action was stretch between Onoville Bay and into Bone Run. Flat from Bone Run up to Pierce Run also produced good numbers of keeper eyes.

Pa. trees have been slow to produce but always remember to check that lumber.

The old standby was true this past weekend. Start shallow and work your way out to deeper water. This time the shallow water was HOT HOT HOT!!!

Good Luck and Good Fishing!

Gary

Grizzly Gary
06-08-2006, 12:23 AM
Mighty Mike fished Bone Run Tuesday late afternoon and the eyes are still in the 3-5 foot depth range in Bone Run. He landed 4 keeper eyes and about 20 short ones in about 2 and a half hours. He said the action was fast and furious.

Grissly Gary

Grizzly Gary
06-11-2006, 05:41 PM
It's killing me that I have not been able to get out on the "ZOO" this weekend. However my tournamnet partner Mighty Mike did fish the "ZOO" Saturday. Here is his report.

Launched out of Friends boat launch on the Reservation end. Got 3 keepers at High Banks and also got one keeper at Bone Run. All fish taken on 1/8th oz. round lead head jigs in Chartreuse or Flo Orange tipped with a whole crawler.Fish are still shallow in that 10ft. or less of water.

Also caught at least 30 short eyes between him and Larry the Lunker. The boys went through 11 dozen crawlers.

Haven't spoke to anybody fishing the PA. side this week. Anybody fishing the PA. side please share your results.

Any and all that wish to share their results here please feel free to do so. You do not give the spot on the spot.

Gary

carl milks
06-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Was out Sat (6-17) up on Reservation in my usual spots. Last Sun @ KOC tourny, caught well over 100 'eyes, yesterday- 10, with 1 keeper. Started at 0730, caught the fish I did by 1000 hrs and NOT A HIT after that. Quit at 1400hrs. Of course, the sky was clear and extreme bright sun, and no wind! The water was like glass til 1300, but it got so HOT out there I had to leave. I could'nt even get a perch or white bass to hit either after the sun came overhead. But I've been doing this all season-feast or famine!! One day I pound them & next strike out.

Grizzly/Grissly Gary
06-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Mighty Mike and I fished from 6:30 am till about noon yesterday. Put about a dozen dinks in the boat and that was it. Graphed fish out on the edges at Bone Run in 20 ft. of water but could not get them to go.

Carl,I agree with you that one day they're hot and the next not.

Gary

Grizzly Gary
06-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Couple of buddies of mine double limited 6/20/06 running 16 ft. of water from the Bone Run to Pierce Run flat. Running crawler harnesses. All the fish were 18-19 inch eyes.

We were in the same area Sunday and didn't get crap. One day their hot! One day their not! Why do I always seem to pick the NOT days?

Gary

06-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Caught 4 keepers Saturday evening in Pa.12 feet of water, using white jigs and crawlers.

carl milks
06-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Limited out yesterday (6-25) dragging hardware on Reservation. three 18's, one 18.5 & a dandy 20"er. Depths from 12 feet out to 17 feet. Not a breeze, lake flat & sun HOT!!! Surface temp 69 when started and reached 81 when done. Caught from 0730 to noon, then shut down. Fished another hour without a hit, not even a perch. Got too hot out there for me so I quit.

Bryan Hoffner
06-28-2006, 06:11 AM
Went out of Roper Hollow last night. Started out honing our mid summer trolling skills and ended up with a 25 inch musky in Sugar Bay and a couple fairly decent bass. Around 7 we got serous and ran up lake to a personal favorite and we ended up with 5 leagal eyes and a bunch of dinks. No real size 15" to 161/2".
A couple buddies were already on the spot when we got there and they left before it even got dark. They ran out of bait. Their tally was 5 or 6 legals and over 30 short ones so they say. Knowing these guys I'll find out in a week or 2 they had their limits.

P.S. For any heading down to Roper. There is a grouse guarding a nest by the outhouse. Pretty neat she'll stand up to whomever gets to close. She even attacked once last night. Looked for the nest but didn't find it and figured best to leave it alone. When walking away I watched and she headed back to the brush as fast as I walked away.

OTTER119
06-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Fished PA midlake last night - must have been close to Bryan's favorite spot. Caught 3 legal and many short walleyes. I was trying for walleyes, but got lots of other fish too, 1 white bass, lots of rock bass, a couple little smallmouths, and one 23" pike. All fish on jig and crawler.

Not sure if I'll be out there this weekend or not, it can get too busy for my liking on the holiday weekends.

Grizzly Gary
06-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Bryan, who'd a thunk that a woman/grouse would kick a guys a**!

Otter119, thanks for the report.

Grizzly Gary

Bryan Hoffner
06-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Gary, under the tournament talk section of this sight for the july kawa tourny there is a reply from kawa guy about Cole S. that i believe mentions him wearing pink panties on his head???????????????????????????????????? who's wearing what in the family????
take it from there

Grizzly Gary
07-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Bryan, it is none of my business how Cole and Maria dress or crossdress! :lol: What Cole does in the privacy of his own home is his business. It is my hope that Maria is the wonderful woman that I know her to be and she will allow Cole to fish the KAWA tournament July 16th.

KAWA Guy apparently has been to our PA deer camp where the tradition is that the newest guy to camp must wear the pink panties on his head and do the dishes etc. for the weekend.

Grizzly Gary

07-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Fished Monday (July 3rd) morning out of roper again. Tried some different spots with similar results. About 8 Kinzua average (~14 1/2") 'eyes and one 17" eater. Got one nice perch, a few rock bass, and 4 or 5 smallmouths (none very big). All fish on jigs and crawlers. Some of the short walleyes and bass came out of downed shoreline trees. Talked to some guys back at the launch who got a couple keepers over in sugar bay.

Grizzly Gary UL
07-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Me and Mighty Mike fished Monday July 3rd from 7-12. I got 3 keepers 15 1/4, 16 1/2 and 18 1/2. Got them all on 1/16 oz. Chartreuse Jigheads tipped with a jumbo leech in 8-12 ft. of water. We got the fish running up the side from Onoville Bay to Bone Run.

Mike and Larry the Lunker slaughtered them on Saturday July 1st with all colors jigheads in 18 oz in 16 foot of water from Bone Run up to Pierce Run.

I have heard that fish are being taken in Sugar Bay on the PA. side of Kinzua. I also am getting reports of the fishing picking up down the arm. Morrison & Chapel Bays.

Good luck to all!

Grizzly Gary

OTTER119
07-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Just got back from a good afternoon/eveninng on Kinzua, PA water. Burned thru 5-6 dozen crawlers on jigs. 4x keeper eyes, 1 keeper perch, half dozen smallies(a couple not to bad), short walleyes at every stop, and a few rock bass. Caught the walleyes in the windy chop and the still no wind areas too, didn't seem to matter.

OTTER 119
07-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Fished off shore at webbs last night for a few hours. Didn't land a fish, but had a couple fish on that I lost on jig and crawler. Had some little rock bass follow and nibble near shore. It is tough to jig or fight fish back into shore up the steep shale banks without getting snagged. Also tried some 4-5" golden shiners on hook and slip sinker set-up, no biters on these. Think I'll go out on the boat this weekend and jig some more crawlers.

kinzua fisherman
07-18-2006, 01:37 PM
fished webbs and morrison and chapel on the pa side this past weekend. caught 4 keepers all about 16 inchers. quater ounce jigs with crawlers in 25 feet of water we also got a lot of little ones. hope this helps someone have good luck.

Mighty Mike
07-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Fished Pierce yesterday evening got 3 keepers and a load of shoet ones in 3 hours. Res. waters have been steady for me all year.

Gary make me do this posts so dont yell if i spell wrong. me and computers dont get along.

Mighty Mike

Grizzly Gary UL
07-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Otter, KF and Mighty Mike thanks for the reports. Kinzua has been good all summer. I haven't been there since the end of June but all reports I am getting are good.

Grizzly Gary

Mighty Mike
07-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Here i am again with Grizz standing over my shoulder. Used to count on him to fish any and all the time. Now he is famous i fish mostly by myself!

I got 2 nice 18' types on saturday and lost a fattere one at the side of the boat. On the reservation end. 1/8 oz jigs with crawlers in 15 feet of water.

The big thing that bugs me about gary fishing less is that i dont get him to buy me soda pops after i beat him fishing. how about attending a few less meetings and buying me some drinks.

Mighty Mike

Bryan Hoffner
08-01-2006, 05:53 AM
Shame on you Gary, remember the saying "friends don't let friends go dry" especially when you've got them used to you buying.
You're going to drive mighty mike to the next levels of fishing.
# 1 is that you won't be able to ever out fish him again giving him all this practice without being there to slow him down. # 2 is you won't be able to afford his habits after words if you don't get catching up shortly on your end.

Grizzly Gary UL
08-01-2006, 12:45 PM
I have never seen a guy that is so lucky as Mighty Mike! As soon as I say "Next legal fish is a Senior Soda Pop fish" he has one on! It's mind boggling!!!

I am sorry that I have been so busy MM. Hey, we will be kind of fishing together this weekend when we take the youth group kids out on the Zoo! Wonder if we can get the kids to buy? Nah, probably not a good idea!

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary
08-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Fished the Zoo both Friday and Saturday. Friday fished the reservation waters in the Wolf Bend area. Lots of short eyes, 2 decent smallies and 2 chunky keeper eyes 17 & 19 inches. Getting the fish a little deeper. Both keepers in 20 ft. of water with 1/4 oz jigheads with crawlers.

Fished PA. waters Saturday. Ric Zandee put a 26 1/2 inch 6 pound eye in the boat right in the Wolf Run Marina Bay! He was dragging a floating jighead tipped with a Golden Shiner when the hawg eye hit. Other than that small eyes a couple nice smallies.

I have noticed the bite seems to shut off lately at about 11 am. seems to then be useless till about 6 pm.

Good luck all!

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary
08-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Will be fishing the Zoo Saturday with Mighty Mike. Will post an update.

Grizzly Gary

MR ED
08-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Grizz. with all the Erie fishing you have been doing.. can you give me a report?? Would like to go out and get some this weekend.

MR ED

Grizzly
08-25-2006, 03:12 PM
I hope to be on Kinzua tomorrow myself. You and I have both been on the Big Waters of Erie these last weeks so I can't help you.

I would suggest you read the Wed.8/16 topic that are on this page. Ed Yohe and the boys have some good tips posted there.

If nothing changes I will see you on the water tomorrow.

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary
08-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Launched out of Onoville and had lines in the water approx. 7 am. WE SUCKED! Me and Mighty Mike hit all of our spots and landed about 10 short eyes total. Fished til 12:30 pm and am I sure glad it wasn't a tournament day!

Hope some of you guys and gals had better luck than we did!

Grizzly Gary

kinzukid
08-26-2006, 10:19 PM
The last two times out on the Zoo sucked. Fished last Sunday for 3 hours and yesterday for 2. Total catch = 3 short smallies last week and one yesterday. The only bite I had yesterday. I had a youngster yesterday and was hoping for perch , rockbass or anything. This lake needs a lot of help!

carl milks
08-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Fished the Zoo Saturday(yesterday) near Onoville. Launched at 0800, had priorities so had to quit by 2P. The 1st couple hrs sucked with a couple hits, but dropped before hookset. I ran into an active bunch about in 15 to 18 ft. at 1P. I worked them til I had to leave-yes leave biting fish!!!! Limited out in that last 1/2 hr!!!! Of course I only kept my personal limit of 3, leaving the other 3 go. Biggest was 19", rest were 17's. Caught only 10 total, but 6 were keepers. No bass at all, and only a very few perch. Odd bite to say the least. Some of the eye hits were so subtle, I honestly could'nt tell if it was a snag starting or a fish. They were tight lipped. And yes Gary & Linda- I was" going the wrong way again"!!!!

Grizzly
08-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Carl,

Glad you found fish and had a good day. Kinzu Kid and I will have to start tail piping ya!

Grizzly Gary

carl milks
08-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Gary, If you tailpipe me-I'll run OVER ya!!!! Don't forget- I go "the wrong way" being a backtroller. You're more than welcome to follow my nose tho!!!

Grizzly Gary
08-30-2006, 01:48 PM
The nose knows where the fish are apparently " Wrong Way Carl!" :lol:

Grizzly Gary

09-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Apparently I went "the wrong way" yesterday! Had the worst day out there this year, launched @ 0830, fished til 1930- only caught 19 'eyes with NO KEEPERS. Never found a fish over 14 inches all day. Fished the same spots we fished past couple weeks where we pounded them, now-nada!! Very few perch & no white bass either. Even tried "new" spots, same results. Seemed like nothing was moving. They were hitting so lite you could barely detect them.

Grizzly Gary
09-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Same for us today Carl. I don't think it would of mattered if we went forward, backward, sideways or upside down! We couldn't catch a walleye today to save our lives!!!

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary
09-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Walleye bite is starting to pick up again on the Zoo. Mighty Mike boated several keepers this past Saturday in Bone Run.

I also got a report of a double limit of eyes in the 18-20 inch rangs in the PA waters in the 20-23 fot depth rangs while trolling harnesses. I was sworn to secrecy as to the exact location. All I can say is that it was in waters from Wolf Run Marina north towards NY. Sorry I have to keep my word!

Grizzly Gary

09-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Gary- Be careful when narrowing those hotspots down!!!!

Bryan Hoffner
09-12-2006, 06:19 AM
mmmmmmmm, plays right into my hunch Gary. Been contemplating playing in PA this weekend. My partner in crime "Carpeye Cole" and I will be out Thursday and Friday proving the PA mid septmber theory. I have painted the lund camoflouge to match the PA shoreline and put a counsel in for hiding pruposes. It is no longer a bright red tiller. Even wearing camo with face panit too boot.

Long lining believers off the boards is my belief for success.

Grizzly Gary
09-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Starting to get lots of good reports about the PA waters. Heck even Zandee got a 6 pounderr a couple weeks ago right in Wolf Run Marina. Speaking of Wolf Run Marina the Kinzua Fish & Wildlife Assoc. put a bunch of trees and cribs in there early this year. They are really starting to hold fish. Guy got a limit of eyes the other day from the point under the Casey Bridge back. Work that water where they are putting in the new fish walkway.

See ya at the rules meeting Hoff! Unless you are fully camoed there and I can't see ya! :lol:

Grizzly Gary