PDA

View Full Version : How Not to get Your Treestand stolen

gonepostal
05-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Is there any special cables or padlocks (ect.) that works really well to lock your treestand... Any that you guys (or gals) would recommend?

I'M DESPERATE!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

treerat
05-05-2008, 03:00 PM
python lock
http://www.masterlock.com/promos/python/8413python_lock.shtml
This is what I use on my trail cam . It cinches tight on to the tree .

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
05-05-2008, 07:55 PM
i've heard of some cable locks that are supposed to be resistant to cutting and sawing, but I don't know who they are made by. I've always used tow chains with a big lock but i'm looking for something that's a little bit easier to carry into the woods, damn tow chains get heavy!!!!

BEAR
05-06-2008, 08:32 PM
I have a motorcylce cable with a HD lock. Use it when I go int backwoods and lock the bike to a tree. But it does a good job on treestands also.

It is really discusting that a fellow hunteer would steal or damage a treestand. Makes me sick to think of having such sick-o in the hunters ranks. I've had a number of stands stolen; one off my own property after I gave the a$$ permission to hunt.

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
05-06-2008, 08:35 PM
That's low!!!! He stole your stand after you gave him permission to hunt your land??? I would hunt him down until I breathed my last breath!!! :evil:

coalbedbuck
05-07-2008, 03:03 PM
I take the ladder down from my hangons if I wont be in the area for a bit.

Tucker Time
05-07-2008, 07:34 PM
I use my climber in high risk areas.

ratherbhuntin
05-07-2008, 08:56 PM
That's low!!!! He stole your stand after you gave him permission to hunt your land??? I would hunt him down until I breathed my last breath!!! :evil:

their was a mix up this year with my buddies treestand, some traps, and my trail camera. not to get into details but the landowner whom i had permission to hunt on took my camera and wouldn't give it back so i called the game commission and they told me that since it was on his land their was nothing they could do if i wanted it back i would have to take it to court as a civil matter.

BEAR
05-08-2008, 11:01 AM
JJ this was a prime piece of property. I would be in my stand at dawn when I would see his flashlight come in.

I went to my location one evening (sort of hurrying), I almost lost my mind...being sure I was at the right tree. Only saw my safety belt hanging 16 foot up. I carefully tracked him a quarter mile to where he had usually parked his grey Ford ranger pickup truck. A small part of my stand fell off, so I know I had the right trail. But he was staggering carrying both his stand and mine and his back pack and bow. He lost the expensive part of his stand (I have it hanging in my barn now).
He never came back just stole and ran. Funny think is this place was a sure kill area in Allegheny county were I can easily kill 6-10 does and a good buck every year. anyone would have given anything to hunt there. So for a lousy $150 stand he lost his hunting rights. Wish I had his plate number....he would never draw a bow again.

Really disallusioned me on "the average bow hunter". And I post every piece of my property there after, and give no one but friends access.

Sorry just got mad all over again.

phlstr119
05-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Bear I feel your pain. I would love to see a GPS Locater Chip System that was affordable for Tree Stands. I'd Buy a couple and put in my stnads just to get these guys. I had another attempt on my stuff this year. I am at the point that my next and last tree stand will be another climber and I do believe at this time climbers are the only way to know your stand will be there when you get back. These Thieves make me mad as heck!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Grizzly Gary
05-23-2008, 06:59 PM
I double chain & padlock the top of the ladder stands I place. Then I chain & padlock each section of that 15 ft. stand. I figure scumbags don't want to exert all that work to get the thing.

That's why they are scumbags...cause they are lazy!

I would buy a locator chip for stands if they were available.

05-26-2008, 11:06 PM
One of those battery electric fencers would curtail any theft too! :lol: