PDA

View Full Version : WHY DO SOME LANDOWNERS SAY NO TO ARCHERS?

Grizzly Gary
12-31-2006, 01:49 PM
I am always suprized to hear a Landowner say he/she will not allow Archers to hunt their property. They say that Archers to often stick an arrow in a deer in a bad spot then are unable to get the deer. They say it really makes them mad to find a dead deer with an arrow stuck in it.

Makes no sense to me. I have seen deer hit during gun season and not harvested. I have seen deer running with one leg hanging etc. and I know that if a hunter doesn't take that deer the coyotes will.

Can anyone figure this out? Have you ever been refused by a landowner?

Grizzly Gary

darcher
12-31-2006, 04:05 PM
The reason you gave is not uncommon, and it is used mainly because they don't know any better. They are not educated as to the facts and have their minds made up that archery is not a good way to harvest deer. Another reason is that a farmer has either lost or had cattle hurt by a broadhead that was picked up in a field while haying. If you shoot into a field and miss or put an arrow through you must exhaust every effort to retreive that arrow. Do not leave it in the field. Most times now that I am turned down is because exclusive rights to hunt their property has been given to another hunter.That's my two cents worth!!!

carl milks
12-31-2006, 09:05 PM
I agree that's the most common reason and also believe that it stems from an old wive's tale about archery. I have seen/found far more deer hit by bullets and not found or are wandering around wounded than non-recovered deer from archery. I hear that archery thing all the time, and it's ALWAYS from a non-bow hunter. I personally have never been turned down for that reason, but have for the leasing/selective hunting reasons tho. That seems to be ever increasing too.

01-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Once questioned a bow shop owner in Belmont NY about the deer skull sitting on the mantle.....

'Twas a doe from his recollection and it had a two bladed Bear wedged into the nasel cavity. The bone had grown around the broadhead and the shaftwood in the taper was still there.

I was amazed that the deer lived through the ordeal and allegedly died of natural causes. That was back in my younger years and was a mind boggling thought back then.

Have since killed a few deer with old archery wounds from previous years and have since grown accustomed to a deer's ability to heal itself under those circumstances.

Not saying that EVERY arrow stuck deer can recover to full potential but it do happen.

Ma Nature is a bugger that way......................................

rattrapper
01-02-2007, 07:49 PM
It's the same way with trapping. ----------- I would like to have a dollar for every time I've heard ---------- I had my dog get caught in a trap a few years ago. ------------- It's the most worn out BULLS--T line I've heard. ---------- rattrapper

Grizzly Gary
01-25-2007, 01:42 PM
I to have heard stories of deer being harvested with blades or pieces of shaft still in them. Never seen it myself though.

Grizzly Gary

ratherbhuntin
01-25-2007, 06:22 PM
I to have heard stories of deer being harvested with blades or pieces of shaft still in them. Never seen it myself though.Grizzly Gary

My uncle shot an 8 point in archery and we found the arrow broke off right at the broadhead but never found the deer so we figured he hit it in the shoulder. Well he shot another 8 point in rifle and on first look you could see the scar on it from the arrow skun it out and the arrow had gone under the spine, over all the vitals and we found the broad head lodged int the shoulder on the opposite side and that deer was all healed up healthy as could be.

carl milks
01-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I shot a 6 pt a few years back the 1st day of archery. When I skinned him, I noticed a scar the shape of a cross in the hide that was all healed up. Upon finding that, I looked at the coresponding part on his hind 1/4 to find scarred tissue thru the muscle. There was no arrow or broadhead in there, but it definitely was an arrow wound, presumedly from the previous year as this was the 1st day. He was just fine (til I arrowed him).

Frederoski*Forestry52
03-01-2007, 12:36 AM
You know gentlemen, it just happens to be that landowners personel right to do so. Not that I'm taking any sides here now. I'm all for hunting new locations, as much as I can be granted to.
Forestry has openend many doors to land management and restrictions. Quite frankly, the exercise to use these rights are not as prevalent as you think.
Yes, it is unfortunate that many landowner do not grant hunters on to their property, even I have been there. You must think of the day-in age we live in now. Everyone is getting sued for something radical that they don't even have control over. Really as sad as it may be, its for the landowners sake.The liability is just too much anymore. People this day in age make me sick and really once their has been a problem with landowners due to stupid peoples mistakes it ruins it for everyone else!
***Somthing You Must Know***
As many of us that have posted our lands...Not only are you restricting and protecting your rights and resources...You too are actually flexing your movement in the wrong way which may come back to bite you. There have been movements dealing with posted properties in such ways that people are exploiting and abusing them. I've heard many times now that posted property actually makes you more likely to endure more punishment with the law if someone were to get hurt even without your permission to be on the permises. Many of my forestry professors and student colleagues have discussed this issue... All I can say is understand the bi-laws and be careful.

Your local friend,
FF52

Grizzly Gary
03-08-2007, 11:53 AM
FF52,

What a crazy world we live in. It boggles the mind that someone can illegaly enter your property and then sue you if something happens to them. So sad that a landowner kind enough to allow the use of his/her land have so many worries because of that choice.

I again thank any and all who are kind enough to allow the use of their property.

Grizzly Gary

treestandtimmy
03-08-2007, 02:35 PM
It's a shame that some landowners are somewhat greedy for no obvious reasons, just to be jerks more than anything I presume. I have been so fortunate with the landowners I know and their generosity with me and my friends(including the Grizz!) amazing I know :lol:

Grizzly Gary
03-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Right you are Treestandtimmy! A man like Smitty is a gift indeed. He loves to hunt and share and all he asks is repect of his property as well as the game that inhabits it. All hunters would have greater access to private land if they treated that land & the landowner with respect.

As far as Archery, i think many more deer a lost during the firearms season than by Archers. If you are hunting right & waiting for the good shot you should never lose a deer with a bow. That is why each & every shot I have taken has been under 20 yards.

Grizzly Gary

44 MAG
04-22-2007, 06:22 PM
It's a shame that some landowners are somewhat greedy for no obvious reasons, just to be jerks more than anything I presume. I have been so fortunate with the landowners I know and their generosity with me and my friends(including the Grizz!) amazing I know :lol:

It's their property and their right to say NO to any hunter.
You calling them Greedy and Jerks, I can see why they would say NO to you.