PDA

View Full Version : WHITE PERCH IN THE ZOO!

Grizzly Gary
01-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Have heard from more folks who say they are catching small White Perch on the Zoo. I certainly believe Carl Milks & Doug Yohe on this. I have yet to catch one.

I have heard the gambit regarding these agressive little eaters. Some love'em and love to eat'um. Others hate and despise them as nothing but a voracious eating pest.

I have eaten them and found them quite tasty. I have also been terrorized by them on Chautauqua and not able to get a single bait in the water past them. From live bait to any size jig or lure they attack them all.

What do ya think guys & gals?

Grizzly Gary

carl milks
01-18-2007, 08:44 PM
To "prove" they're in the Zoo, remember last DAV tourny? When up to the scales to weigh my walleyes, I brought one of the white perch in to show they are here. The emcee had me hold it up and they put it on display. I've caught them on Lake Erie for years, so I know what they look like. They are considerably different than white bass. To have these voracious little "mini-sharks" get a stronghold on the Zoo is going to be disastrous to say the least. I urge everyone who catches any to do what Ferb & I did last year- tweak them on the head and hold in boat til they dry out and then toss back for the gulls, ospreys and eagles, or take home and bury.

Papa_d
02-11-2007, 09:29 PM
If I'n not mistaken; arn't these white perch you speak of are the same as our "Lake Michigan" Lake Perch... If thats so; I tell you they are the best eaters I've ever caught, fried, and ate. These are commonly caught along our channel walls and in very deep holes in Muskegon lake. I usually catch a few stray while fishing for Yellow perch and Bluegills. I combine all species togeather for "Unforgettable" fish fries. Dennis/Papa_

carl milks
04-07-2007, 09:35 PM
I was talking to my sometimes partner Tom from Oil City today, he has "ins" with the biologists at Tionesta Hatchery/lab. He mentioned we had caught a few up here on the Zoo & the biologist wants as many samples as we can send down. They want to analyze them to determine where/what water they came from, ect. He said under NO circumstances should we throw them back!!!! So, if anyone catches any this upcoming season, keep them (frozen is OK) & get them to me & I'll get them to Tionesta. Thanx.

Grizzly Gary
04-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Wont get any arguements from me about not throwing them back. I fear that once in they are here to stay and will turn into the same nusiance they are on Chautauqua.

Wonder how they got here. Natural or Nugget Head?

carl milks
05-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Wanted to get this back to top. Tom & I got one Saturday during the St Jude tourny. He took it back with him to give to biologists. Anyone else gets any during the DAV, bring 'em back & I'll see they get shipped to Tionesta. They don't need to be kept alive, just on ice is fine. All sizes welcome. Thanx in advance. Carl

John Lorenzo
05-17-2007, 05:13 AM
carl when the biologists determine where they came from , any chance of getting a report? I'd love to know what they think happened.

carl milks
05-17-2007, 07:36 AM
John, most certainly I'll let everyone know anything I find out from them. I'm not sure what all info they can derive from examining these critters, but it's my understanding they might be able to tell where they came from, if they were born in Kinzua or elsewehere, ages, how long been in Zoo waters, ect. Be interesting to see what info can be provided.

Grizzly Gary
05-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Geez! Mighty Mike caught one Sunday at the KAWA DAV and threw it back. I had forgotten about this post.

I am moving this to General Fishing to make more folks aware of the situation.

Action
05-22-2007, 01:37 PM
We caught 3 on Saturday, I didn't know anything or we would have brought them in. We caught some big fat yellow perch and quite a few white bass too. The white perch looked to be spawning too. :cry:

carl milks
05-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Ferbie & I did'nt get any white perch Sat or Sun at DAV, but we did find alot of yellow perch & white bass. My buddy Tom who is in touch with the biologists in Tionesta, said he dropped off the one we brought in a couple wks ago. He said the bio told him it's in our best interest to kill 'em & toss 'em, but even then, they multiply like rats and he doubts we can do anything about it. He says "if they're there, you're stuck with them". They are very detrimental to fisheries- they prey largely on fish eggs & fry, & they especially love the taste of walleye eggs & fry!!! They (PFBC Bio's) are NOT happy they turned up in the Zoo!!! Now there's a concern on their part of what it will do to the walleye population. So, everyone who catches them- DON'T THROW THEM BACK ALIVE!!!! Feed them to the Osprey & Eagles or eat them yourself, just don't throw them back. Thanx.

Rian
05-29-2007, 02:29 AM
Gary, a couple of years ago the USACOE came out with a warning about white perch getting in to the lake. If I remember right, they had found some in some ponds up noth in NY State, and believed it would only be a matter of time before they made their way to Kinzua. Their advice is just what everybody is saying, eat them or whatever, just don't throw them back in alive.

Rian