PDA

View Full Version : Fly Tying

rattrapper
12-16-2006, 08:53 PM
I don't tie flies or fish much any more but, fly tying interests me because of the materials used. I just gave a friend some red fox scraps for fly tying. What do you guys mainly tie and what materials do you use?

Grizzly Gary
12-17-2006, 05:50 AM
Dont fly fish or tie flies. Hear deer hair is very popular.

Grizzly Gary

hunterdeneugene
12-17-2006, 07:37 AM
I only tie egg imitations for steelies and salmon, so my materials are pretty basic for egg patterns. Estaz, Mcflyfoam, glo bug yarn, angora yarn, and cheniles mostly. If anyone is interested, maybe I could put together a basic step by step with pictures on how to tie some basic egg imitations. Trust me, if I can tie them, they are basic and easy. The estaz egg is my favorite all around fly.

Gilligan
12-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Used to tie commercially years ago.

Not much you cant use...

porcupine hair, fur from my wifes cats, deer hair, beaver fur, fox, pea**** feathers, squirrel tail, turkey feathers, many different duck feathers, muskrat, of course rooster capes.

Old School Dave
12-17-2006, 08:02 AM
fur from my wifes cats
:shock:

Turkey Fan
12-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Muskrat for muskrat nymphs mostly. Black maribou for black wooly buggers Feathers of various types for hackles.But one time just for chits and giggles I made a fly from the different types of fur found on my yellow lab.And it actually caught fish :lol: Makes me chuckle to think of the strange look on your labs(not to mention wife's) face as you trim hair off the dogs ears for dubbing.

12-19-2006, 07:38 PM
fur from my wifes cats

Perfect use of a cat........(grin)

ratherbhuntin
12-31-2006, 05:57 PM
I use pretty much whatever i shoot mainly such as squirrels, grouse, pheasent, deer, etc.

Bill J
01-08-2007, 07:34 PM
I have been tying flies for around 40 years and have to agree with what Gilligan said.

Not much you cant use...

porcupine hair, fur from my wifes cats, deer hair, beaver fur, fox, pea**** feathers, squirrel tail, turkey feathers, many different duck feathers, muskrat, of course rooster capes.

Road kills have been a great source of material for me... :D ...I would like to also add to Gilligans list ,Grouse feathers for soft hackle flies and Pheasant tail.

bucksnort
01-09-2007, 05:30 AM
I mainly use bucktail for jigs. Thats right Guys I said JIG!!!
Wifes cat won't hold still and battle scars prove it!!
Bucksnort

Gerald
01-19-2007, 11:41 PM
I use alot of pea**** hearl in quite a few of my fly's and nymphs.
Bucktails,squirrrel tails,turkey wing feathers for streamers.
chicken neck and saddle feathers. Thank goodness my wife likes to raise chickens :D