PDA

View Full Version : Name your top 3 rod/reel choices

Melissa
01-24-2007, 11:23 AM
With a Christmas gift certificate and soon, tax return money, I want to buy a new setup to fish Kinzua and Chautauqua waters. Just curious to find out what the top 3 choices are for rod/reel for fishing the Kinzua/ Chautauqua waters may be. Being a Lake Erie native, not all tackle is in-land lake friendly!

carl milks
01-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi Melissa, it all depends on what type of fishing (& species)- are you going to troll? Toss plugs? Jig for 'eyes? Generally speaking, there's a right tool for the job, you just have to figure what the job is going to be & go from there. There's a pretty broad spectrum of rods/reels out there, and some are species specific, tactic specific, ect. If you can narrow it down a bit, you'll get lots of answers here on this to help you out. Good luck!!!!

Melissa
01-25-2007, 01:48 PM
I was looking for more specifically for walleye that could be used for jigging. Then something ideal for Perch/ Crappie.
Then of course - what line is best?

carl milks
01-26-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm sure if you ask 10 differant people, you'll get 10 differant answers on choices of rods & reels. For a jigging rod, I prefer a 5 1/2- 6 foot light action rod, of IM6 -IM8 graphite, with a good grade matching spinning reel, spooled with 6-8 lbs mono (Stren). As for panfish, I love my ultra lite 5 1/2 ft IM8 spinning rod with an ultra lite Quantum spin reel, w/ 4-6 lbs mono. Others will be giving you their choices, then it's up to you to decide what you can afford and what to get. Good luck, this can be a mezmarising venture!!!!