PDA

View Full Version : Draining the Zoo?

treestandtimmy
11-02-2006, 09:53 AM
I heard on the news last night that the water level at the dam is too high, and they are going to let some off, but the river is pretty high too. Is this going to effect fishing for you guys or what thoughts do you have about it.

Bryan Hoffner
11-02-2006, 11:14 AM
yep it sure will affect it. Makes the river almost unfishable but it can be done in certain areas doing certain things.

The reservoir is half a joke when they are dumping like this. it really slows the fishing up,especally the eyes. It might be because they are constantly repositioning themselves to be in the climate the want to be in. people don't realize it but when you're dropping the zoo 1 to 2 feet per day that is really changing things really fast. Either or anyway it hurts the eye fishing. We've canceled our 3 day camping, fishing excursion for the weekend because of it. i'll just go up and play around saturday

Mighty Mike
11-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Kinzua will be useless for at least a week or 2. They will drop the thing 20 feet or more. That screws everything up.

Mike

John Lorenzo
11-03-2006, 07:40 AM
that's funny, the best and I mean the best walleye days I've evey had on Kinzua has been when they are really dropping the water, I've always found them stacked up in the channel behind current breaks eating anything that floats by in the current!

Willow Creeker
11-06-2006, 01:08 AM
John,
You couldn't be more right!!!!!!!

I don't fish below the dam so I can't comment, but this is a GREAT time to fish the zoo.

I can't wait to get my boat back. The walleye fishing should be fantastic. I love when they pull the zoo down in a hurry, especially this time of year.

Just have to fish for them in different ways, and make them bite, but very very rewarding. The Pa spots will turn on as well with that kind of "under water current"!!!!!

All they do is swim, eat, and breed, ( right Chuck / Rich ) and they aint breeding.

This time of year they aren't likely to go two days without feeding !!!!

Tom Means

John Lorenzo
11-06-2006, 09:05 AM
well the walleye bite is on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my dad caught a real nice limit Sunday 2-16inchers and the rest 18-19 inchers, he also had a 6 pounder up to the boat and lost it fumbling for the net! LIKE I SAID the best walleye fishing I've experienced is when they are dropping the water in the fall!!!!!!!! Boy I just might have to get the Ranger out atleast one more time. Dad caught them all on metal cuz I guess there's no minnows to be found at the bait shops on the east side of the "ditch".

Willow Creeker
11-06-2006, 12:30 PM
John,

Glad to hear your dad had a great day on the zoo. To many people complain there is know fish in the zoo, or they won,t bite this week or that month, bs all you have to do is get off the couch or out of the bars and find them.

The same people who are out there in ALL the weather are the ones who consistently catch fish, and they earn it.

You got to love the ones who think they are a "legend in their own mind", but then won,t fish if the bite is not on, and then wonder how others can catch them. The bite is always on somewere, just have to find it.

Any body can catch them when they are committing suicide.

Like I said in an earlier post, when the leaves come off, hang on cause you will see the big girls.

Just got the call from the mechanic, the new lower unit is on and ready to go. I will have to give her a test run on sunday. I will not want to sell it now with the new power head in september and now a lower unit, but a 18 - 19 ft boat would make it easier to take people out, especially on Erie.

See you on the water.

Tom Means

OTTER119
11-06-2006, 07:44 PM
I got a few to bite too:D . Was out Monday evening, motored up to the reservation around wolf run, got two 16 inchers and lost another bigger one. Had a few other missed hits too! Not bad for a couple hour trip. Got all bites on shiners.

"legend in their own mind" - - - - I know what you mean :roll:

Mighty Mike
11-07-2006, 04:35 PM
guess i should try something new. must be the fisherman not the fish. You guys are right that the fish are there you just got to find them then put the right thing in front of them. Dont know no legends. Wish i did cause id want to learn from them.

mike