PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your bow

Buckethead
08-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Stick and string guy here. Wheels and cams are automobile parts, not bow parts. :lol: I shoot a #57 @28" reflex/deflex longbow made by a very good friend of mine and I also still shoot my dad's old 1965 Ben Pearson #52 recurve. I never could get used to looking through a peep site and I prefer to feel the string leave my fingers instead of pulling a trigger on some contraption. If I forget my shooting glove at home, my day isn't ruined. I can still take an accurate shot at a deer with bare fingers. How many release shooters and pin and peep guys can say that? (Attn: compound guys, just some good natured ribbing. Don't get offended!) I've just always been drawn to traditional archery. I hunted as a young lad with my dad's recurve because that was all that was available to me at the time. At age 16 I got a compound but after two weeks of shooting it, put it up and went back to the recurve. My total kills with a trad bow stands at one groundhog and countless stumps. I usually hunt from the ground so getting a deer close enough for a shot w/o being detected is pretty difficult. I've missed two deer (from a treestand) and a spring gobbler from the ground (piece of root got between my lower limb and string when I canted the bow) I have many opportunities that I just couldn't close the deal on. I had a long hiatus away from bowhunting stopping when I went to college and not getting the opportunity to pick it back up for almost twenty years. This will be my third season back with the bow and I learn more and more with each hunt. I don't think I'll even pick up a rifle this year. I figure this is the year I totally commit myself to hunting deer with a bow, regardless if it is rifle or ML season.

treerat
08-09-2006, 09:36 AM
#1 bow is a Mathews Q2 xl set at 67# @28" .Got a trophy ridge site and a hha dropaway rest .release shooter .Many deer ,1squirrel ,1rabbit and 3woodchucks

#2 a wing recurve 50#@28 .Use a tab to shoot this one .Have not really hunted with this one yet . missed a wood chuck in back yard

#3 35# fiberglass recurve Use this one to teach neighbor hood kids

#4 25# fiberglass again kids bow

#5 just won this one 45# hoyt compound left handed . probably end up giving this one away when I find the right south paw kid real short draw length 22-24

firemedic3314
08-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Only bow is a High Country Split Force....74# draw weight...carbon shafts with 85 gr. Thunderheads....whisker biscuit rest...3 pin fiber optic sights...string peep...taken too many deer to remember with this bow...along with 4 turkeys ( fall), several rachits, a grouse and lots of woodchucks...oh and a lot of trees too :oops:

rattrapper
08-13-2006, 08:23 AM
My bow is in semi retirement. It is a Mountaineer. The kind that Dan Fitzgerald used to shoot. It has 1 pin and knows where the Boiler Room of a whitetail is. I suspect some day, it will get dusted off again. --------- But, I don't grobble for hunting ground. -------- I wait. ------ When the time is right. Then, I will bowhunt again. -------- rattrapper -------------- My father owns the cattle on a thousand hills.

08-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Mathews Ultramax as the current wheel bow, 3D Rover rest, 3 fiber optic pins @ 25, 35, 45 yards.......poundage is what it is after a supertune, somewhere around 67 or 68 pounds.

I home brew shafts outta 30 inch Easton 2413's, four inch vanes and 90 grain four blade Muzzy's......of course.

Made my own helical clamp for my Bitzenberger so to clear the rest prongs properly, nocks are indexed to the centerline of the bottom vane and the Muzzy's are indexed parallel and perpendicular to the string. Shootin' huntin' shafts mixed with field points to the same POA never don't work.................

Current stick bow is a just aquired Damon Howatt 55lb recurve, got a bit of set up to do to make it huntable, but when its ready it'll shoot from fingers.... tapered cedars fletched with real turkey feathers and pointed with Zewicky's.......of course.

I'm into blissful simplicity........................................ ....

darcher
08-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Of course as a Mathews dealer I shoot do even shoot their bows. At this time I do most of my shooting with the Switchback XT, Mathews drop away rest, Viper sight, Golgtip arrows tipped with Muzzy 90 gr. Lots of deer, one turkey, mule deer, caribou, rabbit, woodchuck---, even a 3-D target, they are tough to eat tho!!

BowbenderPA
09-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Buckethead,

Best leave those fish alone and get out with that longbow this weekend. I'm sitting here looking at my six recurves trying to figure out which one goes with me tomorrow. Think it will be the Blacktail and a quiver full of big boy arrows.

Haven't seen you hit lately on the Bowbender Website but Dawson, I and all the "manly men" of the Bowbenders have faith in ya. Let us know how you do. Any more comments from the neighbors while shooting from the garage roof?

BowbenderPA

treestandtimmy
09-30-2006, 09:10 AM
7 year old Golden Eagle 72# 32"draw (don't laugh) It still kills them like the rest. 31" easton XX78 2413's with 4"feathers (in white of course) and 100 gr Muzzy 3 blade. true glow sights with one pin, use a kisser button, but put it on the tip of my nose. No peep sight. And a true fire release.

Wild Wind Rob
10-17-2006, 01:38 PM
2003 Bowtech Extreme VFT 70# 27" Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter rest, HHA Triple Threat Sight, GWS Pro-Hunter peep, D2 Doinker Stabilizer, Paradox Wrist Sling, K3 Kwikee Quiver. Carbon Express Maxima 350 shaft with Burt Coyote Lumenok and 85 grain Grim Reaper Razortip Broadheads. Cobra Pro Caliper Release.

Grizzly Gary
10-17-2006, 10:55 PM
WWR, I absolutely love your detailed description of your bow! Sounds like a Corvette of bows. :lol: Looks like i'll have to take a photo of my 1985 AMC Pacer of bows and post it here for you all to laugh at. :lol:

Grizzly Gary

treestandtimmy
10-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Grizz I would say it's more like the Gremlin not the Pacer :lol:

Wild Wind Rob
10-18-2006, 12:37 PM
WWR, I absolutely love your detailed description of your bow! Sounds like a Corvette of bows. :lol: Looks like i'll have to take a photo of my 1985 AMC Pacer of bows and post it here for you all to laugh at. :lol:

Grizzly Gary

There's definitely nicer stuff out there. If you want to compare it to a Corvette, I guess it's about the equivalent of a C4. It's pretty nice and does the job, but it would be nice to have a C6 Blue Devil. :D

MR ED
10-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Don't knock the Pacer. Could go down the highway at 80+ and felt like 30. Wish I had another. Handeled curves like a Vet. Had 140k before it went south.

MR ED

Grizzly Gary
10-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Here's my relic of a bow:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6937/garysbowtx3.jpg

MR ED
10-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Looks just like mine. Must be an old "Proline". It still is a good bow. The bed looks just like mine too. Need some color to them thar sheets.

MR ED

Buckethead
10-20-2006, 12:45 PM
2003 Bowtech Extreme VFT 70# 27" Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter rest, HHA Triple Threat Sight, GWS Pro-Hunter peep, D2 Doinker Stabilizer, Paradox Wrist Sling, K3 Kwikee Quiver. Carbon Express Maxima 350 shaft with Burt Coyote Lumenok and 85 grain Grim Reaper Razortip Broadheads. Cobra Pro Caliper Release.

How many stations do you pick up on that thing? :lol:

Wild Wind Rob
10-20-2006, 02:58 PM
How many stations do you pick up on that thing? :lol:

The only sound I can get out of the thing is a sound like slapping a wet paper bag when the arrow hits the boiler room of it's intended target. Any experienced archery hunter knows the sound I'm talking about. :D

Grizzly Gary
10-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Wish my bow had tunes. Get's awful lonely & boring sitting in that tree sometimes. Really wish it had a cd player so I could listen to past shows! :lol:

My Silverhawk is probably just like the Taurus. Discontinued model!

Grizzly Gary

bucksnort
10-22-2006, 07:23 AM
I'm usually shoot a homemade 60" Osagel ongbow with cedar arrows, but after shutting it in my van door I found an old 45 lb. Bear Recurve which I harvested a 9 point last year.
I just harvested a10 point with 16 5/8" inside spread last nite with a homemade bamboo arrow and 2 blade Zewicky head. Deer walked past at 20 yards and the arrow went through both sides, but not a pass through. I'll post a pic later today.
You don't need wheels and cams to get nice bucks, just patience and skill to get a little closer!!!

PS Gary I hear Vodka makes a great cover scent!!

Grizzly Gary
10-24-2006, 03:08 PM
bucksnort,

Where is that pic? Would also love for ya to post a pic of that bow. Sounds like a neat stick & string.

Vodka does make a fine cover scent! :lol:

Congratulations on the buck. Them city deer aren't to hard to shoot when they are riding the bus are they? :lol:

Grizzly Gary

walleyebuster jr.
10-26-2006, 09:51 PM
i have a jennings carbon extreme entered the market some where in the 1990s it was givin to me by my uncle (who now shoots a mathews q2) so i did not have so spend must i saw an ungodly amount for a bow i have a tru glow 3 pin site some old 2 prong arrow rest i wanna say a quick tune but im not sure i shoot carbon arrows with hilaca fletched feathers im set at a 55 pound draw the length is bout 29 i belive and my broad head of choice is grim reaper expandables