PDA

View Full Version : Erie's still HOT!

Sluggo / NY
08-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Sunday was dead calm and 95 degrees.. really HOT! Oh.. the fishing's still hot too! We fished out of Barcelona Thursday thru Sunday and picked up limits each day except for Sunday (we only fished for 4 hours and were 2 shy). Biggest fish was just 9 pounds, except for a 17 pound laker that we hit when we wandered out over 100 feet. I let "Bobber" handle that one.. lots of fun to watch! The fish were everywhere, but we did best in 75 feet of water just east of the harbor. For a change, the downriggers really produced! Dipsy's and leadcore off the boards also worked well. Pretty much a split between worm rigs and Renoski's. Be back out there soon..I hope! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Grizzly Gary
08-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the report Sluggo! Getting FANTASTIC reports from Cleveland to Dunkirk! Slaying them everywhere you go.

Grizzly Gary

Gilligan
08-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Sunday was dead calm (Chris)

Sluggo...you and Bobber are sooo good at picking big blow days for Erie I decided not to even show up to fish!! NOW.........tell us about Thursday, Friday and Saturday...6-8'ers I bet!!

Sluggo / NY
08-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Fred..You're right.. we do know how to pick em! Let's see... Thursday was just a 3-4 foot walleye chop. A bit bumpy, but fishable. Friday got a bit nasty.. the afternoon thunderstorms moved in along the shoreline and pounded the harbor, but we opted to stay out since the storms were along the shore and we were 6 miles out.. figured there was no sense in running in to them! We barely got damp out there.. but it did get a bit rough.. probably 6 footers. Saturday was strange.. We had 4 to 5 foot swells, but very little surface chop, so it was still fishable. Don't know where all the other boats went, but we did great! I'll warn you when we head back out so you can make plans around it! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Grizzly Gary
08-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Spoke to a ton of Erie Charter Captains and a few everyday Erie anglers.

ERIE IS HOT HOT HOT !!!!!!!!!!!

Just CRUSHING the eyes and getting some nice trout also.

If you EVER planned on spending the bucks for an Erie Charter, NOW is the time to do it.

www.fortunecharters.com Capt. Paul Dreher

www.castawaycharters.net Capt. Fred Forsythe (Gilligan)

Seachin Charters Capt. Dan Dietzen 716-672-9188

Seacin Charters had a 5 man limit by 11:30 am on Friday plus a couple of trout. Just hung up with Capt. Fred of Castaway Charters and his clients also slammed them. Capt. Paul of Fortune Charters told me he hasn't had a non limit day in weeks!!

From Cleveland Ohio to Dunkirk New York the bite is HOT!

Grizzly Gary

08-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Fished with a friend out of Dunkirk on saturday. We had a two man limit by noon. Runnin willow blade harnesses in 90 ft of water. erie reall is good this year.

john

Grizzly Gary UL
08-08-2006, 11:32 AM
The Bait Babe just called me from Northeast. She is out on Erie right tis minute. They have 5 eyes and one Steelhead in the boat. They are currently dealing with 5 footers which the Bait Babe tells me is fun!

That's our Bait Babe!!!

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary UL
08-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Fished out of Lampe Marina, Erie Pa. Thurs.,Sat., and Sunday. We brought approx. 75 Walleyes to the boat. Just unbelievable! Erie is no doubt HOT! HOT! HOT!

Grizzly Gary

08-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Live in Dunkirk Ny and have got a limit on erie almost all the times we have fished. They say this should last for years to come. do you think it will. Just wondering evrybodys thinking.

Gilligan
08-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Live in Dunkirk Ny and have got a limit on erie almost all the times we have fished. They say this should last for years to come. do you think it will. Just wondering evrybodys thinking.

Yep, and thats the setiment the NY DEC has. They predict at least next 8 years to be top notch!

firemedic3314
08-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Me and a buddy got out on Erie out of Dunkirk Wed. evening....launched at @6pm.....pulled the boat out at 9pm....actually fished from 630 til 815...both of us limited out.....5 20 " ers, 1 5 lb'er, 1 6 lb'er and one 8 lb'er. Straight out from Dunkirk Power plant....not sure how far...but we ran wide open throttle for 18 minutes to get back in...lake was smooth as glass....couldnt believe it....lost 6 fish at the boat...leaders snapped...awesome fishing....using hatchet blades and meat off Dipsy's...104 " of H2O. Once the sun set....the harness'es stopped producing...got 2 fish immediately on a mirror renosky. Cant wait to get back.

firemedic3314ul
08-30-2006, 02:05 PM
any recent reports for Lake Erie? Went last Wednesday....only rought home 3 fish....lost 3 more at the boat....seems like they are scattering more than schooling....we were out from Dunkirk....got word that closer to silver Creek is a better bet. any one doin any good?

Grizzly Gary
09-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Castaway Charters Capt. Fred Forsythe ( aka Gilligan ) tell me things have slowed slightly on Erie this past few days. He has a Charter scheduled for tomorrow so he will post a report if he gets out. Supposed to be pretty crappy.

Grizzly Gary

carl milks
09-11-2006, 08:24 PM
A buddy & I went out of Barcelona Friday (9-8). A bit rough with the predicted "SW" winds, that were more Westerly, about 3-4's then got rougher, with 5-6 rollers. It was tough but we double limited finally. Biggest was an 8 lber, the rest were just nice "eaters" @ 20-22 inches. We found them in 85 ft of water, hanging around 35-40 ft. Some really huge schools, but trolled over thousands to catch the 15 we got. Had one real good one on, never got to see it, but it broke off my 20 lbs leader. Felt like I hooked a truck-would like to have at least seen it. Incidently, I've heard several people saying that they (NYSDEC) raised the daily limit-is this true? I hope not.

firemedic3314ul
09-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Yes...it is true...as of Oct 1, 2006...daily limit will be 5 walleye...15" minimum.

Gilligan
09-12-2006, 05:16 AM
A buddy & I went out of Barcelona Friday (9-8). A bit rough with the predicted "SW" winds, that were more Westerly, about 3-4's then got rougher, with 5-6 rollers. It was tough but we double limited finally. Biggest was an 8 lber, the rest were just nice "eaters" @ 20-22 inches. We found them in 85 ft of water, hanging around 35-40 ft. Some really huge schools, but trolled over thousands to catch the 15 we got. Had one real good one on, never got to see it, but it broke off my 20 lbs leader. Felt like I hooked a truck-would like to have at least seen it. Incidently, I've heard several people saying that they (NYSDEC) raised the daily limit-is this true? I hope not.

Carl...present daily limit is 4 per angler. 2 guys and 15 walleye?

As Firemedic says, Oct 1st they go back to 5.

Gilligan
09-12-2006, 05:22 AM
Gary...

We fished Friday and Saturday. Friday was the best day with limits and several good fish. Came off early as client was sea sick.

Saturday a friend and retired trooper from Syracuse came down. When he realized he was comming to Bucky country he had his loaded .357 along and suggested we go hunting rather than fishing. I opted for fishing as walleye dont shoot back!

We fished on and off getting run to harbor with t storms. Only managed 6 to the box and dropping several.

I dont have a trip up planned now till the 23rd unless a booking comes in.

carl milks
09-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Gilligan, I suppose I SHOULD clarify- 15 'eyes landed, kept 8. We each had 3 in box, releasing the rest hoping for bigger, my last one was the 8 lber, partner's last was another 20"er. Also, admittedly, we were both a bit queezy after the rough seas, my first at ever feeling that way.

Gilligan
09-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Gilligan, I suppose I SHOULD clarify- 15 'eyes landed, kept 8. We each had 3 in box, releasing the rest hoping for bigger, my last one was the 8 lber, partner's last was another 20"er. Also, admittedly, we were both a bit queezy after the rough seas, my first at ever feeling that way.

It was a bit bumpy! Would have loved to chase some bigger eyes and a couple trout for the smoker but when the 8th hit the box the sea sick crew issued orders for shore! We had 2-6# fish and the rest of them 20" 'runts' .

Grizzly Gary
09-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the reports Carl and Gilligan. Sounds like you guys had a good Walleye Chop out there! :lol:

Hey Carl, are you also "Wrong Way Carl" on Erie??? LOL!!!

Gilligan says there is still good fishing time left. Fish with him and you will have fun as well as land fish.

www.castawaycharters.net

Grizzly Gary

carl milks
09-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Naw Gary, I go the RIGHT Way on Erie!!! I don't have splashguards high enough to handle that "chop" on Friday!!!!! It just feels strange going forward!!! And, I don't catch as many fish going the "right way". So I guess you can say or call me "Bassackwards Carl".

Gilligan
11-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Naw Gary, I go the RIGHT Way on Erie!!! I don't have splashguards high enough to handle that "chop" on Friday!!!!! It just feels strange going forward!!! And, I don't catch as many fish going the "right way". So I guess you can say or call me "Bassackwards Carl".

So Carl...when you go bassackwards do you catch bass or walleye? I'm thinking bass or it would be walleyeackbackwards. :P

carl milks
11-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Hi Gilligan- betcha can't say that one three times!!!!! Never thought of it, but that probobly IS correct!!!