PDA

View Full Version : KINZUA SLOT LIMIT

Grizzly Gary
06-14-2006, 05:58 PM
Many I speak to are in favor of instituting a slot limit for Kinzua. It is their opinion that it would tremendously improve the walleye fisherie.

Chautauqua Lake in NY. started a 3 fish of 18 inches or better limit a couple of years ago. Haven't heard anybody complaining about it.

Would you be in favor of a slot limit on Kinzua. If so what would you like the numbers to be?

If no. Why?

Grissly/Grizzly Gary

craven
06-14-2006, 07:58 PM
I think chataqua (or however you spell it) rules would be WONDERFUL on the dam. Some people get carried away with keeping limit after limit , but hey they paid for their license they can do what they want it doesnt bother me. I do think it would be a hard sell to the Res. and NY. If all three states would go along it would be super!

Bill J
06-15-2006, 09:11 AM
I voted yes to this poll as I feel it could not hurt one bit.

As Gary pointed out they are not complaining much up on Chautauqua as most know that in time the Walleye population will come back once again and better fishing will be had by all.

Action
06-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Slot limits have done some amazing things at slumping lakes and have made good lakes great. I love slot limits. If you make the limit 17" it would hurt tournies at first but make the Zoo an awesome walleye lake.

Bryan Hoffner
06-16-2006, 08:50 AM
I'm in if all 3 governing bodies could come to an agreement on lengths and # of fish in the limit. You're still going to catch those fish you can't keep. So what if you have to throw them back. Catching them is the fun of it anyway.

3 fish 17-20 inches per day and 1 per day 26 or 28 and over

The 26/28" might sound extreme to some but in time we I think would or should I say should see a decent population of fish in that range. Maybe a better chance of the zoo breaking some more records down the road.

Swanny
06-16-2006, 03:34 PM
I voted yes, but what worries me about a slot is what about in winter when it is getting pounded by icefishermen and the good size breeding stock we are trying to protect are popping their bladder out from being pulled from the depths that some guys fish at that time of year. I know some of you are going to respond that does not kill the fish. But I don't beleive it. People use to say fizzin didn't kill fish, now you hear different. I love to icefish so I hope noone takes offense to the above comment.

carl milks
06-16-2006, 11:07 PM
I've read alot of articles in "In-Fisherman" & "Walleye Insider" on this subject the past couple years. It seems the jury is still out on this one. They say some lakes respond to this greatly, and others it seems to be detrimental. I voted for it, and believe in it, after all, we have to do something- the numbers of big fish are just not there. And when I say "big" fish, I'm not just talking big old hogs, even the 19's & up are getting rarer. The Zoo seems to be getting alot like Pymatuming- lots of fish, but as soon as they reach legal size, someone harvests them and they are not going to get any bigger then. Then you end up where we are now-lots of dinks & few(er) big ones). I personally don't keep any under 17", and none over 20", except during a tourny of course. The 15's are like shooting a fawn during deer season, there's not much meat on them and they can't grow bigger when they're gone. A slot most likely would help. I think PAFBC would go along with it, and maybe NYDEC, how about SNI? Historically, SNI regs on inland lakes generally follow NY fish laws. If not a slot, how about dropping the daily limit down to 4? DEC did it on Erie. Think of it this way, if 100 fishermen did'nt keep 1 fish, that would be 100 fish left in the lake. Times that by season and you get the picture. Just thoughts.

Grizzly/Grissly Gary
06-19-2006, 08:38 AM
First time I hever ever seen everybody in agreement since this young site was started. Please keep your opinions and votes coming as I plan on having Mr. Woomer as a guest.

Gary

doubleheader
06-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Well, I vote yes also, but also agree with Swanny. You can't jerk walleyes out of 40' in the winter and expect them to survive. When I was on the Mississippi last year their approach in addition to a slot was a moratorium on ice fishing. I know alot of guys like their ice fishing and I am not suggesting we institute any changes, I just wish some would be a little more responsible. Also, we would need some agreement from the Seneca Nation. There is no sense trying to delay harvest if they are going to be netted out. I'm not saying this is happening, but others have reported seeing this, I never have seen it myself.

cskud
06-28-2006, 06:18 AM
Chautauqua needed a slot limit due to invasive species eating eye fry (white perch) plus a huge increase in the crappie , yellow perch and muskie population = not enough feed - something gives - walleye reproduction is comparatively slow - stocking programs are in place an it will return to a decent eye fishery but always be very cyclic due to the large # of species and dependent on stocking.
In Kinzua - where do most of the naturally producing eyes go to spawn??? - Upriver -
Hmmmm - I don't think anyone is considering the most important factor - pre-post and mid spawn harvesting - some limits need to be established here - like no big hens, males only???

Swanny
06-28-2006, 07:50 PM
I don't think you can actually call Chautauqua's limit a slot limit, 3 walleyes 18" or over. From what I've read or seen at other lakes is a limit consisting of fish in the 14"-17" class with one fish being over 26" allowed in the limit. Atleast the NY DEC did something about the over harvesting of walleyes on this lake, hopefully it will be back to where it was. As for Kinzua I don't think we will ever be able to get the Seneca Nation on board and if they do buy in I will bet that the Senecas will not have to abide by the slot limit.

Bill J
06-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Swanny....there is no doubt in my mind that you are right when you say "Senecas will not have to abide by the slot limit". All we can do is hope and pray that they will abide if there would ever be a change on the Zoo.

Grizzly Gary
07-02-2006, 01:00 PM
To a man and a woman everybody I have spoke to is in favor of a Kinzua slot limit. Looks like we'll have to see what can be done to institute it.

If only we could get the Seneca Nation of Indians to participate I know that Kinzua could become a premier walleye fisherie.

One step at a time.

Grizzly Gary

Linda O
07-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Slot limits are probably fine like other rules for those who chose to follow them!! alot like locking your truck or house to keep the honest people out. With or without the governing bodies ruling the slot limit or even the harvest limit why can't the 'sportsman' in all of us inititate it ourselves and do our part? What tournament is willing to step up with a 3fish bag limit, with NO other fish remaining in your boat? I agree with and have seen first hand the repeat of limit after limit taken off the lake. Sometimes they need to come in with the right hand and released with the left, even in Willow Creek we are ambidexterious (or is it amphibious?). Sometimes I wonder how long it is going to take before the conversations turn from the deer herd management problems to the point where you can just substitute the word walleye for whitetail and discuss the same issues... Forage, carrying capacity, harvest limits, habitat degredation/improvement, special tag implementation... get my drift
Later
Linda O
You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Grizzly Gary UL
07-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Linda O,

You make some very valid points. It will be interesting to see how this thing goes. We have to work with what we have and make the best of it.

One small group takes one small step and a landside ensues!

Grizzly Gary