PDA

View Full Version : KINZUA TAILWATERS HOT FOR EYES

Grizzly Gary
11-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Talking to a lot of guys who are slamming Walleyes in the Kinzua Tailrace. Many keepers as well as a good number of 4-5 lbers & up. The hot baits are Firetiger Rapalas in the #11 & #13 and the neww Steel Rapala. Jigheads and twister tails are also producing good numbers of fish.

To a man they all believe it will get even better.

Anybody here been up there lately? Please share your reports.

Grizzly Gary

Mighty Mike
11-29-2006, 12:35 PM
With my luck them fish will stop biting when i am done getting skunked for deer season.

mike

Summers
11-30-2006, 07:08 AM
I haven't been up there myself but i have been hearing the same thing...

Bryan Hoffner
11-30-2006, 11:15 AM
It is happening and as gary reports and should keep up

Grizzly Gary
12-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Talked to 2 more guys yesterday who say they have been doing well at the tailrace. Heard rumor of a guy getting a 14 lber a week ago. A buddy that has a camp at Shipmens Eddy caught 3 4lbers last week right from his back patio.

This time of year produces some big eyes in the tailwaters area.

Anybody here fish from the new fishing pier on the Hemlock side yet?

Grizzly Gary

OTTER119
12-10-2006, 07:23 PM
I didn't fish the tailwaters, but fished from shore at a couple other spots during the last week. I tried the point in Warren about 8-9PM one week night with rapala, jig and white twister, reef runner,... nothing. Fished from shore at Webbs this Sunday evening, caught and released one 28" skinny pike :) . The pike hit and runned a big shiner right when the stars started to show.

The boat launch looked iffy for boats with some snow/ice still on the road. I think I saw tracks made with chains on, maybe someone had a boat out this weekend?

Grizzly Gary
12-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Gonna hit it this week. Still hearing good reports.

Grizzly Gary

Kinzua Man
12-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Going to give it a shot this weekend.

Kinzua Man

GRIZZ
12-12-2006, 02:04 PM
I suggest you guys try some swimbaits down there. I used Mimic Minnows this year in the reservoir up by quaker and killed on them compared to plugs and twisters. They have unmatched action and realism compared to almost anything else.

I just bought the tails and used them on a heavy enough unpainted jighead that would get me to the bottom in the current. Jigged them hard on the way up so I could feel the tail thumping and lwt it fall slowly with a tight line to detect strikes. They almost always hit the drop. Hammered the smallies on them as well. I did best on the 2.5 and 3.5 inch sizes.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=71432&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=77162&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

I've tried storms wildeyes in the past, but have never done well with them. I caught a few on them this year, but did way better with the mimics.

Gander in Erie carries them.

The EyeBall Buster
12-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Anyone know the water temp. at the tailrace?How much longer will the bite continue?

singleshot
12-16-2006, 10:19 PM
The recording at the dam states that it is 42 deg. I will verify it tomorrow, hopefully the bite will still be on.

Grizzly Gary
12-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Tailwaters bite has slowed a little by what I am told. Heven't gotten there yet. Any reports from you guys?

Grizzly Gary

singleshot
12-21-2006, 07:25 PM
I made it out Sunday afternoon. Water temp on the humminbird was reading 39.5. I caught 1 15"cher at dark. Nothing else. Will be trying again possibly Sat.

Will_S
12-23-2006, 12:03 PM
I've never fished the tailwaters so I am not totally familiar with the how to get there. Any good places to start? I'll probably be after walleyes and may give the muskies a shot after the first of the year.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

singleshot
12-23-2006, 12:48 PM
There is a launch right at the access area below the dam if you plan on bringing a boat.

singleshot
12-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Will, Do you have a boat with a jet? If you do there is also a luanch at the Warren hospital.

Will_S
12-25-2006, 08:51 PM
No jet boat. I have a deep-v Crestliner 1850 Sportfish with 130 Honda and a 9.9 Merc 4-stroke. I do have an old 12 ft v-bottom but only a trolling motor hangs on it but I do not think that will work in the northern stretches of the river either. I was looking more at shore fishing areas with access to deep pools if that is possible.

Grizzly Gary
12-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Will_S, you can access the tailwaters either from the Rt.59 side or the Hemlock side. They just built a nice new fishing pier on the Hemlock side right by the hatchery. Both have easy parking & access.

You can also go in to town & turn off of Pennsylvania Ave at the Cornerstone Bar & restaurant. That will take you down to a park at the confluence of the Conewango Creek & the river. Great spot to fish. Also try underneath the railroad tressel that you see there. Nice deep hole under that bridge.

Grizzly Gary

The EyeBall Buster
01-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Anyone fishing the tailrace doing any good?Last few trips there haven't done any good.One would think with the water blasting out this week it should be worth the trip fishing.

Grizzly Gary
01-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Down at Pages Sporting Goods today. Danny says not a lot of guys going out the past few days. Lots of guys heading to Chapman Dam for the Trout though.

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary
01-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Getting lots of reports of nice Trout and Walleyes being caught in the tailwaters. Sounds like an excellent alternative to the Zoo since the ice is not there yet.

Grizzly Gary