PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing farm ponds?

goosedowner
11-19-2006, 10:30 AM
My farm pond has some nice bass and blue gill in it and I was wondering if farm ponds are worth ice fishing on.
I have never been ice fishing before and I thought this might be a good way to get into it.

Thanks
Lee

bucksnort
11-19-2006, 02:12 PM
You bet its woth it!! I have 4 ponds and fish them in the winter a few times. Kids ice skate. I fish everybodys happy!!
just be careful, my ponds are spring fed and sometimes get soft spots. Send the wife out to check first!! (snicker snicker) Don't tell her I said that!!
Bucksnort

goosedowner
11-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Thanks Bucksnort, I know my pond gets soft spots but I don't have a wife to send out and check any more. :twisted: I like the kid and dogs to much to send them out so i guess I'll have to do that myself.
Maybe I'll give the pond a try this year.

Outdoorsman
11-19-2006, 06:04 PM
just be careful, my ponds are spring fed and sometimes get soft spots. Send the wife out to check first!! (snicker snicker) Don't tell her I said that!!
Bucksnort

:sign5: if anyone needs a wife pm me !!

Jim_R
11-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Goosedowner-

Farm ponds can be great for ice fishing. Often times they freeze before other, larger water bodies do. One note of caution...if you have cattails, weeds, etc (or other things) that stick up out of the water, ice tends to get soft around it quicker, even if the rest of the ice is solid.

For the bass, try Swedish Pimples or Kastmasters tipped with a waxie, or a Jigging Rapala or Jigging Fat Rap!

goosedowner
11-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks Jim,
I'll pick up a few of those lures and give them a try.

Grizzly Gary
11-30-2006, 10:47 AM
4 ponds at bucksnorts place! Sounds like a visit is definitely in order here. What ya got in those ponds bucksnort?

Grizzly Gary

bucksnort
12-01-2006, 06:39 AM
the usual in the ponds.
bass, gills, couple crappie, trout, one walleye.

Can't get my boat on plane though!!HA HA
bucksnort

RED DOG
12-04-2006, 01:47 PM
MIGHT HAVE TO TRY THAT

Old School Dave
12-04-2006, 06:33 PM
For the crappies,gills and perch I would use ice ants or flouresent pin mins tipped with a maggot or waxworm. My nephew has a 13 acre lake and I have always done well with those lures/bait.Bass,I would try either a med fathead minnow below a ice bobber,small ice rapala in silver & black or gold & black.

darcher
12-05-2006, 08:44 AM
I put in a post earlier that I used to fish alot, now I remember why I gave it up. I could't keep up. It cost me a fortune to keep my takle box stocked and a massive amount of time to keep it sorted out. Something always tangled and in knotts that I hadn't tied but they were good knots cause I couldn't get them undone!! I found that the shooting sports were less aggravating. Golf was even less aggravating than fishing was! Maybe tho at this time in my life, up in years I could try a more relaxing approuch to fishing, ya know, like the tying a string to your toe and just kicking back approuch! Plus, what is this catch and release stuff. I want to eat some fish!!

I don't know why, I just started thinking this morning??????

goosedowner
12-06-2006, 07:47 PM
I know what you mean Darcher.I used to fish a lot, hell Cabalas knew me by first name when I would call. (lol) Between my regular job, the farm and the kid in sports something had to go and unfortunately it was my time fishing.
Maybe this year I can start back up again. :D