PDA

View Full Version : Plastics vs. Live Bait for Ice Pan Fish

Grizzly Gary
01-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Have fished with both & had success with both. Which do you prefer for your ice Panfishing? Plastics or live bait.

Please share you rigging & jigging techniques with us.

Grizzly Gary

eyedoktr
01-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Gary, I like to start with plastics (Maki Plastics of course) only . If I am not catching fish and others are, I then will tip with a spike or two. The other day, I got my first few on plastic only but knew there were more fish down there than were biting. As soon as I put on a spike or two, I started to bang them fairly well.

I generally catch fewer but larger fish using just plastics.

01-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Grizz, I'm a jig and bait dunker.Depending on where i'm at and whats possibly swimming around down there,i try to target pan fish or i may have the other rod with something bigger.Like Chapman Dam, Everyone mostly targets trout but i have caught some huge perch so with those i'm jigging minnows on the bottom and Swedish Pimples tipped with or without small minnows or spikes just under the ice for trout.

Grizzly Gary
01-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Mad Dog I never much concentrated on Perch at Chapman. Might have to check that out.

I also think you get the bigger fish on platics but in less numbers. It's always so hard to be a little patient when folks are catching all around ya with live bait. Patience does provide larger rewards.

Really looking forward to trying those www.makiplastic.com on Chautauqua.

Grizzly Gary

01-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Griz, i only ever use one rod or tip up for perch because you'll get alot of them that are slightly larger than your bait.I guess thats good that they're reproducing.Also, caught a couple smallish large mouth bass too but i think they stocked a bunch years ago but i don't know if it was a one-shot deal or what. Heard on your show that a guy or two fell thru the ice this weekend.I checked a few of my places for beavers and ice fishing and none were ready for me to go tip-toeing across yet.

Grizzly Gary
01-29-2007, 01:34 PM
At Chapman it was Charlie Brants nephew that went thru the ice. We had interviewed him early in the morning as he was the 1st one on the ice. Myself,camera man and he and I must say it sure seemed a little shaky. He went thru in the afternoon. Luckily lots of folks there to help him out.

Grizzly Gary

Mighty Mike
02-01-2007, 01:09 PM
i like to use a small whit twister tail on a number 12 or 14 hook. Trying to get gary to share those makiplastic baits he showed me. They look real good. Bet they do good at chautauqua. What is a spike.

mike

02-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Mike, a spike is nothing more than a maggot.You can get them in a few colors too.They works great on pan fish and you can also tip a small jig with them for trout at Chapman Dam

Grizzly Gary
02-04-2007, 06:18 PM
OK even I have to ask this question. Why do you call maggots spikes??? They sure don't look like a spike! Just curious if you know.

Grizzly Gary

eyedoktr
02-04-2007, 08:06 PM
they're called "spikes" because the ones with tails are called "mousies". :D

Grizzly Gary
02-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks for making that perfectly clear eyedoktr! :lol:

Grizzly Gary

Grizzly Gary
02-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Will be testing those www.makiplastics.com at Erie tomorrow. Also will be fishing minnies & wax worms & maggots. Spikes & mousies! Will post results.

Grizzly Gary

makiplastic
02-09-2007, 09:05 PM
My phone must not be working Gary...... still waiting for the invite...... oh well I guess I will have to fish with doc. G when do you want to hit conesus?
Maki

Grizzly Gary
02-10-2007, 06:14 PM
I am sad to report that nothing worked for me yesterday. I caught some small Perch and a few Gills. Minnows did nothing for me. Plastics were the same. I got the fish I did using a small Chartreus glo jig tipped with maggots. I kept switching back & forth to the different baits.

We all struggled though putting a mere 20 gills in the bucket worth keeping. That's 3 guys fishing all day. Spoke to 1/2 dozen others on the ice and they were experiencing the same.

Maki will call tomorrow. www.makiplastics.com

Grizzly Gary