PDA

View Full Version : FILLET KNIVES

Grizzly Gary
12-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Who here uses an electric fillet knife? I have never tried one.

What kind do you use? If not electric then what brand do you prefer and do you like a particular blade size?

Share your filleting tips with our friends.

Grizzly Gary

Old School Dave
12-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Have been using them for years on my Lake Eries catches. Have had almost all brands but the best I've run into is the Mister Twister 110volt model. They dont seem to dull and being 110 volt you dont have to worry about it going dead such as happens with the battery types.For big fish and a good quanity you just cant beat them.
For my inland fishing and filleting smaller eyes I just use the good old Rapala wood handled knives.I use the smaller one for crappies and the next size up for the eyes. I do use a cheap flexible stainless knife for skinning .

eyedoktr
12-31-2006, 03:45 PM
For the last few years I have used an elecric knife and still will for the big walleyes. Now, for all my perch I use what I consider to be the very best filet knife I have ever used. A great friend (thanks Gilligan) gave me a Leech Lake knife as a retirement present. The Leech Lake knife is outstanding. I can filet 2 dozen perch, have them in the freezer and be all cleaned up in about a half an hour. It goes through the perch as ell as an electric.

Gilligan
12-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Wow...Old School Dave...

I've burned up half a dozen twisters in 4-5 years on Erie fish. I now use the American Angler electric knife. I have been using that for 4 years no problem.

For those considering an electric they are awesome once you get used to them.

I've found the serrated blades can be resharpened quite easily with a small diameter stone in a dremmel. I think part of the problem I had with the twisters was overloading them when they dulled.

carl milks
12-31-2006, 09:15 PM
For my Erie 'eyes I use a Hamilton Beach 110 volt w/serrated blades. Zips right thru. For smaller inland fish I use the trusty old wood handled Rapala, I beleive it's a nine inch. It takes a good edge and keeps it a long time- also works great on deer processing too. A word to the wise for electrics- USE CAREFULLY!!!! They not only zip thru fish, they can zip right thru your fingers too!!!

Bryan Hoffner
01-02-2007, 05:07 AM
Electric is the rapala 110 volt. It does the job but overall I rate it on the low end of filleting knives. I've went through a few and when one goes bad I'm usually in the middle of sliceing and dicing so I just go to the local store here and buy a new one cause I need it now. I seem never to remember to order a better model when I have one that's running.
As far as my non electric model I last year on the advice of a few friends purchased a Cutco brand fillet knife. it has a blade that can be adjusted from 6 to 9 inches. Now with a few fishing and hunting season under it's belt I have yet had to sharpen it. It has saw alot of filleting and meat processing and I've yet to think about putting it on a sharpening device. my last few that I have owned (still have them in reserve just in case) I had to constantly keep them sharpened.

Old School Dave
01-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Gilligan,
I tried a couple of American Angler and burned them out,just the opposite of what happened to you.

carl milks
01-03-2007, 09:52 PM
You're right Bryan- I forgot to mention the Cutco. That adjustable blade is fantastic and what I really like about it is the rubber handle w/finger grip, even when wet and fish slimey, it's easy to hang onto. I have had to sharpen mine a few times now, but it also takes and keeps an edge for a long time. Besides- it's locally made (Olean, NY). Very good surgical steel in the blades and very flexible. Only drawback is they are a tad expensive- but you get what you pay for.

Bryan Hoffner
01-04-2007, 05:01 AM
Yep you're right carl "LOCALLY MADE AND QUALITY"
thanks for bringing that up, i realized I forgot to mention that last night as I was using mine. We just don't get to hear and see that enough around here anymore.

And yes you get what you pay for. I wonder if the new Wal Mart here in Warren will carry them. "NOT"