PDA

View Full Version : NIGHTCRAWLERS THRU THE ICE

Grizzly Gary
01-25-2007, 02:49 PM
I just had an interesting call. A guy will be doing an ice fishing demonstration and asked if I would call Pages Sporting Goods and ask them to donate some crawlers.

I have never in my life fished with crawlers thru the ice. Have you?

Grizzly Gary

eyedoktr
01-25-2007, 03:12 PM
The only time I saw crawlers fished thru the ice, my buddy caught about a 4# largemouth. That's reason enough for me not to use them. :D

Outdoorsman
01-25-2007, 04:01 PM
I have done it on a few ponds. Its been some time and have had good luck. I have not ice fished a while. My buddy got a nice almost six pounder threw the ice on a crawler. I have had my best luck on minnows for quanity,

NY-STR8SHOOTER
01-25-2007, 05:07 PM
Crawlers through the ice? Doesn't that mess up the taste of the Bourbon?

Bob G
01-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Gary, I'll let you know, I am going to try them this weekend on a lake that I am prefishing. The perch in this lake have frustrated me to a point I don't even know how to explain. The only thing I haven't tried for them is crawler and dynamite. If the Maki's plastic doesn't work the night crawlers will come out this weekend. Next weekend if the first two don't get it done then tournament day I am pulling out the weighted dynamite! lol
Seriously I will post my results on Monday.

Grizzly Gary
01-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Look forward to the reports Bob G. I have been asking this question to all anglers and they to a man/woman have said they never used crawlers thru the ice. Some laughed at me for even asking!

Grizzly Gary

Bob G
01-26-2007, 04:49 PM
I don't laugh at anything anymore when it comes to fishing. Typically when someone is catching fish and the others are not and the question asked is what are you using and the answer generally is something that is not being used by the ones not catching. I hope I said that right. So I try everything that I can before I rule it out.

carl milks
01-26-2007, 06:23 PM
I have tried crawlers thru the ice a few times- they work surprisingly well on perch, and not too bad on trout (Bfd Res, Quaker Lake), on the Zoo, I have never caught a walleye on them, but did get a couple muddogs. IF you can find a school of perch, they take them pretty readily, just using smaller pieces. Most all panfish will hit them in winter, just keep them from freezing!!!

Kinzua Man
01-28-2007, 06:09 PM
For trout and panfish you can not beat wax worms and maggots.

Kinzua Man

Bill J
01-30-2007, 11:04 PM
I had never used Crawlers through the ice until last year up on Chapman while fishing for trout. Like Kinzua Man I was wax worms, mealies,maggots and minnows.

An older friend of mine was out on the ice fishing that day about 20 yards from me. I had caught a couple trout but he was doing better than anyone else, so I walked over to ask, what are you using? He told me he had some crawlers left over from late fall fishing and decided to bring them up to try them just to get rid of them. He was cutting them up in pieces no bigger than the length of a meal worm or smaller and let me tell you he was hammering the trout. He gave me one Crawler (since he had only 2 left) and I started to have the same results. One crawler can go along way when cut up that small. I really think the secret was cutting them up in SMALL pieces as I have seen others try a whole crawler with little or no results.