PDA

View Full Version : Voids between water and ice

Will_S
01-23-2007, 06:29 AM
Anybody ever witness this? Many have heard stories where the ice fisherpeople drilling holes at Kinzua find 3 - 10 ft of air between the ice and water. Others do not believe it and say the ice will settle as water levels fall. Seems this story is kinda like seeing mountain lions in PA! Plenty of stories but no hard evidence of this happening. Any first hand witnesses to this?? Got proof???

It would make a good MythBusters episode I think! :lol:

Old School Dave
01-23-2007, 06:50 AM
Over the years I've ice fished during high water levels and came back a couple of days later to find the ice all piled up,broken on the shoreline.
when they let out a lot of water the ice just sinks to the level of the water undeneath. It just breaks away on the shoreline .
I have after a thaw/freeze/rain/freeze hit small voids in the ice with my auger but no more than a inch.

Buck Master
01-23-2007, 07:13 AM
Ice (frozen water) is heavy. Much too heavy to hold its own weight suspended in the air above a body of water.

I think that some guy was ice fishing with a gullible kid one day, and made up that story just to scare the little guy.

Some folks also beleive that thunder and lightning are two separate things! :roll:

John Lorenzo
01-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Saw it one time, and it might have just been a foot if that

singleshot
01-23-2007, 08:24 PM
I don't believe that it could be possible for a section of ice with a span over 100 yards to support itself. I think that we should call the Myth Busters on this one and put it to rest once and for all.

Action
01-23-2007, 08:25 PM
I fished Deep Creek Lake in Maryland years ago when the gap went from about 3" to over a foot between the ice and water over a 4 day period. The ice was close to 30" thick that year. I see it up to 6" under the ice alot on my home lake.( Atwood )

carl milks
01-23-2007, 09:26 PM
I've ice fished the Zoo (& others) for 30+ yrs, have only seen minimal voids, no more than a couple inches & I think they were simply air pockets anyways. The before mentioned staements are correct: the ice on the body is so heavy, it follows the water depth down, breaking at the shorelines, (leaving that nasty slanted ice). One exception to this is if the ice suspends on an object, ie: a stump, rock, ect, then there is a gap between ice and bottom, but then there is no water under it as the water is drawn down so far to expose the stumps in the 1st place. The other end of the spectrum is when the water level rises; the ice follows it UP, breaking away from shore and leaving a gap between shore and ice (how many times we've come off at end of day to find this!!!) Then it's wading time, NOT pleasant in ice cold water. Another Myth Busted!!!!

Bill J
01-23-2007, 10:35 PM
I have heard this same story many times. I started ice fishing Kinzua in 1967 at places all the way from Red Bridge to Webb's Ferry and have never experienced a gap unless I drilled a hole near a rock or a stump. In those cases you will see a hump in the ice nearby and it would still be a very small gap.

In my drinking days when sitting at the bar someone would come in and start telling everyone that would listen, how he just came back in from fishing Kinzua, drilled a hole in the ice and it was 10 or so feet down to the water. Knowing that he would need money for drinks that night I would graciously plunk down a couple 20's on the bar and offer it to him, all he needed to do was take me back up to where this happened (I would drive) and show me this as I had never seen that. I never had a taker always some excuse as to why they could not go that day or the next and show me this marvelous feat....I never lost that sure bet...End of story

Carl...can remember those "last ice adventures on the Zoo" as the water was coming back up. One time of having to go into that freezing water you get smarter real quick. In the pick-up afew boards and an extension ladder to span that gap remembering to take the ladder and boards out on the ice so you can slide it across to shore on way off. Have even had to do this sometimes to get on the ice because of shore water. Were we nuts, you bet, did we have fun, you bet we did and at times that last ice was the best fishing of the year.

carl milks
01-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Bill, Oh how I remember those days!!! Young & foolish, we even layed a piece or two of driftwood logs to bridge that gap if we had forgot 2x4's- just to get on that deteriating, half rotten ice!! But yes, the fishing was generally good. At least that's the way we justified it back then. And also, we might be the ONLY one out there too- not until 1974-or75 do I remember starting to see people out there on the ice-it just was'nt heard off around here.

Bill J
01-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Yes Carl those were truly the days...70's and 80's. All the large Perch a guy cared to carry and Walleye in numbers, especially in the Webb's area. We also used to catch some big channel cats, throw in a Northern pike or two and the cook outs, out on the ice were a special treat.

Now I only ice fish in my dreams. Warm weather boat fishing is my in thing now. I think I spent to many winter days either fishing on the Zoo ice or on the river through the winter and Uncle Arthritis finally took it's toll on me. :(

carl milks
01-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Ah yes, the 10-12 inch perch by the BUCKETS- I had all but forgotten about them, and crappies the same way, oodles of big slabs, cats running 10-15 lbs!!! Many an evening spent on Willow & Sugar's shorelines with a lantern, sipping a senior soda (junior back then) with a creek chub on the bottom waiting for one of those "bulldozers" to grab and take off with it. And yes, me too, Uncle Arther(ritis) has indeed slowed me down, my knees just can't go as far or fast as they used to, but until I can't walk no more, I'm figuring on going and just walk as far as I can then set up- it's better than NOT going at all!!! Thanx for triggering some fond memories.

Bill J
01-24-2007, 11:03 PM
You are welcome Carl....Memories..Big cats reminded me of the time we were out on the ice and had real youngerster probably about 5 with us. Seven of us with tip-ups all over the place and catching perch. When a flag would fly we would yell to the youngester, flag up go get it. One time we sent him off to get a flag as we had others to tend. After awhile someone said hey the kid is still pulling on that line. We watched as the fight was on. After awhile he pulled about a 8lb. cat up on the ice. Having only landed perch most of the day before this we were sure suprised to see this big Cat fish come out of the hole, but when he saw it he thought it was a Shark and took off running to his Mom screaming all the way SHARK SHARK SHARK. Everyone out there that day had quite a laugh about that.