PDA

View Full Version : Fall walleyes

GRIZZ
11-06-2006, 04:22 AM
I've been fishing Chautauqua for about 35 yrs. Here is an example of this years fall walleyes. They range from 23-28 inches. The 28 incher was about 9 lbs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/Firstfall06Chautauquawalleyes.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/Feet-n-Fish.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/Walleyes-11-05-06.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/11-05-06.jpg

Had a banner night tonight. 40 degrees, clear sky, full moon, lake was like glass. Stopped by the lake at dusk and took 5 casts and caught the middle fish in the pic below and left it on a stringer at the lake. I came back at midnight and caught 3 between 12 midnight and 1 am. Between 1 and 2:30 am I caught a walleye or got a hit on almost every cast then it slowed down till I left at about 3:15 am. All together I got 15-16 fish at every lenth between 23-28 inches. The 3 largest including the one I caught at dusk are in the pic. The 28 incher weighed 9.5 lb on my little cheap hand scale. Thats the one closest to my pole in the pic. I need to test that scale to see how accurate it is because most 28's I get are in the 8lb range. The middle one was just under 27 inches weighed at 8.5 and the smallest one was a bit over 26 inches and was between 7-8lbs. I live for nights like that in the fall. These fish are so thick, especially that football in the middle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/Walleyes-11-06-06.jpg

Grizzly Gary
11-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Welcome aboard Grizz!! Beautiful fish & great job! Thanks for the pics and the report. Getting lots of good reports from Chautauqua.

Grizzly Gary

treestandtimmy
11-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Welcome aboard Grizz, great Chautauqua lake eyes

carl milks
11-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Good job Grizz!!!! Mighty fine looking fish!!!

Gilligan
11-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Nice job...AND it is awesome to hear of someone called GRIZZ that can actually catch walleye, the other one here dosen't.

I am headed over there Saturday, may be the last trip for the season.

mickeypa
11-08-2006, 06:03 PM
I have been getting smaller walleyes in fairley deep waters. Were these fish caught near shore at night?
M PA

GRIZZ
11-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Yes, most of my fall walleye fishing is shallow from shore. I caught fish every night from wednesday last week till tuesday this week. I went out for an hour wed night and didn't get anything. The warm weather is gonna turn them off for a bit I think.

Most of my really excellent fall fishing doesn't take place from boats. The lake is very quiet and i think boats spook them more than they do in summer.

Nice job...AND it is awesome to hear of someone called GRIZZ that can actually catch walleye, the other one here dosen't.

I am headed over there Saturday, may be the last trip for the season.

70% chance of rain with a low temp of 30 Sat which isn't really a bad thing. With the warm weather we are having it may turn them back on. I'd fish saturday night if I were you.

GRIZZ
11-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Caught a 29 incher tonight. Longest of the season, and it was 8 lbs. Got a couple more, and one of the others was 27.5 inches. Didn't have my camera with me. I was shore fishing at dusk at Allegheny reservoir. Got a monster hit earlier. Could have been a muskie or northern, but it felt like a walleye hit. I'll probably spend some time there during the next couple weeks.

GRIZZ
11-21-2006, 01:18 AM
Caught a nice one tonight - 30 inches - 10 lbs. Biggest this year so far.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/30inch-11-21-06-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/30inch-11-21-06.jpg

OTTER119
12-01-2006, 08:06 PM
BIG fall waleyes :shock: ... Nice fish!

This is almost a week ago, but I'll type it anyways.
I got one fishing from shore, 27.5", 7.5 lbs the Sunday evening before PA deer season. I let it go to lay eggs and get bigger :D out of Kinzua too. Got it on a live shiner not rapala like yours. I also caught a 13" walleye in the same spot. Was out the Friday afternoon and Sat. mornings before in the boat, and got my eaters, but no big ones. (lots of white bass too)

Grizzly Gary
12-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Grizz, that is one nice hawg eye!!! Thanks for posting the reports and the pics!

Otter119, also sounds like you are knocking them down at the Kinzua Tailrace!

The way my hunting season is going it sounds like I should be fishing with you guys!!!

Seems i'm always in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Grizzly Gary

carl milks
12-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Gary- next you'll be "Wrong Way"- watch out!!!!

Grizzly Gary
12-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Hope to get out next week after the last days of the rifle season. Really want to get to the tailrace.

Grizzly Gary

GRIZZ
12-05-2006, 03:22 AM
Buddy of mine who I've known since I was 5 and is 70 yrs old asked me to come over tonight to watch a really excellent vid about a guy who moved to Alaska. We watched the vid and Dennie and I yacked till 11 pm. We walked outside and it was snowin with a full moon out and it was 15 degrees. I said what the heck I'm goin fishin - walleyes almost always bite on nights like this.

They were. I walked down to the water and heard snap snap. The sound of walleyes snappin bait off the surface. I started nailen them as soon as I got there. Called my regular walleye fishin buddy and he said he'd be there in 10 mins. I already had 4 walleye on the ground, so I called Dennie and told him to come down and pick up his limit of walleyes. John showed up and I had 6 walleyes layin in the snow. He cast once and got a hit and missed it, cast again and a muskie relieved him of his thunderstick. He cussed and grumbled and went to go tie another one on and Dennie showed up. By this time it was snowin with a purpose and he grabbed 3 walleye that filled up his 5 gallon bucket with 3 tails stickin 6 inches out of them. We laughed and he called me nuts for fishin in this foul weather and jumped in his car and went home.

We fished till 3 am, it snowed 4 inches on our heads and caught a bunch more. We had one more interesting thing happen. This time of year the fish often follow the lure all the way in and snap it just as we pull it out of the water. I just pulled my lure out and a walleye just misses it and then the water in front of me just blows up. A huge muskie actually hit that walleye. That was about about a 23-25 inch walleye and I have had many muskies follow up and look me in the eye just as I pull my lure out, but never have I had this happen before. That muskie must have been a monster. I'd guestimate 55" or larger. Scared the daylights out of me. We have caught several large walleyes over the years that had obviously been hit by large muskies, just the first time I saw it happen, and right under my nose.

My toes are finally thawed out. I'll be back out there tomorrow night and its supposed to be colder. Can't wait. :D Sorry no pics tonight. Too cold for my digital camera

treestandtimmy
12-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Grizz,
I'm usually a may-june walleye fisherman, but I thought the limit was only 3 eye's per day. You said that you had six laying in the snow??? Am I missing something :?:

firemedic3314
12-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Chautauqua Lake and its tributaries and the Chadakoin River to Warner Dam

walleye

1st Sat. in May - Mar 15

18" minimum

3 fish per day

That is directly from the DEC website.

Now...iffen ya start fishing before midnight and catch 3...then after midnight ya catch 3 more.....technically yer still legal.

Mighty Mike
12-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Never came to my mind when looking at the pictures. Does sound like you are keeping more fish than you should. Sounds like you gave some away then kept fishing to. Hope we are all just reading this wrong.

mike

hunterdeneugene
12-06-2006, 12:21 PM
any fish killed becomes part of ones bag limit....thus if they are given away they still count as a part of a bag limit. Even if one takes 3 home and comes back in an hour those are still counted and thus any fish taken is in excess of the bag limit if in the same day. 3 killed in a day is a limit whether kept, given away or likewise. Good luck trying to convince a Encon Officer that half were taken before midnight and half after. I think there is also a possession limit also in addition to a bag limit but couldn't seem to find it.

eyedoktr
12-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Seeing as how it is illegal to cull walleye in NY, I believe that once you have kept a daily limit, you are required to cease fishing for that species.

You should consider yourself fortunate that a DEC officer did not check you. Even if you caught 3 before midnite and 3 after, an officer does not know that and you probably have no way to prove it.

Hopefully, if you ever do this again, you will be caught and ticketed. We don't need poachers in NY or any other state.

GRIZZ
12-06-2006, 02:29 PM
any fish killed becomes part of ones bag limit....thus if they are given away they still count as a part of a bag limit. Even if one takes 3 home and comes back in an hour those are still counted and thus any fish taken is in excess of the bag limit if in the same day. 3 killed in a day is a limit whether kept, given away or likewise. Good luck trying to convince a Encon Officer that half were taken before midnight and half after. I think there is also a possession limit also in addition to a bag limit but couldn't seem to find it.

He is right. You can take 3 before midnight and 3 after, but then you have 2 days limits and you cannot "POSSES" another 3 till after midnight the second day. You are allowed 2 days limits in possesion, but that isnt the case in those pictures because the guy holding the camera is the possesor of the other limit there in the snow.

I'm a stickler for the rules guys. As a matter of fact I rarely keep any of the fish I catch. I would say 95% of the time I catch and release unless I know someone who needs the fish, then I give them away. I put fillets from about 10 or so big walleyes in my freezer every fall. I catch hundreds per year. The rest I release or give to others.

I'm also a stickler for accurately reporting what I catch. I'm not one of those guys that looks humerously on all the fish stories or those telling them, and I rarely believe stories that smell like exaggeration, and usually say so. I have been an addicted fisherman since I was about 5 yrs old. With the years of hard fishing behind me I have a pretty good idea of what is possible to catch and what isn't. To me when someone exaggerates thier catch in size or numbers its not a colorful fisherman, its just a plain liar.

Below are all the published regulations for catch and release and posession. I have followed these rules to the t.

--------

CATCH AND RELEASE means catching
and immediately releasing the caught
fish without harm. Measuring, weighing
and photographing of the fish are
permitted as long as the fish is not
removed from the water for an extended
period or handled in a manner that
could cause it harm. Fish may not be
placed in a bucket, tub, livewell, on a
string or any other “holding device.”

-------

TAKING AND POSSESSION
• A person may not fish for a species (not even catch and release) during the
closed season for that species on a given water.
• A person may not have in possession, or intentionally kill or injure fish other
than the sizes specified and allowed for that species on a given water.
• A person may not possess, kill or unnecessarily injure fish in excess of the
daily limit for that species.
• The fish an angler catches and immediately releases uninjured will not be
counted as part of the daily limit for that species.
• A person may continue to fish for a species while in possession of a daily
limit for that species provided all fish of that species subsequently caught
are immediately returned to the water. Special provisions are made for
largemouth and smallmouth bass.
• A single, uninjured largemouth bass or smallmouth bass that an angler is
landing, measuring or in the process of releasing from a recirculating or
aerated livewell, is not considered to be part of the daily limit.
TRANSPORTATION
Transportation of fish as designated below is permitted except while fishing in
New York waters.
Fish caught in New York State:
• No more than two day’s legal take of non-salable fish may be transported
unless a permit is obtained from a DEC Regional Office, or the fish are
frozen, processed and packaged for storage.
• Salable fish may be transported in any number.
Fish caught elsewhere may be transported into New York in any manner,
except parcel post, in the number that may be legally exported from the place
of taking, subject to the following:
• Fish that are salable in New York may be brought in any time.
• Fish that are non-salable in New York may be brought in any time.
However during their closed season (refer to STATEWIDE ANGLING REGULATIONS)
a $1.00 importation license must be obtained from the Division
of Law Enforcement at a DEC Regional Office.
Non-salable fish transported by carrier:

------

CHAUTAUQUA LAKE AND ITS
TRIBUTARIES AND THE
CHADAKOIN RIVER TO
WARNER DAM

WALLEYE 1ST SAT. MAY -
MARCH 15
ICE FISHING
PERMITTED 18” LIMIT 3
WALLEYE 1STSATIN MAY
- MAR 15 18” 3

GRIZZ
12-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Seeing as how it is illegal to cull walleye in NY, I believe that once you have kept a daily limit, you are required to cease fishing for that species.

You should consider yourself fortunate that a DEC officer did not check you. Even if you caught 3 before midnite and 3 after, an officer does not know that and you probably have no way to prove it.

Hopefully, if you ever do this again, you will be caught and ticketed. We don't need poachers in NY or any other state.

I don't mind honest criticism stemming from a misunderstanding, but I don't appreciate random uninformed flaming. If you want to criticise then do it with accurate information.

"Culling Refers to releasing a smaller fish when you have a limit and have now caught a larger fish that will weed out one of the smaller ones."

There are no regulations published restricting "culling", though where you get the idea that I am doing that is a mystery to me.

"• No more than two day’s legal take of non-salable fish may be transported
unless a permit is obtained from a DEC Regional Office, or the fish are
frozen, processed and packaged for storage."

Get your facts straight. Calling me a poacher is serious. I'm a legal, careful and dedicated angler. I teach fishing to kids and adults on a regualr basis and take pride in the fact that I tell the truth about what I catch and how I fish. I'll leave it there, but I suggest you take a little more care in the future before you accuse someone of breaking the law.

eyedoktr
12-06-2006, 03:52 PM
I was informed by the DEC that due to the fact that culling is illegal (except for bass) that once you had a limit, you could not continue fishing for that species. We were informed of this at a rules meeting before a walleye tournament. This is also to prevent two anglers from fishing and one filling both limits.

If that in fact is incorrect, then I do apologize.

GRIZZ
12-06-2006, 04:13 PM
If its a law and it isn't published in the regulations, how do they expect people to follow it.

Grizzly Gary
12-06-2006, 05:35 PM
This looks to me like a classic case of web-site misunderstanding. I must admit that once I saw Treestandtimmys post I looked and wondered myself.

I am glad that Grizz explained. What he says makes perfect sense to me. Somebody obviously took the pic and there are only six fish in the pic. That's 3 a piece. Legal.

Grizz, I am sure that no one here meant any harm to you personally. We have some very serious by the book anglers and hunters here. I am proud of them and I stand by their opinions. I believe you are also one of them.

Now that we have cleared this up, let's see some more pics of those hawg eyes you been gettin!

Also nice that you named yourself after me! :lol:

Grizzly Gary

GRIZZ
12-06-2006, 07:37 PM
I must admit that some of the above posts riled me a bit, but I realize you guys don't know me, and most of you were nice about the points you were making. I hope I answered them to your satisfaction.

Gary, I've been GRIZZ since I started using computers 12 yrs ago, and got called that quite a few times when people rubbed me the wrong way several times before that, but I'm mainly a fuzzy lovable GRIZZ not the kind that eats people that wonder into his cave. I'm still a bear though, keep an eye open.

You can keep using the name for a small fee. :D

GRIZZ
12-07-2006, 03:55 AM
Had an interesting night. Fished from midnight till 3 am. Landed 7 walleyes and had a 45 inch muskie in my net. 2 of the walleyes were between 9 and 10 lbs. The one pictured was only 27 inches. One of the fattest 27 inchers Ive ever caught. Just a bit under 10 lbs. First 27 I can recall weighing that much. Picture below. Take a look and campare the thickness of that fish from head to tail to the other big ones I have pictured. I didn't get a picture of the muskie. The muskie hit and I just thought it was a nice heavy walleye till it got close and I saw it. They often fight that way when its this cold. I've landed a bunch of 40 inch muskie with this net, but anything over 40 inches I have trouble with when I'm fishing alone. I got him in the net once and tried to pull him up, but he kicked and flopped out. I got him in it again, but he kicked again and this time left the lure in the net. What do you think guys, can I call a fish I netted twice a caught fish?

It was quite nice out till about 3 am. Barely a breeze and just above freezing. Quite bright with the full moon even through all the clouds. We are getting a lake effect snow storm thats supposed to drop 2 inches an hour for most of thursday, and it started comong down the lake just before I left. First the bridge 5 miles away vanished in the snow , then all the lights across the lake, and when the light started to vanish on my side of the lake I decided to call it quits. Great night.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Birdsongrm/pig12-7-06.jpg

Grizzly Gary
12-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the report Grizz. You clearly are a man of thick skin! Both temperature & web-site wise. Thanks for the pics!

As to the name thing? My lawyer will be contacting your lawyer. I am hoping we can sue each other for millions and some how we can both end up rich!

Grizzly Gary

Mighty Mike
12-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Only one Grizzly Gary in my book. To bad he cant catch fish like this Grizz does. he he he !

mike

GRIZZ
12-08-2006, 10:36 PM
OOHH Zinger!! Good thing my name isn't gary or Grizzly. I don't forsee a problem, but I don't think the legal system works like that. The lawyers get rich we get poorer than we already are, and that'd be dang poor in my case.

Yes, I have a thick skin. I've been wrestling with internet and real life knuckleheads (no offense intended you guys who maligned me - well maybe a little :o ) for a very long time. Ya just gotta be carefull because thick skin, teeth and claws usually usually come in the same package. :twisted: :D

I'll keep fishin and braggin as long as you guys wanna see em.

Gilligan
12-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Mighty Mike would be Mighty rich if the Grizz he fishes torneys with ever caught walleye like that. :twisted:

Curious...do you do any good nite/shore fishing in the spring?

GRIZZ
12-12-2006, 07:04 PM
I mainly crappie fish in the spring, but when I have fished walleye in the spring I have caught similar fish. Not during summer as much though.

-------------

I've had some inquiries about where I'm getting them and I though my answer might be helpfull to some of you that might want to get some fish like I am.

There are several spots whre I'm catching those fish, but if I told people where they were they wouldn't be my spots anymore. I've spent 10 yrs fine tuning my fall walleye fishing techiques, and locations. I'm typically willing to share info with people once i get to know them and they show that they will be responsible with the information about locations, but there isn't any big mystery. Frankly, there are walleyes all over the lake like this n the fall, and several places I think that will be just as good that I never get to because my spots are producing.

More important than location is timing. I'm sure I go out 3 or 4 times and get 1 or 2 and 1 time I have a slammer. Almost all decent locations on the lake have nice walleyes in them this time of year and if you take a spotlight with you and shine in the water you'll see lots of eyes down there. The trick is finding the right time, lure. speed. method, and weather. I know lots of guys that fish in the same places i do and give up because they don;t get anmything and then I'll go there and clean up because I'm doing something a little different or using a better lure in the proper way or I'm just there when they turn on and they werent.

If I remember everything I've posted, several of my methods and lures that produce in the fall are there. I'll look them over and check, but I'm pretty sure if you read the posts there are ideas there that will help you get fish like mine.

Long point is a good spot, but I have never really nailed them there in the fall. Mainly 1 or 2 when I fish there, but one really good area is that whole arc from there to the ferry. There are lots of good spot and lots of fish in those spots there. If you wade or boatyou can pretty much get to the whole area. I think that if you fished there regularly though you'd figure out when they hit there, and I'm sure they do. Its also a good place for crappies and muskie right now, once again if the timing is right.

I know I'm being a bit vague, but I can't give out several of my spots because they are private propery spots I have cultivated over the years. People can come with me there, but not without me, but really it doesn't matter. There really are fish like that all over the place.

Here are some hints.

1. Use storm floating 3 hook storm thundersticks. Perch or firetiger. I catch 95% of my fish on them and can fish spots and chatch with other lures and switch to them and slam. They are perfect for this time of year and the condition on this lake.

2. Fish SLOW and steady. Almost wake the lures. Retrieve just fast enough to get a little wobble. Walleyes often follow a lure for some time this time of year and then hit real close to the end of the retrieve. I've even had fish chase lure into the air after I pulled the lure out of the water. Change your speeds. They often only hit one speed. Some times stop the lure and let it float about 10 feet out. They will hit the lure on the surface sitting still.

3. Fish late. The best time I fish are typicall between 9pm and 3 am, with the better times being after midnight.

4. Look for action on the water. Feeding walleye can be seen and heard.

5. Be quiet. They are spooky this time of year.

6. Try a little every night. Usually when they are hitting in one spot they are hitting all over the lake and when one spot is dead typically its dead everywhere. Fish one area you know has fish for a while before you quit. I often fish for an hour before they turn on and then get 5-10 in the next hour, and then they shut off again.

7. Fish in the dog nastiest weather when it comes up typically with the wind behind you. Bad weather makes walleyes HUNGRY. Wind cold snow rain sleet. I know for a fact that often when I'm slammin them I'm the only one fishing the lake because its just wretched out there, but when you look down at a 30 inch walleye on the ground it doesn't feel so bad.

Grizzly Gary
12-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Grizz, Thank you so much for sharing these tips and tactics for the Fall Walleye bite on Chautauqua Lake. It is folks such as yourself that grow the sport of fishing. Your willingness to share info is to be commended!

Please keep the tips, tactics and pics coming!

I am proud of the fact that you named yourself after me! :lol: :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again for your participation here. We all look forward to your future reports.

Grizzly Gary

GRIZZ
12-12-2006, 10:37 PM
I am proud of the fact that you named yourself after me! :lol: :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grizzly Gary

I can see we are going to go through this a few times. :shock: :)

Grizzly Gary
12-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Just funnin ya Big Dog! No disrespect intended. Thanks again for sharing here.

Grizzly Gary

Gilligan
12-13-2006, 05:17 PM
GRIZZ...
used to fish it at night in spring with fair results, just got to be to much trailering the boat 100 miles and trying to stay awake to get home without a wreck. Now that I got a camp close by was considering giving it another try. Pretty much fished Toms point and north on the west shore and around Smith Boys. Always got fish at night but never any size.

firemedic3314
12-20-2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks fer the info and tips Grizz.....I dont care what GARY says about ya...yer all right!!!

Hopefully will be able to try fer em in the next week or so...

GRIZZ
12-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Thanks Fire. I know he's just teasin. I'm a fairly active kidder myself. Me and Gary might have to meet and duke it out over the name. We can post pics of Gary getting his butt wooped - lol. Maybe a casting competition or targert shooting. I'm pretty sure I'd wump him at those too. :P

Just thought I'd let you guys in on something really cool I've discovered lately. They are called Microspoons. I have a pile of them and they are simply the most interesting and innovative lure I've found in a while, and a blast to fish. I had some perch nearly have a piranah feeding frenzy on me the other day using them. I'm gonna use em for walleye and steelhead in the streams and smallies and crappies.

Check out the site and if you buy some be sure and mention GRIZZ sent ya. He's a great guy to boot. www.microspoons.com