PDA

View Full Version : RODS & REELS. WHAT DO YOU PAY FOR THEM?

Grizzly Gary
01-22-2007, 08:37 PM
I buy lots of rods & reels each year. The most I ever spent on a reel was $150. The most I ever spent on a rod was $100. I for one am brutal on equiptment.

What about you? What do you spend on rods & reels for the fishing you do?

Does more money equal a better rod & reel combo? What's the most you ever spent?

Please share your rod & reel advice with us.

Grizzly Gary

hunterdeneugene
01-22-2007, 09:08 PM
The most I have ever spent on a rod was $150.00. It is a Berkley Series One #4 wt fly rod. I am getting ready to spend some serious coin on a G Loomis rod for salmon and steelhead, just have to figure out what I want. Full life time warranty.

Mighty Mike
01-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Grizzly i remember that Fleuger Reel and St croix rod you bought. If i remember right it lasted to the second turny before you had one of your fits and smashed it in the bottom of the boat. i seen this man do away with a lot of rods and reels that way. The best was when he threw the one out of the boat. Grizzly is turny intense.

mike

treerat
01-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Iget mine for free .Thanks Gary
Actually I have begun to get into the better rods the last few years . My most expensive rod is a fly rod .If I remember right it was near $100 . I picked up a real nice ultralite last year used .If new it would have cost close to $100 I paid $35. Reels I still like my Abu cost about $35 . I like the actions of the graphite rods just alot more feel than fiberglass .

Grizzly Gary
01-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Listen oh big tall & dumb tournament partner of mine you are all wrong! Those rods & reels have accidentally slipped out of my hands during those events. You are at the back of the boat looking backwards. (A lot like backwards Carl !) You just have been looking in the wrong direction and when you hear me using colorful language you just think I threw that rod down.

I swear i have never smashed a rod, kicked the boat, threw my tackle box, punched the trolling motor or any of those other things that you tell gullible ears. I am a cool calm and collected angler.

I find the Okuma reels ( $50) and the Gander Mountain Tournament Series Rods ($30-$50) well suited to my style of fishing.

Grizzly Gary

carl milks
01-23-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm quite partial to the Bass Pro Bionic Blade series rods. I have numerous of casting, trolling and spinning. I learned a long time ago, there is no substitute for a quality rod. These rods are so sensitive, you can feel a jig tap bottom in 25 ft of water. I can usually feel if a leaf is on my trollers. Can feel a 1/4 oz spoon fluttering in the current, No comparison to those off the shelf K-Mart limber "rods", even for hooksetting the quality rod is far better. Yeah, they cost more ($79.95 on sale often @ $59.95), but you get what you pay for. Reels, same thing: buy junk and bit** about all the line tangles, ect. I use Quantum spin and cast reels, have tried numerous others but like these the best. No line twist or breakdowns.

ratherbhuntin
01-23-2007, 11:14 PM
The most ive spent is 50 on a reel and 40 on a rod. No need to spend lots of money because you know what im going to run it into a tree, the ground, the bottom of the stream, or some other object trying to crawl through brush tog et set up on some stream jsut to catch a 9 inch brookie.

Outdoorsman
01-23-2007, 11:22 PM
This is funny. I looked over the title of this thread and thought one thing. Its not about the price of the package you fish with, its about what you can do with the knowledge you have. I will take my ugly stick and my shimano reel , and out do many. 10% of the fishermen, catch 90% of the fish,it is very true.

Will_S
01-24-2007, 05:11 AM
Muskie casting reels the most is $150. Muskie casting rods is $75. My walleye reels about $50 and my walleye rods about $50. Trout rod and reel spinning combos no more than $40.

Bryan Hoffner
01-24-2007, 05:55 AM
$200 to $250 wrapped up in each walleye rod/reel combo. Next round of investing will go above $300 for each combo. Don't need this next round right now but the little boy in me wants to update each rod that little bit. A little different length and sensitivity. It's more out of want more than need. On the boat I travel with 6 rods just for myself at all times during spring and summer. then there's the extra trolling rods for the guests. Turns into a mess alot.

St. Croix and GL Lommis rods are the way to go for me. I have actually went without replacing a rod for a while now from me breaking them.

Willow Creeker
01-24-2007, 02:45 PM
I can remember fishing with a top of the line fenwick and custom made poles when I was a kid for bucktails, but used cheeper stuff for live bait riggin.

A few years ago when I decided to get serious about walleye fishing, I purchased my first St. Croix - WOW!!!

That was the best $80.00 plus dollars I ever spent!!!

Two years later I had the oportunity to join either the St. Croix team or the G.LOOMIS team, I used a friend of mines G. LOOMIS, and my decision was an easy one.

I am proud of what I have been able to do for / with my relationship with St. Croix, and have never looked back.

Myself, Sue, Jim Smith, Steve sherk (1) we all run St. Croix legend elites in my boat.

They are the finest commercially boughten rod I have ever used.
I run 2 St. Croix reels, 4 Shimano Stradic Reels, And 2 Shimanno Stelas fb. (I am on the shimano team)

I would say the combos range (list price) $425.00 - $800.00.

I have 1 custom rod made by Jack Ulrich, WOW, this is made from the St. Croix elite blank with customized "FITTED" wood handle, rod & reel combo (hold your breath) list for $1,200.00.

Is it worth the money, "YES"!!!!!

How much do you spend on you rifles that you " USED " to be able to shoot a feww dear with a cuople weeks a year? How many hours do you fish?

How much do you spend on booze, cigarettes, snuff, hunting cloth's, marine electronics,etc.

The fishing pole won't give you bad breath, bad teeth, cancer, DUI'S, ETC.

Do I need these quality rods to catch fish, no.

Has it helped me in my fishing carreer, I will let my fishing resume answer that.

Is there really that big of a difference using a quality rod, ask sue.

If you are a serious angler or anglerette you owe it to yourself.

Buy a St Croix legend elite with part of your tax return, and then please buy me a ****tail everytime you see me because the cat is now out of the bag, and it will be that much harded to cash a check for Sue and I. :lol: :lol:

As always, anyone wanting to try one give me a shout.
This offer is not for the week of heart. Once you feel what you have been missing, it will be devastating. :)

Tom Means