PDA

View Full Version : Best Smallmouth Stream in Pa.

Action
01-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Any small waters holding lunker smallies ? :D I'm getting a chance to fish Western Pennsylvania some this year and was hoping to do some catch and release smallie fishing from the bank or canoe.

flipper
01-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Action the Shenengo river is very good but the Mahoning river here in Yougstown wich boredrs western Pa. is awsome .It is full of evrything smallies ,largemouth,walleye,pike,and huge musky.My buddy fishes the mahoning every year,he has caught 5# smallies and largemouths,9#walleye,and pike over 40" and has lost some muskies even bigger.I just got a canoe so I'm anxious to give it a try.The best thing is it has very light fishing pressure and most of the fish have never seen lures.The problem is it has high mercury levels so its all catch and release :sad2:

Action
01-11-2007, 09:55 PM
I've been trying to talk your dad into one of those Mahoning canoe trips for years.

Grizzly Gary
01-11-2007, 10:31 PM
The Conewango Creek as well as the Brokenstraw Creek both hold smallies. Both are bank fishing type streams. I got to tell ya Action that your best best is to float the Allegeheny from the Dam down. It's an excellent ride as well as good fishing!

Grizzly Gary

Will_S
01-11-2007, 11:14 PM
French Creek anywhere from Cambridge Springs down to Franklin PA. Best if floated by canoe but many areas where you could wade from. Excellent smallmouth fishing with BIG walleye potential and northern pike thrown in too.

flipper
01-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Action get a hold of me this spring my friend lives in Lowelleville we can park one car there and one where we want to stop.If you have a Pa. lic. we could float all the way to Newcastle Pa. He will give me some of his hotspots.

Bryan Hoffner
01-12-2007, 05:01 AM
Just here verifying the Conewango Creek (canoe accesable for alot of it to, you'll get places you can't get wading)

Also the Brokenstraw alot of easy access and miles of stream to fish.

The Allegheny Rive rmid to late summer all the way into the fall and the further south you go from Warren the hooter it gets.

The French Creek where Will S is speaking of, WOW is all I can say.

Lunkers in all these places.

I have done only minimal amounts of fishing in these areas for smallies myself but have numerous freinds and fishing aquantances that live for smally fishing in these areas every year. I get to hear all the Tall Tails. Out of all these places mentioned The upper Conewango Creek is my personal favorite. You'll be one of maybe only 2 people in in large stretches. You might even run into me looking for bait to go eyeball fishing.

Action
01-12-2007, 05:33 AM
The Allegheny Rive rmid to late summer all the way into the fall and the further south you go from Warren the hooter it gets.

I'll head south for the hooter fishing. :P Conewango has some launch issues, I heard that you can't put in by the dam at the school anymore. I will be fishing the Allegheny from President to Emlenton in June which will allow me to also dabble in the lower French Creek area, that trip is etched in stone. I was wondering about Tionesta below Chapman and south of there, does anybody smallie fish this area ?
Flipper, your on for a Mahoning float anytime. Whichever area you find to be best sounds like a winner to me.

Bryan Hoffner
01-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Huh, I guess I see where my mind was at this morning and it was apparantly not on fishing.

Gilligan
01-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Action...

Sure it dosent fit your bill as it is a ways away but the Susquehenna River south of Williamsport all the way thru Harrisburgh is top notch. (as well as alot of walleye) Also the Juniata River near the same area is excellent. Both work for bank fishing canoes or small engine boats.

The Driftwood Branch of the Susquehenna when I was a kid was unbelievable. Limit of 6 smallies usually never took more than a half hour of 12-18" fish. That ended after the flood of '72 when the stream was severly damaged and never recovered. Still alot of fish just no size.Holes that used to be 15-20' deep now run 2-4' deep because of severe erosion and gravel filling them up. One hole we swam in had a huge rock had to be 15' out of the water is now lucky to be 3' above water.

AFISHN
01-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Question:never fished mahoning,Conewango,or French---it sounds like a canoe is a must to fish them.

I have a 12ft PanYan Cartopper that I use to float streams.The pluses: it's stable,light 40#, vry comfortable,and has a 400# capacity,& I can put a small3HP motor on it and power up to some places.

The question is in it's negative:it doesn't handle/respond as quickly as a canoe on faster water.Do you think I can get away with the cartopper vs a canoe on the above named waters?

Will_S
01-25-2007, 09:36 PM
I will say yes on French Creek IF the water level is at a summer flow. You may have to pull the boat through shallow rapids from time to time. However, it may be moving too fast for your boat if the water level is up a bit.

AFISHN
01-26-2007, 07:15 AM
Thanks Wil_S. Appreciate it.