PDA

View Full Version : Ice in 2 weeks

Ed Yohe
01-13-2007, 11:42 AM
It looks as though we may get some ice after all this year. Sure hope so, been aching to go. Plus I still want to see this upside-down pike Filleting that Linda O keeps bragging about that she can do!

Ed Yohe

carl milks
01-13-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm with you Ed!!!! On both counts!! After last year's fiasco with no ice, then THIS year too- I don't even know where any of my gear is. Besides, I got a new technique I want to try out this year- drilling holes "sideways" instead of "backwards"- hey if Linda can filet pike upside down........

Grizzly Gary
01-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Guys I think we are in trouble. I am beginning to think we will not have ice on Kinzua this year. It's going to have to get awful cold and awful fast.

I think there is still time for Chautauqua and also the smaller lakes like Chapman. I would say Erie is also borderline at best.

Crazy year!

Grizzly Gary

Swanny
01-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Grizzly is right. Kinzua may not freeze unless it gets very cold fast and stays cold for a couple weeks . Had the boat on the zoo yesterday and the surface temperature was 40.1 degrees.

Bryan Hoffner
01-15-2007, 04:50 AM
If it does freeze quick here I doubt I'll be on that ice. I've thought about it and by looking how muddy that water is and rain all weekend and was pooring again on my way to work this morning it isn't going to get cleaned up.
I've never done worth a crap on the zoo ice fishing in muddy water. I'll be heading north to chatauqua if this is the case.

Ed Yohe
01-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Brian,
If lake is muddy when ice is on, try finding an inlet stream, it clears up around them pretty quickly, I have done well in these conditions using that tactic. the bigger fish usually like those areas better especially later in the season cause they warm up the fastest as well.

Ed Yohe

Ed Yohe
01-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Carl,
you always have to go the opposite direction from everyone else don't ya? lol.
If you figure out how to do that, you may have something, but I think you are just trying to " one-up" Linda and steal her moment in the sun, lol. I don't think she is going to take this lying down. ( well maybe upside down? )

Bottoms up,

Ed Yohe

Grizzly Gary
01-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Looks to me Ed like you may have to reasess you choice of dates for Kinzua Ice!

Grizzly Gary

Ed Yohe
01-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Gary, oh ye of little faith!!! it may still happen, the beaver ponds are already frozen over in the "Creek". I may have to drill a hole in one of them just to say I got on the ice, but there is still time, I am hoping we have some in at least the backs of the bays by the end of next weekend.

Ed Yohe

Linda O
01-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Gary Gary Gary,
How 'bout it Eddy, these guys on the 'other side of the lake' have no faith in the powers of mother nature. They are ready to give up the ice already!! Have no fear the great Quaker pike slaying is near!! Bring your fillet knives, gafs and cameras and join the club of the Quaker-boys and Quakerettes, or just stay home and wait for the ice on the Zoo with the rest of the Mud-doggers!!

Come join lraC (that's Carl to the rest of us) Ed and myself in about 9 days most as long as it stays below freezing and little wind the water will tighten up!! Let's do a little upside-down techniques Griss, (private showing!!)

Linda O
Tips-up or Tip-ups?

Grizzly Gary
01-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Not a question of faith O Linda of O's! I am hoping you are correct. I would love to spend time with all you Quaker-kooks on the hard water chasing those toothy critters!

Keep me posted as I am ready to go!

Grizzly Gary

Swanny
01-21-2007, 12:46 PM
[quote="Linda O"]Gary Gary Gary,
"How 'bout it Eddy, these guys on the 'other side of the lake' have no faith in the powers of mother nature. " Not that I have no faith in mother nature I have been enjoying being one of about 6 boats on the reservoir! Bring on the ice! Fishin is fishin.

Ed Yohe
01-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Hey O,
I hate to say it but I predicted ice in two weeks, and that was on the 13th, It looks good for the end of this week. Kinda scary I got one right huh? lol. With the cold snap thurs and fri it should be good . Do ya think we should show Gary the " honey hole" on quaker or just send him down to the garbage boom by the spill way where he would feel more at home?

Bottums up!

Knocking the dust off the tip-ups as we speak

Ed Yohe

Linda O
01-23-2007, 08:03 AM
Eddy, don't knock the dust off, those pike don't care!! You know that! Oops there goes another secret.

Linda O

Grizzly Gary
01-23-2007, 10:04 PM
I love fishing garbage booms! Them Banjo Minnows work like a champ there. I would also like it very much if Linda O. would be willing to share her "Honey Hole" with me. Nothing like a fishing friend sharing their sweet spot! :roll: :wink: :shock: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grizzly Gary

Ed Yohe
01-24-2007, 07:20 AM
I went down to check the ice last night at willow bay. the lake is froze all the way across except for a 5oo ft circle right at the boat launch. Back of the bay looks good and so did state line bay. I will be fishing somewwhere this weekend, if not back of one of the bays, then quaker. The game is on!!

Bottoms up,

Ed Yohe

Ed Yohe
01-25-2007, 06:53 AM
Hey O,
I am going fishing tomorrow. May go after walleye tomorrow, but sat sounds good to hit Quaker. Don't know if you have your res license yet, but let me know. I will get some bait tonight, and depending how that goes, will determine if it's walleye or pike tomorrow. I took off til next tues so will be fishing all weekend. Let me know which day or days ya wanna go. Maybe if we write a nice letter to the mayor, Carl may be allowed to go with us! lol. Gary if ya wanna hit quaker one day, just let me know. Linda said you can go fish at the " Honey-Hole" but you would have to go in blindfolded, as she says you get too " loose lipped" after a few gray gooses, lmao.

Ed Yohe

Grizzly Gary
01-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Would love to join you and that hottest of Bait Babes Ed but I will be busy at Winterfest all weekend. Please take photos of Linda O.s upside down nude Pike filleting technique and post here for all to enjoy. LOL!

Grizzly Gary

Ed Yohe
01-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Gary,
Do I need to have the camera upside down for that or no? I was going to let Carl take the pics but every time he does it just gets a pic of his face cause he always holds the camera backwards!

Ed Yohe

Grizzly Gary
01-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Don't much care what position the camera is in. I just care about what position Linda O. is in! :shock: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

What's the word on Quaker ice?

Grizzly Gary

Linda O
01-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Griss, as of Sunday Quaker, where we like was not good. Eddy called it a little spongy much like his midsection, yet. should tighten up soon though!! keep you posted to keep you safe!!!

There have been ice animals spotted in front of State Line over the wknd, and just off the Ramp at Willow. don't know the conditions nor the success. Be careful and check for yourself. We've all waited this long what is a few more days!!

Don't worry Gary Ed said he'd take pictures of the 'great pike fillet' thingy for you!!
Remember Griss to always protect yourself against chapped lips while ice-fishing.....
Linda O

Ed Yohe
01-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Gary,
as my semi-mental friend Linda said, sat the ice on Quaker was not good. only about 1 1/2 inches once you got out from shore 30 feet and was spongy. I did stop back at the Willow Bay boat launch and they were fishing right next to the launch. Ice was anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 inches couldn't get out very far. I went throguh up to my knee about 35 yards out only 1 inch thick. Should be able to get on it now. There is a guy who stopped by the house this morning and was heading out to Sapkos. Said he would give me a report later. They didn't catch much by the launch sat, a couple pike and a few perch. I will be going later this week, will keep ya posted. Was going to take Linda, but Futures wouldn't let her have the day off!

Ed Yohe

Grizzly Gary
02-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Looking forward to your updates Ed. Thanks so much for posting them here.

Linda O. one thing I can say for sure is that my lips are always soft & suple. How about yours? :lol:

Grizzly Gary

Summers
02-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Does anyone know how thick the ice is now on the zoo? Is it safe? I was planning on going this Saturday but this guy doesn't step on the ice until it's good and thick. A friend of mine wants to try around Devils Elbow but i'm kind of leary... Any info will help

02-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Kinzua ice scares me period! Had more bad experiencs than good ones and with all the rain we had..... YIKES!! Griz, if its pike you want to play with,me,Hitman,Freedom and the rest of the gang head to Clear Lake In Sparty.Last year we couldn't get out only once because of the lack of ice but the last day we fished {a few days before the season ended} we caught 31 pike in 5 hours and all but 2 were legal.All were 24-31 inches.Not huge but always alot of fun and we always have the grill goin with deer sausage,steaks,goose jerky and of course Rolled Gold Pretzel Rods!! Looks like maybe next week we can venture out.Our contact down there will let us know if we can get on the ice yet or not.With the cold desending upon us from now till next weekend,it looks like it may be a "GO".maybe i'll see ya In Harrisburg tomorrow.We need to talk!!! :D

Bryan Hoffner
02-02-2007, 05:04 AM
Heard of guys fishing all around the zoo. Still no traveling all over by the sounds of it.
Have a buddy that went for the polar Plunge down in Roper Thusday afternoon. Overall I still haven't heard of any real great ice. Especailly for us spare tire carrying fishermen.
By the sounds of it SUMMERS, stay home and work on that spare tire. That's what I'm doing.

Summers
02-02-2007, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the advice Hoff, doesn't sound like this guy will be on the zoo this weekend......

John Lorenzo
02-02-2007, 07:08 AM
I don't know how thick the ice is on our end of Kinzua, but it was frozen from Kiasutha down as far as I could see past Chapel and there were quite a few guys out on it last Sunday. I'm sure the Kinzua arm will be more than safe this weekend.

carl milks
02-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Drove by Chappel area Saturday and on return trip late today, saw 8 vehs parked along roadway and could see several huts out on the lake, so it must be fairly safe now. Wanted to try it out, but due to prior commitments, I was on the road instead. Maybe next weekend!!!