PDA

View Full Version : Chaut Lake Walleye reports?

firemedic3314
05-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Any info on Chaut Lake walleye so far this season? I fished at Long Point Wed night @ 10pm....got several hits on Rapalas, only caught one keeper....but it was good one...was actually my first walleye ever. 28" long...8 lbs 15 oz. I was happy to say the least. Got it on a pink clown #11 Rapala casting off the docks. So i guess the lake still has some good eyes in it. Shining a spotlight in the shallows I saw several 12-15" eyes chasin perch on the bottom, also saw several that would probably go over 20" crusin the shallows also.

05-12-2006, 01:21 PM
I was waiting for a walleye report thread. Good to hear of someone catching walleye off of a dock. I often fish off of a dock in the north end, seeing as though my boat is docked near the outlet, and getting up to the N. end is quite costly. I however haven't had any luck with eyes. I have caught some nice rock bass, and a couple of white perch, all of which have fought like heck. I have been jigging a 1/8 ounce stand-up Northland jig tipped with crawlers and leaches, along with casting a #11 size black and silver thunderstick. I might have to give Long Point a try, I didn't realize you could fish off thier docks...I am usually near the Vikings. While on the docks, i have seen a couple of real nice pairs of Largemouths, in the 18-22 inch range. Won't be long til Bass season! :D

jiggingshad11
05-16-2006, 10:36 PM
A friend e-mail me and said he fished Chaut Lake this weekend and caught some nice eye's in 35' useing jiggingshads and gotcha's. Yes Gilligan, jigging--not slow trolling jigs. :roll:

Gilligan unlogged
05-18-2006, 09:16 AM
A friend e-mail me and said he fished Chaut Lake this weekend and caught some nice eye's in 35' useing jiggingshads and gotcha's. Yes Gilligan, jigging--not slow trolling jigs. :roll:

Hey Jiggingshad...are you up this weekend? Probably not as you retirees get to pick and choose days. Planned on Erie Fri-Sun but looking at the wind we just may be down to Chautauqua for part of the weekend.

GR8FUL2FISH
05-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Anyone having any luck with eyes in the south basin of Chautauqua? Not looking for any "secret spots", just some info on what is being used successfully and around what type of structure. If you have any tips for N. basin, could use those too. Thanks.

Grizzly Gary
05-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Getting reports of eyes being take by those wading out from Lakewood Beach. Throwing stick Rapalas at or just after dark. Also have been told that eyes are being taken in the lLong Point Area. One was throwing a BeetleSpin and caught a 24 inch eye.

I know a lot of guys that like to wade out just short of the weed edges and cast out just beyond with a traditional hook & crawler and slowly work it back.

If you have a boat it is always worth hitting Rock & Grass Islands in the southern basin with crankbaits early in the morning. I have also had success running from the northern point of Rock Island going north slowly trolling a live minnow. Have caught some nice eyes as well a Crappie and Bass this way.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Grissly Gary

GR8FUL2FISH
05-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the tips, my buddy and i will probably be going out tonight as well as tomorrow a.m. We usually stick to cranks, but we may just have to try some crawlers. I'll let you all know how we do. I think tonights success will depend on how many senior sodapops are consumed...within responsible limits of course! :D

BarterBargeSkip
05-26-2006, 11:39 AM
GR8FUL2FISH Maybe tonight is the night.

GR8FUL2FISH
05-26-2006, 11:45 AM
I agree...as long as the T-storms hold off...i wouldn't mind a little drizzle. It always seems to bring good luck. Plus, i've been stuck doing work around the house and am jonesin to get out on the lake

BarterBargeSkip
05-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Me Too.
We need to get out and cover a little water.
I Think our weather window is going to open.
See you tonight.

05-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Any good reports from chautaqua? jigging or trolling? I plan on making a trip up on Saturday? Iwould apreciate a little info. I will post any luck I have on sunday.

Grizzly Gary
05-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Just spoke to a guide friend of mine. He is suggesting trolling in the Southern basin.

I would suggest stick baits along the weed lines or casting them at Grass & Rock Islands early in the am or late in the evening.

I am also getting reports of some success trolling the North end of the lake in 20-25 ft. of water. Thundersticks,Walleye Divers are the cranks of choice.

Hope you have a great day on the water!

Grissly Gary

GR8FUL2FISH
05-31-2006, 07:49 AM
The wife and i were relaxing near Cheney farm in about 7-8 feet of water yesterday evening trying to catch a breeze and escape the heat. I decided to throw a few lines out, and was surprised to see several small schools of 15-18 inch walleye follow my thunderstick and then worm harness up to the boat, then turn away when they saw me...they would not bite :cry: When i was throwing the worm harness, with a gulp worm (left the crawlers at home), had something huge go to grab it but missed...all i saw was a large green flash about 5 yards behind the boat...got my heart thumping. Did mangage a few nice rockies, and an absolutely gorgeous pumpkinseed. Kept seeing eyes, but for some reason they weren't interested in anything i threw.

06-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Tried the lower end yesterday, it yeilded no eyes but did get 4 smallies 17- 22 inches . Fished around the rock piles , in the weeds , on the weed edges . N o crappies, a couple of nice gills , white perch , and those dandy smallies. When will we get those nice walleyes we use to catch a few years back? I thought with the 3 a day limit at 18"
we would at least start catching some small ones by now .

Grissly Gary UL
06-06-2006, 12:37 PM
I am getting reports of eyes now starting to hit on the weed lines. Some jiggers are having success but most are trolling Crankbaits. If you are jigging with live bait you had better bring a ton as the White Perch are brutal as always.

Will be fishing the KAWA Tournament on July 16th. Plan on hitting Chautauqua hard the end of this month. Reports will follow.

Grissly Gary

Swanny
06-20-2006, 09:11 PM
I talked to a buddy that got 3 keepers 18" - 24" on saturday somewhere between cheney 's pt and the bridge. I plan on hitting the lake around the 4th. Anyone else doing any good?

Bryan Hoffner
06-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Swanny let's get together around the 4th to fish up there. I think one way or another I'm going to fish the kawa tourny mid july. Called you yesterday to go, the wife must have had you busy again around the house. Sucks for all you people that have to keep the peace at home, It's fun just packing up and going.

Swanny
06-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Hoff- Gregg tried getting ahold of you he's looking for someone to fish Tom Means tournament out of North East. I am having a bout of the stomach flu right now, good ole uncle ralph just won't leave. Hopefully I will be over it by this week end. I am planning on going to Chautauqua either saturday afternoon or sunday morning. I'll try your cell thursday or friday.

Grizzly Gary
06-29-2006, 11:43 AM
I am getting reports of eyes being taken on harnesses and cranks. The guys say they are working hard to get them. There is also a hell of a battle getting those harnesses past the white perch.

Grizzly Gary

treerat
06-30-2006, 11:39 AM
The ones we got on harnesses were in ten ft of water last weekend . This was daytime fishing .
Question how fast do you troll with cranks? I might get back up there this week some time

Gilligan
07-04-2006, 12:03 PM
The ones we got on harnesses were in ten ft of water last weekend . This was daytime fishing .
Question how fast do you troll with cranks? I might get back up there this week some time

Every crank bait seems to have its own sweet spot. Some will give you great action at slower speeds others dont seem to kick in until you kick in mosre speed. Try working baits with good actions from 2-2.5 mph the higher speeds will reduce the white perch hookups. If the weeds are floating from the cutters jigging will be a better alternative.

treerat
07-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks Gilligan. Iam just one of those stupid trout fisherman .Used to small streams not the lakes . Might get up to the lake Saturday .Any reports from mid week ?

Gilligan
07-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Even though I guide on Chautauqua, honestly I have not been on the water there much as this is the part of the season I concentrate on Erie. Can just give you some starting points...

At this time of the season I usually jig and do so on the weed edges in am and pm or low visibility (good chop and/or overcast) No chop and/or brite sun stick to the edges and if the bite goes away slide into the weeds and fish the pockets. Another crankbait option would be to set up outside the weed edge and cast shallow running baits up into the submerged weeds and work it back to the boat.

Grizzly Gary UL
07-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Will be hitting Chautauqua Sunday afternoon with Capt. Wally. Will file a report when I get home.

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary
07-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Just got back from an afternoon on Chautauqua with Capt. Wally Carlson. Tried to run cranks first but had one hell of a time with all of the weeds floating and clogging on the lines. How do you guys keep that stuff of your lines???!!!

Moved into the weedline to jig and took 5 Kinzua Eyes in an hour. Unfortunately we were fishing Chautauqua so those 16-17 inch eyes weren't legal. Had fun catching them though. They were fat and healthy fish.

Got all fish on 1/8th and 1/4 oz jigs tipped with crawlers and leeches sitting right on the weedline. I am shocked that we only caught about 1/2 dozen white perch.

Lots of sunnies and gills. Had a good time for a three hour trip. Not real positive about this Sundays KAWA Tournament though. Would be real happy if we had landed at least one legal eye.

Boat & Jet Ski traffic was brutal as usual.

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary
07-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Capt. Wally Carlson and I fished Chautauqua from 7:30 am till 11:30 am today 7/14/06.

Picked up a nice 24" 4 lber trolling h&t's in the southern basin to start the day.

Moved north to work the weed lines and picked up 2 more 18" ers and another 1/2 dozen 17" ers.

There are eyes to be had on Chautauqua!

Also managed to end the lives of 2 dozen White Perch! :lol:

Saw Bucksnort and several others. Will Bucksnort hang and fish on Sunday? Or will he feel he is not on fish and run like a hound chased coon?!?!

I love ya BuckSnort!!!

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary UL
07-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Fishing the Kawa Tournament showed without a doubt there are Walleyes to be caught on Chautauqua. Will provide a better report and the tactics used when I get home later.

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary
08-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Haven't heard from any of you Chautauqua guys. What's the latest?

Grizzly Gary

firemedic3314
08-23-2006, 10:59 PM
WEEDS!!!!!!

Grizzly
08-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Weeds are the fishermans friend FM3314. Put some nice eyes in the boat jigging the weed line.

Grizzly Gary

firemedic3314
08-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Grizzly Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:40 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weeds are the fishermans friend FM3314. Put some nice eyes in the boat jigging the weed line.

Grizzly Gary

Weeds are our friends to a point Gary...( in case you didnt quite grasp the point..I know you are getting kinda gray between the ears and senile too..I was being a smartazz...) I dont mind fishin weeds...in fact like to do so at times..i just dont like fighting all the weeds to launch or get to the fishing spots...or burning up my outboards trying to get on the water.

Grizzly
08-25-2006, 02:03 PM
You were being a smartazz? Who'd a thunk it! Is there anybody on this site that isn't!?!? :lol: That's why I love you guys!

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary
09-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Nobody on Chautauqua lately? We need to get some reports for FisherMOM for her trip in October.

Grizzly Gary

FisherMOM
09-15-2006, 04:56 PM
I wonder if my rod and reel are big enough for Muskies...
let me go get it and see what it is.. lol!

FisherMOM
09-15-2006, 05:02 PM
It's a BIG GAME Shakespeare... "Contender Custom"

model# ccbws702m

7' 0" Medium Action 10 - 15 lb. line

Grizzly Gary
09-16-2006, 08:15 PM
I think that will work FisherMOM. I would love for you to catch a nice lunge, eye, bass, perch and hell, even a big fat white perch during your visit to Chautauqua. Just remember to KILL the white perch.

We will all do our best to put you and your family on fish!

Grizzly Gary

FisherMOM
09-16-2006, 08:29 PM
did I tell you that we will be there early Friday.

The girls have off school and David took the day off.
Check in time is noon. I was going through my gear tonight
and I figure... heck, I'll take it all! (well.. most all of it!)

jiggingshad11
10-10-2006, 10:06 AM
I fished Chaut. Friday,Sunday,and half a day Mon. water temp 57-58 deg.. fish on the drops of some deep holes (20'-30') north end , most all day friday caught 8-10 short eye's. Sunday started on the drops again for hour or so headed across lake slow-marked fish around the middle in 40' to43' on the flats, caught 15-20 eyes-ended up with 3 keepers 18 1/2" -- 26". Using nils-master jigginshad and a silver buddy. Caught 3 or 4 different year class fish, so hopefully in a couple more years it will be easier catching. Go Get-em. (1- 30" muskie-silver buddy)

Grizzly Gary
10-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the report jiggingshad11. I agree with you that Chautauqua will be a hot walleye lake again next year. When the guys from Esox Angler Magazine and "The Next Bite" Tv show were here 2 weeks ago they boated 17 Muskies in 3 days. That along with your report shows that Chautauqua Lake is a hot spot.

Grizzly Gary