PDA

View Full Version : JIGGING KINZUA ICE

Grizzly Gary
11-12-2006, 08:12 PM
As we all know the bulk of ice anglers on Kinzua use tip-ups. The # 1 bait for those tip-ups is Emerald Shiners. Now due to the VHS ban it looks like no Emeralds for the Zoo. We may have to all start jigging for them eyes!

So lets share some ideas,tips & tactics for ice jigging eyes on Kinzua. What's it gonna be? Blade baits? Nils Masters? Rapalas?

Or are we all gonna stay with the tip-ups and go to Golden Shiners & suckers? I don't know about you but I have never had much luck with the Golden Shiners. Done well with suckers in shallow water for Pike though.

What do ya think boys & girls?

Grizzly Gary

Ed Yohe
11-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Gary,
Creek bait works as good as anything else on the ice as far as minnows go. As far as jigging, I have had luck with Silver buddies and jiggin raps.

Ed Yohe

carl milks
11-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Ditto Ed. I've always had good luck on creek bait. I love the jig Rap, and also Hopkins spoons.

carl milks
11-15-2006, 06:31 PM
By the way Ed, did you get a chance to read that book I loaned ya? I bet if you started it, you can't put it down!!!

Ed Yohe
11-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Carl,
Yes I did, It was very good reading.I was hoping to see ya at the corydon to get it back to you, I will just drop it off at your house. Thanks for the loan of the book.

Ed Yohe

Linda O
11-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Hey Carl, two things, does the book you loaned Ed have a lot of pictures, and does it say the same thing when you read it backwards as forwards?
Linda O

carl milks
11-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi Linda. Of course it has lots of pics- otherwise I could'nt have read it! And you KNOW it's gotta be read backwards, is there any other way? LOL

Ed Yohe
11-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Hey Linda,
I hope you know I resemble that remark!! By the way Carl, ask Linda how she chums for walleye, lol. very interesting technique!
Ed Yohe

carl milks
11-26-2006, 10:56 AM
OK- let's hear it Linda!!!! We all wanna hear about your chumming technique! I knew you HAD to have SOMETHING we could raz you for- LET'S HEAR IT!!!!! Thanx Ed for tipping us off, and maybe if she won't tell us, you could fill us in, then it really could get interesting!

Mighty Mike
12-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Be interesting to see how evrybody approches this winters ice on the Zoo with no shiners. I think the Nils Masters and Rapalas would work there to. Guess we will find out for sure soon.

mike

Bryan Hoffner
12-14-2006, 02:15 PM
it'll be interesting alright. I should be able to still catch bait when needed but that depends if everyone else fails to find where I'll be trapping

Ed Yohe
12-14-2006, 02:25 PM
I have no problems finding bait, just need a better way to store it, I can see I will have to make a good storage place this year with no emeralds, I won't use goldens, and never had any luck on the zoo with fat heads. Might have to try some of Gary's Banjo minnows, lol.

Ed Yohe

Action
12-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Everything above works good here in Ohio, the blades and jigging rapalas seem to work best and the tiny foo jigs with a maggot or sometimes a small minnow can kill em at times. Small creek minnows are always a good bet too. Location and depth is usually all that matters in any case.

Swanny
12-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Sweedish pimples, jigging rapalas, nils masters, hopkins etc... they have all produced on kinzua over the years. Now with the emerald shiner ban I think the days of sitting on the bucket waiting for a flag are over for me. I have always had better luck with emeralds over creek bait on tip ups. If and when we do get ice I am planning on being more mobile using the vexilar and jigging with one of the above mentioned jigging ice lures.

GRIZZ
12-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Okie Noodling through the ice!! I'll be interested to see if any of us yankees besides me knows what that is.

Ed Yohe
12-19-2006, 10:22 AM
I heard a rumor this weekend that the fish commission is supposedly having a meeting in the next two weeks to discuss the emerald shiner fiasco, anyone else hear anything to that affect?

Ed Yohe

Grizzly Gary
12-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Haven't heard a word. Sure would be interested to be there. This whole thing is bunged up.

Grizzly Gary

Jim_R
12-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Can't say how they would be for the walleyes, but for the pike, use whole smelt. They worked great last winter thru the ice. Have used dressed smelt (from your grocer's freezer section), but they don't work quite as well.