PDA

View Full Version : FIRST ICE. WHEN DO YOU FEEL SAFE?

Grizzly Gary
11-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Those guys that have to be first ice anglers are kooks as far as I am concerned. Going out on 2 inches of ice isn't in this chubby little fishermans playbook! I wait for a minimum of 3 inches of good clear ice. I prefer 4 inches or better! I will pass on that first ice bite!

Are you a first ice kook?

Grizzly Gary

Tone
11-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Same here Grizz. I like at least 3". I don't like to see the water bouncing out of my holes as I approach them :shock: Also with 3" or less I tend to worry about getting back off at the end of the day if they're playing with the water level. That just takes the fun out of it for me. Besides, 5 or 6 inches is even better for the backstrap-sausage get togethers :D...........Tight lines

Bryan Hoffner
11-06-2006, 05:05 AM
I used to be one of the kooks. Since the addition of extra pounds in the mid section I've had to wait for the extra inch of ice. Ain't nothing like the first ice bite though

jiggingshad11
11-06-2006, 07:40 AM
my knees tell me, when they quit shaking they know it thick enough!!

eyedoktr
11-06-2006, 09:25 AM
If I see Grizzly Gary out there, I know it's safe for me. :D

carl milks
11-06-2006, 08:13 PM
I too used to love first ice, but since time has taken it's toll, and I've become a heavywieght contender, and also got a little smarter with age, I wait for the thicker stuff. I'd rather live to fish another day!!!! Besides, after losing a good friend a few yrs ago (miss ya Russ), that was a huge wake up call.

Mighty Mike
11-08-2006, 10:21 AM
I wait for 4 or 5 in. before i go out. Big as i am 2 dont get it. Them guys are nuts that go out on thin ice. Aint no fish worth dieing over.

mike

Buck Master
11-08-2006, 09:53 PM
A guy at work loves to tell about the TWO times he's gone through!

I'll stick to the ice at the Jamestown Savings Bank Arena.

Gilligan
11-14-2006, 07:41 PM
1/4" of ice for me and I feel real safe...I'll be sitting in front of the tube watching fishing shows and feedint the woodstove!

Jason Giordano
11-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Used to be happy on 2" but anymore I like 3.5-4" to be able to enjoy myself.
Hmm.. hope noone takes that the wrong way!

Linda O
11-15-2006, 02:52 PM
I send drunkboy out in front of me and as long as he doesn't disappear we fish! How about how jitterish everyone is the first few times you go for the year, it is like getting your boat legs, no matter how thick it is, and by the end of the season the ice sheet could be waving and you are laying on your back half sleeping just enjoying the Feb. sunshine. By then every creek and split you say 'it's just making ice', true, but early on your soiling your longjons looking for the quickest way off the darn stuff. Or what about the first flag when 5-6 people start towards and the first crack, it is like a stink bomb went off, they all scatter!! Bottom line be safe. I always have a rope and a life jacket and picks, never needed either, but someday I or someone else probably will. Hey Griss you got a flag! never mind, it went back down!
Linda O

Ed Yohe
11-16-2006, 07:57 AM
Linda,
Let's be honest here. As soon as the tip-ups are in you make the poor kids run for the flags and you never leave your chair. By noon those poor kids are run ragged and you are all rested. No wonder you take different ones with us all the time, lol.

Ed Yohe

Linda O
11-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Ok there Edward, if you said US that means you must be there also to witness the scene! Besides someone needs to do the cooking! Hey didn't you really want your daughter Heather to get her hunting license this year so she could drag your deer!!
Linda O

Jim_R
11-28-2006, 03:24 PM
3 1/2" - 4" for me...don't like to take chances on risky ice with the boy going along.

Scurry
12-08-2006, 08:23 PM
So Gary & Hoff, after ice is good would you guys consider taking me & my son along & show us how it's done as I've never iced fished before but would like to give it a try?????

Grizzly Gary
12-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Scurry give me a call. Would be glad to have you and your son. Glad to teach you both how to drill holes with a hand auger! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grizzly Gary

Scurry
12-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Scurry give me a call. Would be glad to have you and your son. Glad to teach you both how to drill holes with a hand auger! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grizzly Gary

Will give you a call later on towards ice season, hand auger dont bother me cant be worse than using a post hole digger in clay & rocks & tree roots:D

Kinzua Man
12-10-2006, 10:00 PM
To fish another day I wait for 4 inches of ice.

Kinzua Man

Turkey Fan
12-15-2006, 05:26 PM
3 inches of good hard clear ice will do