PDA

View Full Version : Coudersport - Port Allegany - Eldred

Action
01-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Does anyone know if the river is cleared enough to canoe this section ? I'm concerned about fallen trees that maybe blocking the water in an area that can't be portaged. I would like to float that area in May during the DAV but I'm short on info. I can't find anyone who has floated it recently. If I win Grizzly's contest I won't get to float because I'll be fishing the Zoo instead. :D

Gilligan
01-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Are you looking just to canoe or canoe/fish? To me for bass/walleye/muskie the best stretch would be from Turtle Point (half way between P-A and Eldred to state line is best. From Coudersport to Port A is doable but you will get blow down or washed in trees, requires some work. I would suggest starting no further upstream than Reed Run (half way between Port A and Coudersport. Also above Port A you will have alot of irrate shore trout fisherman when running a canoe thru their fishin hole.

If its the fishing you are after also consider getting a Seneca license and float from Salamanca down to the 86 bridge where it becomes Kinzua.

Action
01-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Do you think that there will be alot of trout fishermen there in late May ? I don't want to anger anyone but I would like to float the Pa section. I like small stream fishing in the spring . Do you know anything about Potato Creek or the other one in Smethport, are they worth fishing ?

Gilligan
01-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Think you will see a fair amount of trout fisherman unless you are there mid week. Closer to Coudersport the more trout hunters and shallower/more portages you will get. The boy scouts canoe the Reed Run area down around that time, very few go above there. Potato Creek has fish, dont think you will canoe it though.

Action
02-01-2007, 11:29 PM
There's been some Muskies caught all the way up by Coudersport. :shock:

treerat
02-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Never floated it but have fished a little on the Allegheny . Another option for you is the Oswayo .Its canoeable from Shinglehouse Pa to Portville Ny .Definately home to Muskys ,smallmouths and eyes . I have been from Shinglehouse to Ceres in the canoe

Gilligan
02-02-2007, 05:09 PM
There's been some Muskies caught all the way up by Coudersport. :shock:

Wouldn't doubt it. I've seen them at Reed Run area (6 mi downstream from Coudy) and with the low/warm waters of past few years I would suspect they are getting further up. Flood control in Coudy keeps lots of trout pooled on west side until there is enough flow to get upstream. Muskie could have some fine feasting if they got to there!