PDA

View Full Version : Brand loyalty?

DeerPredator
09-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Ok...I have a pretty good idea of what some of the answers might consist of, but I am still curious. What brand bows do you all like the most and why? I myself shoot a Martin. I chose this bow for many reasons. The first was price. I am new to the bow hunting world as I already stated in one of my previous postings, so I did not feel like I should go drop a ton of money on something I might end up not liking. Now that I know I love it, maybe I could invest in something a little better next year. All in all, I ended up with everything I needed to start shooting, (including a block target), for almost exactly $400.

The next reason was convenience. I walked into my local Dicks Sporting Goods store a couple of time and looked at the bow that I bought, before I bought it. I then did some research on Martin's products, and really could not find anything that was really too awful about them.

The third reason was comfort. I imagine from what I have learned so far, that this is probably the most important thing. The guy there got me set up and shooting great with a bow that felt good to me before I ever walked out of the store. I have since then changed a number of things on the bow and increased the draw weight, but it just seems that everything I did made it even better and more fun for me to shoot.

I have shot several Bowtechs and Mathews, and both felt like a great shooting bow. For me personally though, I really like mine, and it works for me. I am open to opinions on this topic, and I am interested in what everybody else has to say.

treestandtimmy
09-16-2008, 12:12 AM
I wanted the quietest fastest bow out there so I bought a bowtech. I love technology

phlstr119
09-16-2008, 08:36 AM
I just got 2 bowtechs, and the speed and quiteness is very good. The service not good, and the solution to the limb problem does not make sense to me since the problem was the strength of the limbs. To fix this they designed more holes in teh end and installed chrome rivets. There is no way you can tell me that chrome rivets and more holes make those limbs stronger..I was not impressed at all with this technology.

I'd buy a Parker or Mathews the next go around, and yes, next season the bowtechs will be gone and I will take it on the chin and spend the money and purchase different bows.

treerat
09-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Having shot a few different manufacturers bows through out the years . This last time was all about how the bow felt while shooting . I wanted a quiet bow with little hand shock . I shot Ross ,Mathews ,Bear ,and Mission . Really wasnt much difference in any of them . I ended up getting the mission because of price it was bout $150 cheaper than the others . That left extra money for arrows and a good drop away rest . Lots of great bows out there right now . it all comes down to what one feels right to you .

coalbedbuck
09-16-2008, 06:49 PM
started with a darton. then bought a used onieda eagle off a friend of the family.then bought my first brand new bow in 99, a fred bear code. Sold it after I bought my Hoyt Trykon at the end of 06.... I like it ALOT, but I was entertaining the thought of a BOWTECH until I read about them blowing up..... My Trykon has many,many hunts left in it so I just may use it for a few years more. Maybe until Hoyt comes out with something better than the Trykon. I shot a Vectrix and saw very little difference between that and the trykon, all the bow review I have read show the Katera pretty weak in the ratings. In a few years Hoyt will come out with a showstopper, thats probably when I'll buy again.

woodlandtrophies
09-17-2008, 12:54 AM
When I started archery I had an old geezer of a Hoyt, double cam bow that I was lucky if it made it to the target at 30 yards! It was constantly out of time, a weekly bow shop visit bow. Was a great started bow atleast.
I then purchased a Mathews Mustang & let me tell ya, for a short draw length & low poundage.. that bow ZIPS! At 48#s, shooting feathers & a nice light arrow I was hitting speeds avg of 270s. I didn't do any research, fell in love with it the first time I shot it. Held on to it for a couple years.
I just purchased a Mathews Prestige. LOVE IT! Before I bought it I shot EVERYTHING out there. Bow Tech Guardian I loved the solid wall, ease of draw, but the hand shock & the way that bow bounced like crazy in my hand once the arrow left, turned me away. Martins are a very hard to draw bow. 40#s feels like 60#s. What can I say, I'm a wimp!
Hoyts, I was not impressed with the selection they had for me. When ya cranked it down to fit me, I lost massive speed & power.
So Mathews won my money yet again. They are an awesome company, SUPER customer service & the contingencys (? spelling) they pay out at competitions. .. niiice!
If looking for a nice hunting bow there are a lot of great bows out there. Parkers & Mathews Mission are a good place to start looking. Even some Dartons are nice :)

But for me it will probably always be Mathews. They have yet to steer me wrong.

ICDUCKS
09-17-2008, 08:27 PM
[quote="woodlandtrophies"]Bow Tech Guardian I loved the solid wall, ease of draw, but the hand shock & the way that bow bounced like crazy in my hand once the arrow left, turned me away.

Now I know you smoke dope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woodlandtrophies
09-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Sorry to break your heart Ducks, but that baby bounced! :P

treerat
09-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Bowtechs have more hand shock than Mathews? Imagine that :lol: 8) . I am glad I didnt get a blowtech . Seriously in the last ten years all manufacturers have reduced hand shock .

Grizzly Gary
09-20-2008, 10:08 AM
My old ,whatever it was, bow has worked fine for me for 20 + years. Killed some deer with it and had a fine time afield.

Will be interesting to start shooting the new Mission journey when I get back.

Most likely will kill twice as many deer as TST! :lol: :lol: :lol:

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
09-20-2008, 10:27 AM
I don't know Gary, I hear TST found a way to inject pink die into the Oak tree next to his treestand and now it's producing pink acorns that really attract the doe and alot of gay buck!!!! :lol: :lol: :twisted:

firemedic3314
09-20-2008, 10:56 AM
:laughing3: ROFLMMFAO

outfishya
09-25-2008, 11:50 PM
I love my matthews its so quiet and just great for me

treestandtimmy
09-27-2008, 11:19 AM
I don't know Gary, I hear TST found a way to inject pink die into the Oak tree next to his treestand and now it's producing pink acorns that really attract the doe and alot of gay buck!!!! :lol: :lol: :twisted:

that's funny, but just to let you guys know Grizzlys NY stand is real easy to spot from a long distance. It says I'M GAY in reflective tacks!! :lol:

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
09-29-2008, 06:43 PM
:lol: :lol: Reflective tacks are for wimps!!!

tunadawg
09-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Hoyt. I shoot this bow so well I hate to even think of getting a new one. The new bows are so much lighter I may just have to cave in. I hate to fix what aint broke though.

zenrider
09-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Darton. Good old Darton. Got her out yesterday for first time. This Lightening must be at least eight to ten years old now. Proceeded to shoot bulleyes as usual. Have not adjusted anything on it in five years. Only time it needs adjusted is when I replace a cable or string. Once set up, stays in tune for years in all weather. I hunt in the worst conditions and winter too. Usually fall on it a couple of times per year. If I ever upgrade, I will look at Darton several times before abandoning them. I like the single cam bows for sure, but if they don't make one, I could live without it. Give me rock solid performance, year after year. Those guys at the clubs with their allen wrenches and screwdrivers and squares and crimpers and pliers are a sorry lot for sure.

masterblaster
09-30-2008, 05:14 PM
shot a hoyt for three years and had nothing but problems with it, didnt even kill a deer with it before i gave it away. Picked up a mathews ultralight and then a mathews switchback xt and have killed a buck with them 5 straight years..the proof is in the freezer

I dont know if you PA hunters have checked the weather or not but this weekend gets down in the 30's. should make for a good opening weekend!