PDA

View Full Version : The whitetail ballet

treestandtimmy
11-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Has anyone been out the past few days? Just wondering if anyone has seen the awesome action I've been seeing in the late morning. What a thrill it is to be out there when there in the middle of their BIG SHOW!

carl milks
11-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Was out every day last week. In my area, the does are bedding all day and the bucks are REAL active walking trails from daybreak til about 0930 then nothing!!! That pattern held every single day I was on vacation to hunt them!!! Had to hunt from ground to find them. Finally got a shot Friday in the new snow. Nice 6 pointer, broadside & bedded @ 18 yds!!! Snuck right up on him. BUT- my bad luck still hanging on me, just as I got to full draw, my rubber tubing for my peep sight snapped!!!! He heard that and got up and stood there staring at me. I was bummed!!! No way to shoot- I thought about just winging it, but did'nt want to wound him, so I back off & he took off. Don't know where my big one is, hav'nt seen him, just new scrapes and rubs and his tracks, he's completley nocturnal as of Saturday. Hopefully he'll get careless this week in the short time I'll get out!

treestandtimmy
11-07-2006, 07:13 AM
Isn't that amazing that we can shoot hundred of arrows and nothing malfunctions, but the ones that really count it seems something happens more than not. It's still pretty cool that you were able to spot and stalk a good buck. I took 4 days off this week in anticipation of hitting the rut full swing, I hope it works.

Old School Dave
11-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Was out every day last week. In my area, the does are bedding all day and the bucks are REAL active walking trails from daybreak til about 0930 then nothing!!

We are experiancing just the oppisite,not seeing anything from daybreak to around 10:00-10:30am and then the show begins Only seeen 1 really nice buck,most of the action is younger bucks harassing does.

treerat
11-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Not seeing any Daylight chasing . Should really get going soon . My Buck was just out cruising yesterday . We are still seeing Does with their fawns .Usually we see the fawns wondering around by them selves when the rut kicks in .So not much action yet

FisherMOM
11-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Sunday morning, I saw 8 does in the roadway. Pretty scary to drive up on.
didnt get a picture though.

Outdoorsman
11-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Was out every day last week. In my area, the does are bedding all day and the bucks are REAL active walking trails from daybreak til about 0930 then nothing!!

We are experiancing just the oppisite,not seeing anything from daybreak to around 10:00-10:30am and then the show begins Only seeen 1 really nice buck,most of the action is younger bucks harassing does.

Were you down by me ? I have my best action between 10:00 to 2:00. Its weird. Only when they are in the rut though. After the rut the pattersn seem normal. I will say that I have taken alot of deer in the lunch time in gun season. Seems many hunters are heading out of the woods and pushing them.

Grizzly Gary
11-09-2006, 09:41 AM
I just hope they are dancing this weekend as I head out with treestandtimmy for a day of NY State archery!

Grizzly Gary

carl milks
11-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Just compared notes with some of my hunting buddies- all the same as for my experiences- seeing bucks (mostly small) chasing and looking from daybreak til about 1000 hrs-then nothing the rest of the day. Both sexes are bedding down by day and running all nite, at least in this area. Except one of my buds lives and hunts in Oil City (Pa.) and he's been seeing the same thing down there, 100 miles south of us. In previous seasons, it's been the norm to see them basically ALL day, but not this year. A couple of the guys theorize that it's the early muzzleloader and early doe season changed them. And after I think about it, that could be true, as I was seeing at least 6-8 deer an evening until all the shooting started, then I went for over a week without seeing anything. Then the rut started up and there's lots of sign, we're just not seeing any deer.

treestandtimmy
11-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Looks like the same patern that I'm seeing here. Thursday morning, saw three bucks before 10:00 then nothing the rest of the day. Caught a nice 8 cruising all by himself about 7:15, he responded well to a couple grunts and came to me on a line. He took the path to the northeast of my stand, with a south west wind(just my luck) came in to about 20 yards and was a couple steps from surely winding me, so I let one fly and to my misfortune the mystical flight of the arrow was interupted by a branch halfway home :cry: . Needless to say the arrow was a little low of it's mark after the deflection. The other two bucks came within a half an hour of each other, one had a doe and was chasing her like his life depended on it, and the other was on a mission to find his newest girlfriend. (neither were shooters though. Great morning, but to no avail, I'll try again on saturday with the Grizzled one in tow.

carl milks
11-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Well, Pa is over. Saw a spike @ 0720, grunted at him & he took off like a scalded rabbit. At 0800, a nice 4 pt came thru on the trail. Tooted at him and he was interested, but not legal so I let him go. Then NOTHING the rest of the day!!!! Never saw another deer. Looks like I'm stuck with going out with a gun now!

carl milks
11-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Just to rub salt in my wounds- I came home last nite @ 2245 hrs to find "The Big Boy" standing in my yard under an apple tree along with 4 of his girlfriends!!!! He knew when the season ended!!!

Grizzly Gary
12-22-2006, 08:02 PM
When do you think the dance will start again? What do you all recommend regarding scents & the like for the late season?

The biggest thing I love about late season Archery is the quiet in the woods. How about you?

Grizzly Gary

darcher
12-23-2006, 08:28 AM
This may be a good year to hunt the late season. Find a good food source and relax. I know one good food source is Wendys Cafe in Russell, and easy to relax there also!! :lol: Not much help am I :?: