PDA

View Full Version : ......................

we3jeepers
08-03-2008, 02:23 AM

coalbedbuck
08-03-2008, 09:06 AM
I have always shot the same weight broadhead as field point, and I always practice with broadhead, and from an elevated position to simulate shooting from a treestand.

As far as Muzzy's, theres nothing wrong with them they are a good killing tool. If I was going to shoot a fixed blade head it would be a Shuttle T or a Montec G5.....Cnaces are I'd choose the G5
I had been shooting the Grim Reaper Mechanicals and had no trouble with them opening but I had broke a blade on a 6pt in NY, but all the 4 deer I shot with them went down within 70 or 80 yards. The 8pt I shot last season was with a Rage 2 blade and wow what a blood trail!!!!!!!! The head brobe 3 ribs and was lodged in the front leg on the exit side bent the tip slightly. I would bet that Ray Charles coulda followed that blood trail. Rage 2 blade kicks azz!!!!

woodlandtrophies
08-03-2008, 07:20 PM
I shoot a 65 grain field tip, but for broadheads I shoot an 85 grain. I tried out Montec G5s last year & love them!

treerat
08-04-2008, 08:46 AM
100gr for both . I shoot Slick Tricks they are 4 bladed . If your bow setup is good you should be able to use any type of broad head and hit the same as field tips .

firemedic3314
08-04-2008, 08:52 AM
I use 85 gr field tips....then switch to 85 gr Thunderheads.......never ever had a problem with em.......

Bwanna Jim
08-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I like the G5's and also shoot Muzzy's. I like to tinker with everything to find out what works best.Have done lots of testing!
Today's heads are Soooo much better than what I started out with 35yrs.ago :shock: They will all work as one thing stays constant!

SHOT PLACEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!

Tune your bow for the broadheads your going to hunt with and get out and PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE! Then PRACTICE some more!! Don't care what your using if you don't hit them in the right spot it won't work! Know where the vitals are!

If they can't breath they can't go very far.Double lung pass threws will put most down in sight.Heart shots are OK but they can run along way on a heart shot.Pop both lungs and then all you need to do is take pictures and drag them out. :D

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
08-04-2008, 07:38 PM
People put too much thought into broad head selection, if the Muzzy's work for you then stick with them, I love em. Don't forget Indians used to kill with stone arrowheads and i'm pretty sure they weren't high tech mechanical arrowheads with silly names like Wasp or Montec G5. They just practiced and learned how to kill with what they had. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!

coalbedbuck
08-04-2008, 08:32 PM
met a fellow at a camp last fall, who shot a six point with a homemade recurve, handmade wooden arrow and hand mabe brass broadhead. The day after I shot my 8pt with a brand new Hoyt all tricked out. Talk about humbled....... Thats about the greatest accomplishment I feel a bowhunter could achieve...

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Now that would be cool as heck, and really give you something to be proud of!!!! :wink:

Grizzly Gary
08-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Now that is what I call going natural coalbedbuck!

I shoot 100 grain for both. My broadheads are Thunderheads. They work well for me.

BEAR
08-06-2008, 09:33 PM
You should shoot a braodhead that shoots to the same point as your target. Umless you are a target shooter then. Forget the broadhead and shoot the target tip that is "most honest" to your bow.

If you are a hunter, you will probably find as your shooting improves that no target point will shoot like your broad head. The aerodynamics are just too different. I'd suggest you shoot mechanicals. the broad head and the target points behave very similiar, not perfect but PDC.

I've killed dozens of deer, whitetail, mulies, antelope, and varmints with mechanicals. yes they are expensive but you can buy rebuild kits. I figure one point one deer is not an lot of$$$ for the sport. I shoot satelites.

Neil Peart
08-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Same weight field points. Thunder heads, crimson talon, muzzy (are all good brands) no mechanical broadheads

treerat
08-08-2008, 12:51 PM

If you are a hunter, you will probably find as your shooting improves that no target point will shoot like your broad head. The aerodynamics are just too different. I'd suggest you shoot mechanicals. the broad head and the target points behave very similiar, not perfect but PDC.

With a little tuning to your rest and or nock point you can get fixed blades to hit the same as field points . Nothing against Mechanicles but dont use them just because you cant get a fixed blade to fly . A fine tuned bow will out perform a un tuned one . Shoot what you want but keep them sharp

tunadawg
08-09-2008, 07:06 AM
100 grain field tip and 100 grain 3 blade Muzzy. No adjustments needed when switching from one to the other.

turkeylad
08-11-2008, 09:38 AM
The best broad heads i've seen fly are the shuttle t lok they fly like a rocket and fly the same as a field tip on many bows. they are extremely durable. my dad drilled a buck in the should, we pulled the tip out and there wasnt a nick on it and it was still sharp as can be, the only problem is that they are expensive. another good broadhead is the crossfire from nap, they fly straight and true, killed my first deer with them :lol:, work especially good with quickspin vanes

BEAR
08-11-2008, 11:29 AM
I think the mechanicals are less prone to "sail" with windy days. Have you ever seen you arrow just move when it is 30+ foot away. Wind can effect the fletchings, but they are on the back. Broad head sailing is on the from of the arrow and the arrow can never recover it's original trajectory.

Broadheads also have more frontal wind drag than target points.

There is no reason to have your target points hit the same POI as your boroad heads, IF YOU PRACTICE a lot with your broadheads. Using mechanical heads lets you shoot into butts with target heads often, and then requires little extra practice with broadheads.
Nothing wrong with the fixed broadheads, I still hunt the old Bear Razorheads on my long bow and recurves. Lots of deer have died to those heads. I also like wooded shafts, but they might not be for everyone.

Esox_Hunter
08-22-2008, 10:55 PM
I have shot muzzy's most of my hunting years and have never had one fail on me. 2 years ago I caught on the bandwagon and bought some rocket sidewinders. that same year I put a decent shot, albeit a bit high on a decent 8-point, after waiting 3 hours to go after him and a full day of searching we found almost no blood and no animal. I will be returning to fixed blade broadheadsthis year, some people may love the mechanicals but, I don't think they have the penetration of fixed blade designs. I have made worse shots on deer than the one I described with Muzzy's and recovered the animals very quickly. I guess I have that sour taste with them now.

Oh,I shoot 100 grain field points and 100 grain broadheads.

After reading some reviews I was thinking of trying slick trick broadheads, anyone have any experience with them?

J-k
08-23-2008, 12:43 AM
I shoot 100 grain field tip, 100 grain rage 2, what a blood trail it left!! You can't go wrong with a Muzzy either!

treerat
08-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Essox you cant go wrong with the Slick tricks . They fly very true and are very sharp . I use the Magnums in 100gr