PDA

View Full Version : crossbows

BEAR
05-08-2008, 11:45 AM
might ruffle some feathers but.

I'm hunting turkey with my crossbow. It is an older Horton, and the fiberglass limb has started to splinter. want to finish out the season with it, but any thoughts on what is a good crossbow???

coalbedbuck
05-08-2008, 06:54 PM
There are some very expensive crossbows on the market. You get what you pay for. Good luck with the crossbow, ruffle some feathers with it in the woods!!! They should be legal.

05-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Do what you want with it but if i SAW splintering on a limb, i'd be scared to death to use it.I had an old Darton bow many years ago and had a limb come apart while i was at full draw.To this day,i remember getting whacked on the head so hard i went down and i have no idea where my arrow went.Glad i was shooting with a huge hayfield and woods behind my target.Things go wrong with any gun or bow,thats why we practice safety.I wouldn't use it but its your call.I DO hope you whack a bird with it.Still trying.Came close a few times.Use a decoy and ground blind. 8)

BEAR
05-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Mad dog, I also use 3 decoys and a ground blind. But like my deer hunting with gun or bow; I only take "the right shot". So I'm still hunting and enjoying it. Could have wacked three toms if I'd had a shotgun, but anyone can do that. I use to hunt with a 32 inch double 10 guage, to reach out and swat something. Now when I hunt turkeys I use a 20 guage.

On the Horton limb failure. I called them. New limbs and cable $135. They have a very limited warranty on limbs. Sort of surprised me because they make a good product....and now it is very expensive. I've thought of them as the leupold of crossbows, I've sold and recommend dozens of them. No real product support.

I'll finish the season with the Legend SL then bite the bullet and give them their $135. The bow will probably last me the rest of my hunting days.

The splingering isn't real bad, but I did get a fine piece of glass in my had from it at 4 am hiking into my turkey stand, so!

I've got a Browning fiber/wood limb bow that is 40+ years old, perfect; still kills deer when I do my part.

BEAR

Grizzly Gary
06-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Well Bear were you successful with that Crossbow for a bird???

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
06-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Maybe he's still pulling splinters from the limbs outta his forehead???? :shock:

AFISHN
07-26-2008, 04:43 AM
Horton xbow recall

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=123849#Post123849

IMHO,10Point is the way to go.Not cheap, but definitely the most reliable.