PDA

View Full Version : Any close calls while ice fishing?

Tone
11-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Just wonder how many people have had a similar experience as me. One day while ice fishing near K C bridge I went through. The ice was plenty safe (or so I thought) as it was about a foot thick. Well while making several trips to the truck and back it seems as though I was walking over gas well which had crusted over and about the third time I walked across it it gave way. Straight down I went. Seemed to all happen in slow motion. Never went totally under as I think my one piece suit had enough air in it to act as a bouy. I kind of went down and bobbed right back up again and then crawling out. What a feeling...heart stopping to say the least. Needless to say that day came to an abrupt end.

Bryan Hoffner
11-08-2006, 08:04 AM
been there done that. It really sucks when it does happen. been years for me. Been in up to my neck 1 time, the waste i time and numerous putting the leg through air pockets and the such on thinner ice. Some of it wasn't that thin of ice either.

Grizzly Gary
11-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Never have I gone thru the ice. Thank goodness! This chubby little body might have a heck of a time getting out! :lol:

I always carry the two small blocks of wood with the screws in them around my neck hust in case.

I have heard the stories of the water being 5 ft. below the ice on Kinzua but have never seen it myself. Has anybody here seen this with their own eyes?

Grizzly Gary

Tone
11-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Personally I don't believe this can happen unless it was around some shoreline structure. I don't believe the ice could support itself in the air like that and must always remain floating on top of the water....But just my opinion here. I've never seen it either and don't think I ever will.....tight lines

Grizzly Gary
11-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Yes I have seen the ice collapsed on the shore line at Kinzua. Pain in the butt to climb over it if the water level has dropped and those big chunks are there. IF I ever drilled a hole and there wasn't any water there you can bet your azz i'd be gone in a flash!!!

Grizzly Gary

carl milks
11-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Tone is right. The only way there can be a signifigant space between water and ice is if a stump, rock or other object holds it up. The ice follows the water level down (or up). It does cause a problem when they drop the level down, the ice follows and breaks at an angle along the shores-treacherous/steep angled ice has caused more than one booboo out there. As for skinny dipping in the frozen pond- yes-twice. First was at Casey Bridge area with at least a foot of ice. My partner & I were walking side by side and lucky me, fell thru up to my armpits. After needing help to beach the whale, we scuffed the snow off around where I fell in and found where someone had cut a hole about 2 ft square, evidently with a chain saw and it had healed up enough to cover with snow and be completely hidden. When my litewieght delicate bod stepped on it-splash! The other was with my 3 wheeler (back when they did'nt care about us using them) at Sugar Bay. I was towing gear and a buddy on a toboggan when we went thru in chest deep water on a -20 morning in the dark. It was so cold it felt hot. Took a lot of work and time to get out and pack up to get the h*** out of there! Scares the ever livin S*** out of ya!!!!

Mighty Mike
11-11-2006, 09:48 AM
I have seen the water go up where i was just able to get off the ice. big guys like me dont jump real good no what i mean. I think if i stayed another hour on the ice that day i would have been stuck out there.

mike

RED DOG
12-07-2006, 01:23 PM
I am not a fun of the ice. Mostly do to the stories I have heard

The Clairvoyant
12-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Yes, one time i fell through, but fortunately for me, I was fishing with Michael moore, whom I find to be one of the smartest human beings alive. He quickly pulled me out of the water and signed my copy of "Dude, Where's My Country" and my copy of "Fahrenheit 9/11"

Michael Moore is a true American hero. I don't care what the rest of you say.

carl milks
12-22-2006, 07:12 AM
What?

Old School Dave
12-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Been known to put on waders to get to the ice when it was all melted 25 yds from shore. Get up on the ice,put on my warm boots and go fishing.
:shock:

That was many many moons ago.

Will_S
12-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Gotta have a good 4+ inches of ice before I get out there. I'll go to Wholey's in the strip district and get a fresh walleye sandwich instead if risking going through!

treestandtimmy
12-30-2006, 11:08 AM
I've been out on long point before after a thaw, then snow then rain then ice again, and fell through the first layer. only about 6" between the layers, but still scary.

rapman
12-31-2006, 06:18 PM
went through at pymatuning ten years ago. luckily, it was near shore (should have known the ice was weakest there) and the water was only four feet deep. have only been on the ice once since.

eyedoktr
12-31-2006, 06:46 PM
The closest call II've ever had icefishing was one time I hooked about a 4# largemouth. Thankfullly I got it to the hole and let it flop around long enough to get off. Thankfully I never had to touch it. :evil: :evil:

Bait Babe
01-26-2007, 09:47 AM
oh goodness, I was scared of the ice before I read these stories... now i'm petrified

thx.

hunterdeneugene
01-26-2007, 12:38 PM
stick to steelhead fishing..........I have pretty much quit ice fishing in favor of a trip to my favorite steelhead trib.