PDA

View Full Version : Allegheny River Trip

Action
12-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Has anyone here floated the Allegheny around the islands below Warren ? I want to take a long canoe float, do some camping and catch some smallies. Any ideas on where would be the best section to smallie fish ? Is there a better smallie creek or river that I should try in western Pa ? My wife and I are strictly catch and release smallie fisherman and we're really looking forward to a few days of floating and fishing in Pa. :D

Mighty Mike
12-08-2006, 11:12 AM
I would contact John Lorenzo from this site. He is the big bass guy here. I bet he could help you.

mike

darcher
12-08-2006, 02:33 PM
I have never fished it alot but have canoed from the dam to Tionesta alot of times. This is just a pleasant float trip, islands to camp on and fish etc.You'll enjoy it.

Grizzly Gary
12-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Action by all means PM John. He is the Kinzua Bass Man!

Grizzly Gary

toothyfishman
12-13-2006, 09:39 AM
I most of the best bass fishing is below Warren where the water is warmer.
Smallie fishing is good anywhere south of there....my dad is near Emelton and it is great in that area. I think anywhere is good, but it needs to be away from the dam cause the water is too cold up close.

goosedowner
12-13-2006, 06:42 PM
The boys are right, the river is a great waterway to canoe. I had always found smallies in the ripples of the river.

Action
12-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Do you guys think that I would have better luck near Emelton than I would around Warren or Tionesta ? Is there any section that has lots of rocks and boulders ? Thanks for all your ideas and info, I can't wait to float the Allegheny this spring.
:D

Kinzua Man
12-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Make sure you try the eddy's behind the boulders in Kennerdell, Venango County.

Kinzua Man

Action
12-16-2006, 10:58 AM
I've been looking into that all I can and President to I-80 looks to be great smallie waters. Does anyone know this area ? John Lorenzo said he's a lake man and doesn't do much floating. :) I may have to go on a scouting mission. There's not islands in that section like there is up north so I need to find some camp spots. I did notice a railroad along part of it that may be the ticket for camping. ?

OTTER119
12-17-2006, 06:09 PM
I've canoed alot of it over several trips, have floated some sections many times. It was an adventure, but I have gone 5 days from Port Allegheny to Onoville, the whole horse shoe thru New York above the Allegheny Reservoir. I have also canoed everything between the Kinzua dam and Emlenton over the course of many trips.

You will not be dissapointed with President to Emlenton if you are looking for "any section that has lots of rocks and boulders". Go when the water level is lower, you won't drag in a conoe down this far, and seems easier to me to read the boulders and fish them at lower flows. The rail road grade is a bike-hike trail from Oil city all the way to Emlenton I think. There are two big train tunnells on that grade that are nice too cool off in, in the summer. Camping is tougher down here than upstream in the Warren to Tionesta islands area, but you'll manage if you like to be a river rat and bank crawler! There are some public park shelters for camping (right off the highway though) just south of Franklin on the East bank, I have use these after some rainy days.

Another nice float, but a little more challange in the canoe is French Creek. A many day French Creek - Allegheny combo was a good trip for me before.

treerat
12-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Otter119 How is the fishing From Port Allegheny to Portville ? I have never fished or floated that section . What would be a good one day float in that area.