PDA

View Full Version : LATE SEASON ARCHERY

Grizzly Gary
11-28-2006, 10:15 AM
By the looks of things I am going to have tags for the late archery season. How many here are still sitting in their stands in December and January?

How do you approach it? Scents (late rut) and the like? Do you hunt the late season differently?

Please share your tips & tactics.

Grizzly Gary

Outdoorsman
11-28-2006, 08:01 PM
The late rut I treat just like any other rut. Believe me, there is a second rut and it is strong and often over looked by many. I get out when I can but by then almost all the vacation days are gone or being saved.

treestandtimmy
11-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Traditionaly I've not hunted the late season much, but when I have, I've seen bucks. Usually smaller though, still chasing the does hard.

Mighty Mike
11-29-2006, 11:40 AM
To cold for me to sit in a tree in December or January. I get the muzzleloader out.

mike

darcher
11-29-2006, 01:03 PM
As I told Gary on his show last year, I do most of my late season hunting from the couch!! If the weather is not blustery I may try it tho, I will have the time so I may try it again, maybe, I'll give it some thought!!!

treerat
11-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Hunt the south face of the hill . The deer like the sunny side of the hill .also hunt the middle of the day .Deer feed more often in the cold weather .Oh white camo works great when there is snow on .

Grizzly Gary
12-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Need more though. My gun season is not going well. It really looks like I am going to have to spend some time in the tree after Christmas. Like the white camo suggestion.

I must take another deer or 2 between Pa. and Ny. for the DAV Game Feast. The pressure is mounting. Sure fired tips for late season is what I need. HELP!!

Grizzly Gary

carl milks
12-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Rarely had to go out that late- but the few times I have, sit on a well used trail as long as you can-in their feeding areas-they'll have the snow pawed away. I've never had too much sucess early in the day this time of year, it seems they move better towards afternoon/late til dusk-after the sun has "warmed" things up a bit. I've actually arrowed more deer from the ground than from a tree stand mainly because I can stay warmer on the ground. Just cut a track and slowly follow it til you either get close enough or spook it- it's TOUGH at that time of year, they are still spooky from being chased during gun season- but it sure is fun doing it. Quite often, you can catch them bedded this way. A real challenge! Good luck.

hunterdeneugene
12-06-2006, 07:33 AM
find a food source and you will find the deer.

tmw1954a
12-18-2006, 04:42 PM
i'm a little lucky, after work i (work 3rd shift) get changed and go out and sit in a tree off my backyard behind my house. i see movement in the mornings and at nite. and i hope to get one soon. :D

Buck Master
12-18-2006, 04:57 PM
tmw1954a: Welcome to Grizzlyland!

Hope you get your deer soon. :wink:

tmw1954a
12-19-2006, 07:12 AM
well thanks buck. so do i, it's just wait and see. i've deen a 7-8 point back there in early november but i didnt have a clear shot. i did move my stand to a diff tree :)

Grizzly Gary
12-19-2006, 09:41 PM
tmw1954a,

I also welcome you aboard here at Grizzlyland! I also hope you harvest a late season archery deer. I will be out there trying myself. Can't be any worse than my rifle season!!!

Grizzly Gary