PDA

View Full Version : EVER EAT CARP?

Grizzly Gary
05-30-2006, 08:08 PM
I have never tasted Carp. I have seen them in the fish markets in Pittsburgh selling for about a buck a pound. I also remember as a kid fishing the 3 rivers at the Point and folks paying us for the Carp we caught.

In europe and Asia they are prized as table fare. Has anyone here ever eaten Carp?

If so how do you prepare them? Do you fillet them? I remember folks telling me that they ground them up and made fish cakes.

Grissly Gary

Turkey Fan
05-30-2006, 08:20 PM
One of my favorite smoked fish is carp.Heck way back 30 yrs ago I even sold smoked carp for 1$ a lb to the old swedish gents that worked with my dad.Carp from the Kinzua seemed to taste the best,but at that time it wasnt too easy to get big smokers.I used to get most by fish arrow and bow,right out of the Ackley swamp.You'll think this is even stranger but almost as good as smoked carp is carp roe.Take some carp roe and dredge with flour salt and peper and saute them.NOW THATS EATIN :wink:

Drifter
05-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Had it fried a couple times, not my favorite, but not too bad.
Was much better then the time I put a stick through one and cooked it over a fire.

FisherMOM
05-30-2006, 09:23 PM
I have never eaten carp, but would try it if someone else cooked it.

hunterdeneugene
05-31-2006, 07:23 PM
the best recipe I've heard of is to take an oak board, soak it in lemon juice, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and layer the board with spanish sweet onion. Lay the filets skin side up on the onion and bake for about 10-15 minutes per pound of filets, until flakey and then remove from the oven, take the filets and throw them in the trash and dine on the board. Just kidding. I have heard they are ok smoked :D

Grissly Gary UL
06-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Hey FisherMOM! Ask around at the Carp Tourny and see if you can get us a recipe to cook them Carps. I would like to try it and see what those Europeans and asians get so excited about! Thanks!

Gary

TONY ON ICE
06-06-2006, 10:37 AM
GRISS
There's little chance to get info on carp cooking from the group of whackos that'll be fishing this carp tounament or others like it.
Killing a carp for food to them is like slaughtering a cow to the Hindus, keeping big largemouths for food to rednecks in high speed bass boats, putting a 20 inch rainbow in your creel to an Orvis outfitted egomaniac flyfisherman or geting the Eyedoktr to admit he caught a bass on purpose (although that never happened)
The carp are sacred to these people !

For years, we've eaten the carp from Skaneateles and Seneca lake as long as they're not over 15 inches or so. Their meat is light and flaky but a little dark compared to walleye or perch. Filleted and deep fried immediatly, they make great fish sandwiches. Steamed and flaked they make great fish patties and smoked they are excellent. I've cooked them on the grill and served them to unsuspecting guests and they never knew what they were eating until I told them. They thought it was catfish or northern pike.
There's may pin bones in carp that filleting won't remove but deep frying them takes care of that problem.
Carp at the Fulton fish market in NYC are bringing $2.49 per lb.
A guy could make a fortune when the market is ripe !!

Gilligan unlogged
06-06-2006, 11:41 AM
TOI...hangin around with Eyedoktr I'm sure you have had more than one opportunity to also try Sheepshead!

FisherMOM
06-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Hey FisherMOM! Ask around at the Carp Tourny and see if you can get us a recipe to cook them Carps. I would like to try it and see what those Europeans and asians get so excited about! Thanks!

Gary

HA HA HA HA!!!! not a chance.. like TOI said.. ain't none of them eat carp I don't think.
I'd be game to try carp too some time. But I'm not too sure if I'd want to clobber one over the head and start filleting it.... lol

eyedoktr
06-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Anyone that has eaten processed fish (McDonalds Filet-o-fish, Mrs. Pauls, etc) has probably eaten sheepshead.

Drifter
06-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Do a Google search for Carp recipe and there's tons.

walleyebuster
07-07-2006, 02:00 PM
i think the best recipe for carp is you catch em fillet em up butter em up put them in tin foil in the oven at 350 for about an hour take it out and throw away the carp and eat the tin foil i think carp are garbage fish no offence to you guys who eat carp

Grizzly Gary UL
07-08-2006, 10:52 AM
I am planning on trying Carp before the end of the summer. We got some real nice ones in the "ZOO."

I wonder though if their is a premium size to the Carp one should eat. Are smaller one better tasting than larger? Opinions?

Grizzly Gary

FisherMOM
07-08-2006, 09:24 PM
I have always heard carp in the 12 inch range are the best eating ones.

Seriously... they are out there.

http://thefishermom.com/albums/opening/Celeste_and_carp_2_6_5_05.jpg

http://thefishermom.com/albums/opening/5_lb_carp.jpg

mikeymjr23
02-06-2008, 09:22 PM
the best recipe I've heard of is to take an oak board, soak it in lemon juice, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and layer the board with spanish sweet onion. Lay the filets skin side up on the onion and bake for about 10-15 minutes per pound of filets, until flakey and then remove from the oven, take the filets and throw them in the trash and dine on the board. Just kidding. I have heard they are ok smoked :D

haha! when I was about 13? I was fishing at Clay Pond, near Falconer NY, and caught a carp that was over 2 feet. A couple of older gentlemen were fishing nearby, and they asked if I was going to keep it, and when I told them that I wanted to try it, they gave me this recipe! I have given this recipe to everyone that I have encountered that fishes for Carp!

hunterdeneugene
02-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Clay Pond used to have some pigs in it. It used to have northerns , trout, bass and calicos in it too. I haven't fished there in a couple years. I remember one time a stocking truck full of breeders had the air system break down, and it being the closest spot, they dumped all the trout in there. Man they were getting some nice ones for a while.

zenrider
02-07-2008, 07:21 AM
NEVER!

They are my favorite to fish for though. Was tempted a couple of times. Even skinned one once but then chickened out. I have heard NOT to eat the meat below the horizontal line. Only eat the back meat. But I do not see anyone above recommending that.

I think if smoked, I could force myself to try some. And then who knows, maybe I'll turn into a Carp hog. No limits! No reason for freezer to ever be empty again!

ICDUCKS
02-07-2008, 07:41 AM
When all the Walleye and Crappie are gone and im starving to death id prob try it.

Bassin_Nutt
02-07-2008, 12:15 PM
I was born & raised on the Cohocton river in Cohocton, NY. Great trout stream for sure BUT.... the river carp taste just like whitefish. No mud streak, 12 to 15 in and meat as white and sweet as you could imagine. I have had grilled & smoked carp. Kind of greasy but ok, just not a favorite thing.

bigfish
02-07-2008, 03:00 PM
I love to fish for carp but I have never eaten one. I had a neighbor that told me if I caught a small carp, bring it home and he would cook it for me. But I couldn't bring myself to bring one home and try it.