PDA

View Full Version : Bay of Quinte

eyedoktr
12-03-2006, 06:44 AM
I just got back from a great trip to the Bay of Quinte for walleyes. We fished for 6 days and caught a bunch of fish. We never found the giant walleye that live there but did manage a few between 10 and 12 pounds. Most were around 8 pounds. Friday morning produced 12 fish in about 2 hours, all between 7 and 9 pounds

The main reason I was there was actually not to fish but to allow Doug Stange from the In-Fisherman to use my Lund for a t.v. show filming. I actually fished out of a 16'Lund tiller all week while Doug, his cameraman and the lodge owner went out in my boat.

Doug Stange is a super guy who I have admired and learned alot from over the years. Also at the camp was Gord Pyser. Gord is also affiliated with In-Fisherman but was there to write an article for Canada Outdoors magazine.

If anyone wants a great walleye trip, either open water or through the ice, I highly suggest Quinte. I also recommend you stay at Merland Park. The owner is a good guy with extensive knowledge of the area. He has a number of fully furnished cabins and keeps 5 open in the winter. If you go for ice fishing, he'll even bring out a hot pizza to you at noon.

carl milks
12-03-2006, 06:59 AM
Doc- just HOW BIG are the monsters there if those 10's & 12's did'nt make "monster class" ???? I've seen I-F do numerous segments on Quinte and it looks intrigueing. Always wanted to meet Stange and staff.

eyedoktr
12-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Carl, I have pulled a 13.7# thru the ice and have seen more than a couple 15 and 16 pounders.

Will_S
12-03-2006, 09:44 AM
I always wanted to do some eye fishing up there. Sound like a great place to stay too. Here is Merland Park website that I found:

http://www.pec.on.ca/merlandpark/fishing.html

Gilligan
12-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Think you are retired or something, taking off at will for 6 days of fishing?

darcher
12-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Never tried this ice fishing stuff. I'd like to try it, where would you recomend I start, place that is!!

Grizzly Gary
12-04-2006, 09:23 AM
eyedoktr, I sure do envy you! What a fantastic sounding trip! Hanging out and fishing with Doug Stange and all those In-Fisherman types. SO COOL!

darcher, lots of ice available right here in our area. I would suggest Chautauqua Lake for pan fish first. Usually a lot of action and those Gills and Crappie are very tasty.

Would be my honor to take you along. Course you have to walk ahead of me and check the ice! :lol: Just kidding. I have everything you would need. I will contact you once we have ice which I am hoping will be in the next few weeks. We need some single digit nights!

Grizzly Gary

darcher
12-04-2006, 11:46 AM
The pleasure would be mine, accually Jan. 11 sounds like a likely day for your first time out!!

Mighty Mike
12-04-2006, 01:48 PM
eyedoktr fishing with In-fisherman. Gary on the Outdoor channel and he fished on tv with Babe Winkleman. All these famous tv guys we fish with. We regular guys wont be able to talk to any of you soon.That sure sounds like a neat trip eyedoktr. I envy you to. That had to be a ton of fun.

mike

Grizzly Gary
12-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Mighty Mike,

When you are as good looking, intelligent and top notch anglers such as myself and the good eyedoktr the TV cameras love ya! It's not easy being us ya know.
Don't worry though, the eyedoktr and I will continue to allow you Gilligan and the rest to hang out with us. Especially if you guys are buying! :lol:

darcher, as soon as we have Chautauqua ice you are in. Also a yes to you and Bob doing the Christmas Eve Show. I will give you a ring in the next day or two.

Grizzly Gary

Mighty Mike
12-06-2006, 12:46 PM
When i think of good looking i dont think of you or the eyedoktr. You guys are smart plus good anglers. Ill give you that.
What does it cost to take a trip like that? Ctaching 8 pound walleyes all day sure would be fun. What were you catching them on. Live bait or artificials. Is the tv guy as good in person as he is on tv?

mike

eyedoktr
12-06-2006, 01:13 PM
MIke, yes, Doug is as good a fisherman as he appears to be on t.v.

Seeing as how Rapala is one of the main sponsors, that's all he was using. Mainly using Husky Jerks, Tail Dancers and the new minnow raps. I know that others have been getting fish on Renosky's and Reef Runners. People are jigging with live bait but are getting small (2-5 lbs) fish

Here is where I stayed www.pec.on.ca/merlandpark
I stayed in a one BR cottage right on the water. Full kitchen, bath, cable t.v.. Excellent accomodations. If you go for ice fishing, Kevin will put you on fish within walking distance from shore and will bring out a hot pizza to you at lunch.

It is only 4.5 hours from my house including a stop at the duty free store, customs and a pit stop. If anyone is interested in going, let me know and I'll give Kevin (owner) a call.

hey, I never said I was good looking, Gary said that. :-)

Sluggo / NY
12-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Pete... Any chance we could get you to autograph the sides of the boat for us? Sluggo (Chris)

Gilligan
12-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Pete... Any chance we could get you to autograph the sides of the boat for us? Sluggo (Chris)

RIGHT!!!!!!

And with Bobber driving how long would that last? :twisted:

eyedoktr
12-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Chris, if I had been filmed for the show, I would gladly sign the boat. Seeing as how I wasn't and only my boat will be on the show, I don't think I'll be handing out autographs just yet :D :D :D

Hopefully, now that Doug Stange has met me, he will recognize the wonderful personality I possess and the charm I exude and will ask me to do a show with him in the near future.

Gilligan
12-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Chris, if I had been filmed for the show, I would gladly sign the boat. Seeing as how I wasn't and only my boat will be on the show, I don't think I'll be handing out autographs just yet :D :D :D

Hopefully, now that Doug Stange has met me, he will recognize the wonderful personality I possess and the charm I exude and will ask me to do a show with him in the near future.

Exuding personality and charm? You might as well start selling used cars if you are going to talk like Grizzly!