PDA

View Full Version : Smoked trolling motor.. Lesson learned

Sluggo / NY
11-07-2006, 05:11 PM
While fishing our local river here the other day from my little 14'er, I hooked into a decent eye close to shore. With the breeze pushing me closer to shore I reached up and turned my electric motor on low/reverse to hold me out. Everything seemed fine .. I landed the fish .. stayed off shore .. then noticed smoke coming from the top of my motor. Of course I turned it off.. but it kept smoking.. and got worse. I started getting a bit nervous and decided I'd better disconnect it.. But.. I'd built a terminal block on the transom to keep things neat and needed an allen wrench to remove the wires. I even ran flexible conduit to the battery box up front where I needed wrenches as well. I normally just carry a small tackle bag down there and a pair of needle nose pliers. They don't cut wires! By the time I finally found a pair of scissors in the bottom of the bag and cut the wires.. the top of the motor was melted and the wires to it were bare and hot! Oh.. the motor is/was bolted to the rear corner.. also requiring wrenches! I guess the moral if this story is to Be Prepared! I mounted a small extinguisher in the boat and have a few tools in it now. I mean.. geeze.. it's just a little 14'er with a 15 horse Merc. that I use on a little river! Well.. this is proof that S### happens! Be safe out there.. that water's getting cold! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Gilligan
11-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Slugggo...you could have dumped a couple beers on it and cooled it down. :laughing3:

Shellback
11-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Hey Chris, On my Jon boat that you saw me in on the river Sunday, I have battery connectors from NAPA. Ever see the big ones they use on forklifts and such? Well these are a smaller version. Irun one trolling and starting battery in the boat, And have cables going forward to the front trolling motor with the quick connector there, and another set of cables to the back with a quick connector there also. My Yamaha 9.9 electric start has the quick connector plus a transom mount electric motor has the quick connector. So I can use the Yamaha on the back or the electric. You solder the cables right into the quick disconnects and they give good solid connection between battery and motor.

Sluggo / NY
11-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Ron.. I know the connectors you're talking about and that's a good idea, but I've got a 50 amp. marine breaker that I'm mounting next to the terminal block that feed everything and the new motor is fused as well.

Gilligan.. Pour beer on it? Are you serious? The stupid thing was already toast! Why would I waste a beer on it. Even if the boat went down.. the beer cooler would still float and could be saved!
Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

RED DOG
12-08-2006, 11:33 AM
a cheap tool set is paid for if it saves you just one time.
I agree why waste good beer on it. Thats what the wife's wine coolers are for.